Thread: Stored guns

Stored guns

Can anyone tell me if airguns that have been stored in their boxes in a suitable location and un-used for a long time will fire ok without any servicing or anything please?

Depends really on the type of piston head. FWB and some Original nylon/plastic seals have been know to deteriorate with age. Leather, on the other hand can shrink slightly but respond to a bit of oil.
    Perhaps it better to strip, check and re-lube the rifle (which is ) in question.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

If you are talking springers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie-boy View Post
    Can anyone tell me if airguns that have been stored in their boxes in a suitable location and un-used for a long time will fire ok without any servicing or anything please?
    Best to strip them down, inspect and re-lube after lengthy storage (>1.5 years). You may end up damaging the insides if you use them and the lube has dried up or piston washers etc have crumbled.

Same as a car really.

(Possibly with the exception of the FWB150/300 series and their pistol sisters the FWB65/80, which are almost maintenance-free).

edbear2 Guest
    As the others have said.......On a personal experience note...I got a BSA rifle a couple of years ago that had been in a gunsmiths storage room for over 25 years......although the outside was fine, the leather piston washer was dust........I would highly recommend a strip and lube, even after a year or so........even a month in a damp attic can wreak havoc, as I seem to remember from an old thread on here

stored guns

I had this experience personally with a BSA Scorpion pistol,the nylon piston seal turned to mush,making the stripdown even more difficult.
    atb Glyn

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    The worst stored gun i ever saw was in an abandoned motor yacht. The boat had been left for 30 years and filled with rain water to a depth of 4 feet, I was tasked to help dispose of it & i drilled several large holes to let the water out.
    When we went inside it was a ruin with all the bulkheads & woodwork literally disintegrating. In a wardrobe i found a Diana G80 which had been standing up to its trigger guard in stagnant water all those years, it was red with rust.
    Once stripped & cleaned it actually wasnt too bad & actually shoots quite well.
    It won't win any beauty contests though!

Thanks everyone for the advice - the gun in question is a Webley Tempest I've just bought off here - I haven't actually received it yet, but the seller says it's been stored from new and never been fired! I believe they stopped making these in 2005, so it's been stored for at least 4 years.
    I'll take your advice and get it stripped and re-lubed.
    Thanks again chaps.
    Frank.