Thread: Airgun size plastic bags ?

Airgun size plastic bags ?

Was thinking of tucking my small airgun collection away for the near future, whilst I give into the missis and concentrate my efforts on becoming grown up and a more sucessful economic unit.
    What I was wondering was - can you buy gun sized plastic bags to protect them ? With a light oiling that would seem a good way to store them, top to tail in the cabinet.
    I remember buying an airgun once, that came wrapped in a lovely plastic bag with the gun trade association stamped on the side, so they must be availiable some where.

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

If you do store them in bags. Don't forget to take the action out of the stock and smear it with a good quality grease. Also, get yourself a supply of silica gel bags to put in the bags with your gun. This will prevent moisture building-up inside the bag due to temperature changes. Check the guns at least once a year; preferably more often than that.

Cheers,
    Andy.

Cool Airgun size plastic bags ?

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Was thinking of tucking my small airgun collection away for the near future, whilst I give into the missis and concentrate my efforts on becoming grown up and a more sucessful economic unit.
    What I was wondering was - can you buy gun sized plastic bags to protect them ? With a light oiling that would seem a good way to store them, top to tail in the cabinet.
    I remember buying an airgun once, that came wrapped in a lovely plastic bag with the gun trade association stamped on the side, so they must be availiable some where.

Cheers
    If you are certain that oiled and wrapped in a plastic bag is the way to go why not try an air rifle manufacturer....BSA/Webley etc? They may sell the bags you require.....who knows?
    Personally I "store" mine in a good, dry environment inside a gun bag.
    Maybe someone on the airgunbbs knows the best way?
    Freedom needs a soldier.

Airgun sized plastic bags

Hi all,
    Plastic bags are not a good way of protecting your guns. Water vapour can pass through the plastic to the inside where it condenses to form water, the water molecules are too large to pass through the plastic and so are trapped inside and will form rust very quickly. Best solution is a good quality clean mineral oil and wrap in waxed paper or similar. The other alternative is to use vapour phase inhibitor[vpi] impregnated paper ,if you can still buy it, wrap the gun in that and store in a warm dry place.
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

Hi all,

I have seen silicone impregnated gun socks on offer for about £8.00. Does anyone know if they are any good for long term storage?

Id buy 5 or 10 sheets of this paper (its cheap as chips) and wrap them up tied with string or something similar:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local/..._2e#aVCI_2e_2e

That paper has kept my cast Iron surface table pristine for 3 or so years.

Dave
    Solutions by Sanderson
    Solving and Saving stuff for the sake of it

Hi,

Was thinking of using those napier vapour seal sachets in the cabinet.

Will water molecules really get through plastic bags ?

The inhibitor paper looks very handy especially as a final line of defense inside the bag.

I've seen guns rust really quickly in gunslips, so don't really fancy that route.

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Hi all
    Water vapour passes through plastic bags but condensed water molecules will not, thats why the water collects in the bag.
    The paper in the previous reply looks like VPI Impregnated and it would be ideal for wrapping and storing guns in a warm dry place.
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!