Thread: its only a game

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!

Red face its only a game

AGGH, think I知 beginning to lose sight of the ubc spirit,
    just shooting my 6yrd scores for the month, shot the 2 handed, had a check after each shot, oh things are looking good here, half way through the 1 handed, oh I think I知 going to do really well this month, oh bugger I cant pull the trigger I just saw my hand shack, right recompose, breath, aghr same again, 20 mins trying to take the last but one shot, what happens on the white <insert a profanity and the noise of a hw40 being slammed onto a table>
    Went out to check and yep a 6, that痴 all gone to pot then.
    Annoying thing is i went back in reloaded for the last shot, point bang. 10.

Think I知 going to have to relax a bit before shooting the other comps.
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    The competitive spirit is necessary. But it wrecks our chances for a good score if we let it get out of hand. And as you say, it wrecks the fun spirit of the UBC. if we want to win more so than we want to enjoy.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    The competitive spirit is necessary. But it wrecks our chances for a good score if we let it get out of hand. And as you say, it wrecks the fun spirit of the UBC. if we want to win more so than we want to enjoy.

Jim
    its not the wining the comp, its the Virgo in me trying to be a perfectionist, and me competing against myself
    Sliced bread.

get yourself a skif, then it'll be an achievment just to hit the target.

certainly if my score this month is anything to go by.

Watch out Paddy I'm coming to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey1234 View Post
    get yourself a skif, then it'll be an achievement just to hit the target.

certainly if my score this month is anything to go by.

Watch out Paddy I'm coming to get you.
    haha that's lightened the mood considerably, haven't had a good laugh all day
    Sliced bread.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    AGGH, think I知 beginning to lose sight of the ubc spirit,
    just shooting my 6yrd scores for the month, shot the 2 handed, had a check after each shot, oh things are looking good here, half way through the 1 handed, oh I think I知 going to do really well this month, oh bugger I cant pull the trigger I just saw my hand shack, right recompose, breath, aghr same again, 20 mins trying to take the last but one shot, what happens on the white <insert a profanity and the noise of a hw40 being slammed onto a table>
    Went out to check and yep a 6, that痴 all gone to pot then.
    Annoying thing is i went back in reloaded for the last shot, point bang. 10.

Think I知 going to have to relax a bit before shooting the other comps.

O Sol a Mio, , I used to do the same thing when I played golf. I would add my score up after 9 holes, Oh Goody only 3 over, then I would slice the next drive OOB and walk away with a 10 on a par 4. Then I'd try to spear the bottom of the golf bag with each club. Didn't throw them as I nearly lost a 3 iron in long grass once before. After that I didn't give a toss, Boy was I good then. 30 foot putts no problem, straightest drives ever. Go figure

I used to play to golf to relax, Ha, fat chance, that's why I gave it up, too much stress

UBC comps are much more fun, no real pressure.

You're right it is just a game

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post

Jim

Fully agree with Jim. Sometimes we try too hard and loose the fun element.

Just my two cents worth.

When you raise your pistol to shoot don't hold the shot too long, 1 1/2 to 2 seconds should be enough. Any more and the pistol can start swaying, your grip gets inconsistent and it all goes to pot. Relax when you're shooting Bullseye.

I only ever check the first shot placement then finnish the string of shots with the same aimpoint. If they've landed left/right high/low then the sights need adjusting or shift your aimpoint.

Be totally positive, never be surprised if you make a good shot, be surprised if you make a bad shot. Shoot a variety of different paper targets.

Good luck, Phil

I never look at my targets until all ten shots are fired (bullseye excepted). In the black I can't usually see where they are, unless you hit the dead centre when the red dot disappears, so I've been told. Don't usually get many in the white area fortunately; although I frequently get a nice little circle of holes around the 7 ring.
    When I've shot all ten I add them up, cry a little maybe, send the e mail, and wait for them to be published. Then we get the second bit of fun; the banter on the forum, and especially with Paddy
    Now and then I surprise myself, see results for this round of the vintage competition. That's really great, but I'm kind of glad it doesn't happen all the time. Being on top there's only one way too go, down.
    I like Paul's golf analogy. I used to play golf and gave up once I'd ceased to enjoy it. I don't intend to let that happen with my shooting.

There's a lot to be said for an activity where I get as much fun out of missing as I do out of hitting something.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it