Thread: Quirkiest Airgun designs ever?......

Quirkiest Airgun designs ever?......

Hi All,

If you had to list the top ten quirkiest airgun designs ever, what would they be?

In no particular order, here are mine to start the ball rolling

1) Improved Britannia Rifle

2) Cogswell and Harrison Certus Airpistol

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../299004783.jpg

3) Whishcombe Rifle

4) Record Champion and/or Record Jumbo
    (picture of Record Champion repeater below)
    http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../343834813.jpg

5) Cometa Indian Air pistol

6) Haenel drum magazine Repeater Air Rifle

7) Wesley Richards Highest Possible Air Pistol

8) Sterling Arms HR81/83 Rifles

9) Brown Pneumatic Pistol

10) Parker Patent wind-up pistol

Anyone else got any idea's? Or does anyone else agree with my list

ATB

Lakey

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Quirkest........

Hi Lakey, what about the Bowket JB1. It takes so many different movements to cock and load , it must be included. Cheers !!

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

the browning electric cocking gun ....couldnt use it for hunting lol

The one Robert Beeman mention in The Blue Book Of Airguns which was in the shape of a trumpet so it could shoot confetti at weddings
    Theres also the wooden one Dennis Hiller wrote about.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

How about Hw77 with a sten like stick magazine @ 45 degrees to breech ???

I find the recoilless match springers pretty quirky, squeezed into a couple of decades between a century of comparatively simple springers before the early 1960s and the high-tech pneumatic match pump ups from the late '70s onwards. The way these rifles combatted recoil - the Diana Giss-type mechanism with gears and opposing pistons, Anschutz with spring and then oil dampers, FWB with precision sliding sledges, all seem ingeniously quirky to me.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quirky

Quakenbush..air and .22 rimmy combined .you changed the breech washer.read it in Airgun world years ago..i wonder how long that was ago?.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Baldyman View Post
    Quakenbush..air and .22 rimmy combined .you changed the breech washer.read it in Airgun world years ago..i wonder how long that was ago?.
    my uncle had one if i remember correctly you took out the breech washer and replaced it with a firing pin thingy you could only use the short FAIRGROUND TYPE bullets though it didnt look very strong either
    wonder what happened to it

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Haenal pneumatic target rifle - was it the 522 or something? it was an overlever single stroke.

The freakish compression-ignition air/smokeless powder rifle the Daisy V22 (or something) which used hot spring-compressed air to ignite powder glued in the base of a lightweight .22 bullet - but that is not an airgun.

The Webley Omega. Skan rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The Haenal pneumatic target rifle - was it the 522 or something? it was an overlever single stroke.

The freakish compression-ignition air/smokeless powder rifle the Daisy V22 (or something) which used hot spring-compressed air to ignite powder glued in the base of a lightweight .22 bullet - but that is not an airgun.

The Webley Omega. Skan rifles.
    Ooooh! Thats going to put you in the naughty book.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Baldyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    my uncle had one if i remember correctly you took out the breech washer and replaced it with a firing pin thingy you could only use the short FAIRGROUND TYPE bullets though it didnt look very strong either
    wonder what happened to it
    I was shown one of these the other day, briefly, by the owner. It was basically a Gem-type gun with a very thick, heavy barrel. A small receptacle inletted into the stock was storage for a small firing device. It had a stem that I think fitted backwards into the transfer port. At the other end was a flat face with two small humps near the rim that apparently activated the primer in the rimfire cartridge when the stem was struck by the piston. There was a small hole in the top of the air chamber with a screw in it, removeable to let the compressed air escape ahead of the piston when in 'firearm mode'. I'm not certain about this description because I only had a quick glimpse, but it seemed to make sense at the time.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Spartan rifle, guaranteed to raise a few eyebrows when turning up with one at a new club........

Dave