Thread: Triumph, norton air-rifles

Triumph, norton air-rifles

It is not well known but ALL the major British motorcycle manufacturers attempted to break into the Air Rifle market before the War.

Of course they had no direct interest in making air-rifles, being obsessed with horsepower, grinding valves and winning races and gaining Military contracts. Their real reason was to unsettle BSA as the 'Bandus Superbius' of both Motorcycle and Air Rifle manufacture. The results were indifferent; they all copied BSA's basic underlever design but each had their trademark faults and all failed to come to market.

Here are a few examples ...

The Triumph Trident
    - available in .177, .22 and .25 was experimentally loaned to farmers in Fiji, but they found that it leaked oil, vibrated and had to be - in their own words - 'coddled in Cold Weather'. Only 24 ever made.

The Norton Dominator - a .22 rifle, unique in having a full-length stock, in the style of the Mannlicher hunting rifle of the period, a batch of ten were tried out by His Majesty's Royal Mounted Canadian Horse Police. While they handled tremendously well, and could be easily snatched uo to aim from the Mounted Police rifle-buckets, they were temperamental and fragile, leading to the loss of two men who were savaged to death by a pack of Prarie Dogs. All were destroyed.

The AMC Jam-Pot - a cheap break-barrel plinker aimed at the Youth Market, the design was found to be made of insufficiently sturdy steel and the prototype was scrapped after some informal target shooting. The barrel was found to have become 'curved like a humming-bird's bill' by tea-time.

The Royal Enfield Methusela - one of the only air-rifles of the time to be made entirely from solid Steel forgings and Teak, it was found, at over 30 lbs, to be too heavy for the average shooter. A gun-carriage was designed, but the Methusela was written-off by an enraged board of directors.

The Francis-Barnett Griffin - a truly 'wet' air-rifle, this was only capable of firing ripe Elderberries in an early version of the game now known as 'paintball'. Banned from sale by the Ministry of War as likely to reduce adolescent military fervour to enthusiasm for a playground sport.

Many others were produced but, as I pointed out at the start, the hearts of the engineers were not in it. Only BSA managed to straddle Bikes and Air Rifles with ease and grace. (Ease and Grace were to be out fifth and sixth daughters, but we were not blessed with them.).
    Last edited by Mr D; 14-12-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Once again Mr D, I thank you for the very welcome light relief that you bring.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 14-12-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: coz I can.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

you forgot the VELLOCETTE VENOM custom shop special

I put a few bits together of the said Triumph & Norton many years back called it a Triton. This cured the vibration problem probably due to the full-length stock. I’d give it 10 out of 10 for aim & control results were fantastic

Thumbs up Hooray!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Once again Mr D, I thank you for the very welcome light relief that you bring.

Mr G Dubya-B..
    Glad to see you back in full communication mode!
    Freedom needs a soldier.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    But surely the rarest of them all must be the strange part spring part powerband powered air rifle produced in a collaboration between Vincent & Durex, the black Shadow, rendered impotent by the wrong kind of rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by cambrai1917 View Post

Mr G Dubya-B..
    Glad to see you back in full communication mode!
    Cheers chum, gave up trying to get the old PC mended when the third week off line was just days away from becoming a reality, and bought a new computer -- whats more, this new one ain't steam driven, either . Ha ha. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post

But surely the rarest of them all must be the strange part spring part powerband powered air rifle produced in a collaboration between Vincent & Durex, the black Shadow, rendered impotent by the wrong kind of rubber.
    ... Ooh, that's good, very good indeed. Well done Keith.

It's very warm in Fiji.... all the time.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Many years ago I built one called a Norvin, it handled better than expected due to (feather) bedded stock, power was pretty good for its day, mainly due to the twin cylinder design but vibration on firing (up) was a bit hairy, as was the recoil (from kickstart) if you wasnt careful

I did think of another called an AJS, development was going ok, did away with Jampots as too ugly addition to the stock, but all work was stopped due to chronic dieselling due to oil leak from barrel, which also didnt help with lock (up) time
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Let's not forget the "special" Triumphs built by Les Harris down in Devon. Same old stock british built, but with newer Italian Paoli springing. Large swept volume but limited on compresssion

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-rap Shot View Post
    Let's not forget the "special" Triumphs built by Les Harris down in Devon. Same old stock british built, but with newer Italian Paoli springing. Large swept volume but limited on compresssion
    Les Harris was a real innovator - he was one of a small number of people to successfuly make industrial parts out of reject cheese. They were absolutely fine so long as you stuck to two basic rules:

a) You never attempted to use them for anything other than stocking shelves in old semi-abandoned warehouses...

and

b) You kept them well away from mice and rats.
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    They were absolutely fine so long as you stuck to two basic rules:

a) You never attempted to use them for anything other than stocking shelves in old semi-abandoned warehouses...

and

b) You kept them well away from mice and rats.
    Class, Paddy.

I've always felt these rules should be applied to Chinese air rifles also.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.