Thread: Webley Patriot-a review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hey Nick - how about this for a project for the New Year - I detune my .25 Eliminator to 26fpe and bring it down for a side-by-side comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by lionel View Post
    Hey Nick - how about this for a project for the New Year - I detune my .25 Eliminator to 26fpe and bring it down for a side-by-side comparison?

Fine by me old cock. Happy Christmas to you and yours by the way.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

When it comes to refinement, an out of the box Eliminator has the edge only due to its powerplant. A gasram is always going to be smoother than a spring. My Kodiak puts out 28-29ft/lb and my target bears out its capability. In the field or on the range I'll be very surprised if the eliminator can exceed such performance, as Lionel suggested tune the Eliminator to your Patriot's power level and shoot them back to back.

Merry Christmas.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
    When it comes to refinement, an out of the box Eliminator has the edge only due to its powerplant. A gasram is always going to be smoother than a spring. My Kodiak puts out 28-29ft/lb and my target bears out its capability. In the field or on the range I'll be very surprised if the eliminator can exceed such performance, as Lionel suggested tune the Eliminator to your Patriot's power level and shoot them back to back.

Merry Christmas.
    And to you too.
    Actually I shot Lionel's rifle before he did when another friend owned it. I remember that at the lower levels this particular Eliminator was very smooth indeed thus my comments because I have never owned a .25 Eliminator only .20 and .22. I have also only owned a .25 Patriot so it will be interesting to do the back to back as suggested.

One thing I do disagree with you on though is your assertion that a gas ram will always be smoother than a spring. Most of the shooters you talk to in the UK complain that the gas ram is too snappy. That can be as a result of over-pressuring it and it very often is. However, disregarding that, most of my friends much prefer to shoot a tuned springer rather than a gas ram. Also bear in mind that the price difference between a gas ram rifle and a quality springer leaves you enough money to tune the springer. OK perhaps not to top standard but I have yet to meet a shooter who would prefer a legal limit gas ram to a lazaglided springer but I'm sure they do exist.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Just joined the Patriot club.

Would like to have the original open sights on this. Does anyone have any info as to what other Webleys were fitted with the same sights as the Patriot? And of which years?

I'm guessing that looking for "Patriot" open sights may be limiting somewhat but I'm pretty certain that what the Patriot had was shared with quite a few if not all of Webley's then current open sighted offerings, but would like confirmation / advice.

Thanks...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    All Iam gonna say on this is that you get alot of rifle for the money.
    I'm forever blowing "Bubbles"

Hi air-tech, i hope you enjoy the patriot ,i will shortly be enjoying a .20 eliminator i am getting from Nick, once my fac variation comes through , really looking forward to this should be great fun, i have no problem cocking these guns , and lots of practise will improve my handling for consistant accuracy .
    atvb brian

Hi Brian TBH the gun is still with the Police here in Malta so I can't get my hands on it till it's on my licence, can't wait to have a go with it!

All went fine at the end of the day with Mr RW's help notwithstanding that Gatwick airport must be (under)staffed by idiots... would you believe it took close to 2 hrs to sort out the export, each time I take some guns out I hear a different version of what needs to be done, this time they told us that Customs don't need to see the guns, crazy...

Anyway will eventually tidy the gun up a bit hence asking about the sights though there is always the option of blanking the holes with a grub screws.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Seasons greetings to you Air -tech and all airgunners in Malta and the uk too
    atb brian

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Just joined the Patriot club.

Would like to have the original open sights on this. Does anyone have any info as to what other Webleys were fitted with the same sights as the Patriot? And of which years?

I'm guessing that looking for "Patriot" open sights may be limiting somewhat but I'm pretty certain that what the Patriot had was shared with quite a few if not all of Webley's then current open sighted offerings, but would like confirmation / advice.

Thanks...
    Try www.gunspares.co.uk
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Brian,

When are we going to read the review of your Patriot you've been promising me?

Brian,

When are we going to read the review of your Patriot you've been promising me?
    Sorry Vulcanator i never managed to use the gun much at all but have now got a shoot where the eliminator .20 is going tp be useful , the .25 had to go to open a fac slot for the .20, i still have my .25 rapid @50fpe and intend in 2010 to develop that,
    atb brian
    ps, happy xmas to you and all that side of the pond.

Iirc uk stingray sights are the same as the Pats.Not the turks!Wouldnt use them though, they have ltd adjustment. They fly apart easily, stripping the thread rendering the useless. I have a webley coverplate over the rear sight screws, the 1 fitted on Trackers etc. Fits great.
    Why wasnt the Pat loved: it squeeks etc when cocking, it twangs, it kicks like a mule, has cockinglinkplay and a bad trigger.. They're just very rough rifles.
    When its shot A LOT it gets better though, firing nicely, decent trigger.
    Blueing is always the best.
    Now they dont make it anymore everyone wants 1, funny, its still the same rifle!
    I have both the Eli and Pat, both .22
    The Eli is FAR too expensive for the quality it has, and its finished less
    It does shoot nicer though and has a better trigger
    With the pat I've had broken and bent (loctited!)stockscrews. It also tends to elongate its stockholes. The Eli isnt perfect either though, I had a cockinglinkpin walking out and it now is at 20Ftp..
    I still have both though. The Eli WILL be nice to shoot once fixed and let down to about 24Ftp. The Pat is a collectorsitem. And imo easier to shoot as the Eli.Mine hasnt seen much use, maybe 1/2 tins. And it was quite accurate I must say.
    In .177 rams can be quite lively indeed. Especially in short barrels.
    I like my Pat though, just because the way the beast ís. Would love to have 1 in .25 I am now having tight guides fitted to the standard spring, maybe insulator. Would make it far better. Didnt like the maccarikit..It also has a goldplated trigger by the way.
    ATB,
    yana

Yeay, doh...

Bought off Chambers a couple of times, so it's only my mind failing me - all I need do is compare part numbers across Webleys...

Thanks for the reminder.

ATB to you too Brian and all wherever you may be and happy shooting in 2010!

Aside, I also have an Eliminator pending clearance with the Patriot, however it's in .22 rather than .25. The Webley is also a gas ram however so we should have an interesting side by side.