Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
In spite of your 'tribulations' with your HW80, I think you made the right call! As a general purpose self contained FAC air rifle a Weihrauch HW80 in .22 or .20 would be my choice based on every rifle I have owned and those I have shot. Note however my use of 'general purpose'. My problem is that I don't need a 'general purpose rifle: I need rifle dedicated to doing a particular job. That is why I use either a 30 ft lb.Rapid or a .22LR for hunting and vermin control over distance, a 17HMR for longer range work and a Falcon Lighthunter .177 for use around buildings and up into trees.. The self contained FAC rifles-Eliminator and HW80 which I had owned for ages- have been sold because of my bad shoulder and because I only ever intended them for use as backup and to use on the rare occasions when I wanted something totally different.
When Gareth's Patriot came up I used the slot I had been keeping for a .25 Rapid and the result is this review. The biggest surprise for me has been the ease of cocking and that is why I like it so much.
Yes I know you're right Nick (about the section I've highlighted) but the grass is always greener...

I am still on the lookout for something short(ish), light, probably .22 and sub 12fpe for my close up shooting around the farm. An old FN12 is probably favourite for that one but who knows... I do think a 26-28fpe .25 Patriot would be good, though maybe a little more than I really need.