Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webley Patriot-a review

Brian,

When are we going to read the review of your Patriot you've been promising me?
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
    Brian,

When are we going to read the review of your Patriot you've been promising me?
    Sorry Vulcanator i never managed to use the gun much at all but have now got a shoot where the eliminator .20 is going tp be useful , the .25 had to go to open a fac slot for the .20, i still have my .25 rapid @50fpe and intend in 2010 to develop that,
    atb brian
    ps, happy xmas to you and all that side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by brian747 View Post
    Sorry Vulcanator i never managed to use the gun much at all but have now got a shoot where the eliminator .20 is going tp be useful , the .25 had to go to open a fac slot for the .20, i still have my .25 rapid @50fpe and intend in 2010 to develop that,
    atb brian
    ps, happy xmas to you and all that side of the pond.
    I hope you got a good price for the gun but I'd be interested in a comparison between the Eliminator and the Patriot from your own experiences.

Merry Christmas.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Looking forward to an eventual back to back test!

I bought a .25 Patriot as part of my initial FAC approvals - I sold it again a few months later.

Out of the box, the rifle was weighty and seemed a solidly constructed, nicely blued piece of kit.

Oh my God, it kicked!

I found that a long shooting session was physically painful on my shoulder - from a bloody air-rifle!

In its standard form it was twangy and the muzzle crack was noticable. Accuracy was not that great and I soon got rid of it. Compared to my .22lr it scored poorly and accordingly it was put away and not used.

It sounds from the comments on this thread, as though tuning is required to turn the standard offering into an acceptable tool.

Rgds

Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    Looking forward to an eventual back to back test!

I bought a .25 Patriot as part of my initial FAC approvals - I sold it again a few months later.

Out of the box, the rifle was weighty and seemed a solidly constructed, nicely blued piece of kit.

Oh my God, it kicked!

I found that a long shooting session was physically painful on my shoulder - from a bloody air-rifle!

In its standard form it was twangy and the muzzle crack was noticable. Accuracy was not that great and I soon got rid of it. Compared to my .22lr it scored poorly and accordingly it was put away and not used.

It sounds from the comments on this thread, as though tuning is required to turn the standard offering into an acceptable tool.

Rgds

Mod
    Please don't look for anything formal like a back to back test! It will be an informal shoot.
    Tuning is definitely necessary-I knew that before I bought the rifle from Gareth W-B and from comments made by Baz when the performance of the Patriot had come up on other threads. Mine certainly doesn't kick and the cocking effort is much less than with the Eliminator. Accuracy is perfectly acceptable and for what it is 'best at'-reasonably close range vermin control-the .25 slugs really pack a nasty whack.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Yeay, doh...

Bought off Chambers a couple of times, so it's only my mind failing me - all I need do is compare part numbers across Webleys...

Thanks for the reminder.

ATB to you too Brian and all wherever you may be and happy shooting in 2010!

Aside, I also have an Eliminator pending clearance with the Patriot, however it's in .22 rather than .25. The Webley is also a gas ram however so we should have an interesting side by side.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post

Rgds

Mod
    My Kodiak (aka Patriot) is in standard condition and puts in perfectly good accuracy, check out my target in the link that I submitted in post No.4 of this thread. Like you, when I got mine after about 50 shots my shoulder and arm muscles felt it but with practice I got used to it. You could say the cocking effort puts a Bullworker to shame as an exercise tool! I'll probably tune mine when I wear the mainspring out or consider a gasram conversion. I still think the rifle presents outstanding value for an FAC springer, tuned or untuned.

My Kodiak (aka Patriot) is in standard condition and puts in perfectly good accuracy, check out my target in the link that I submitted in post No.4 of this thread. Like you, when I got mine after about 50 shots my shoulder and arm muscles felt it but with practice I got used to it. You could say the cocking effort puts a Bullworker to shame as an exercise tool! I'll probably tune mine when I wear the mainspring out or consider a gasram conversion. I still think the rifle presents outstanding value for an FAC springer, tuned or untuned.

Not sure that the EXPORT version which you obviously have isn't tuned a bit before they sell it to you. Any company selling into the US market should make a lot more effort than selling to us poor mug Brits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Not sure that the EXPORT version which you obviously have isn't tuned a bit before they sell it to you. Any company selling into the US market should make a lot more effort than selling to us poor mug Brits.
    As a mug myself the only difference I see on my Kodiak are the stampings on the breech block. I bought mine used and judging by the look of the somewhat dry mainspring in the cocking slot it appears to be "plain Jane!" It does twang a bit on the firing cycle so I suspect it is standard.

Iirc uk stingray sights are the same as the Pats.Not the turks!Wouldnt use them though, they have ltd adjustment. They fly apart easily, stripping the thread rendering the useless. I have a webley coverplate over the rear sight screws, the 1 fitted on Trackers etc. Fits great.
    Why wasnt the Pat loved: it squeeks etc when cocking, it twangs, it kicks like a mule, has cockinglinkplay and a bad trigger.. They're just very rough rifles.
    When its shot A LOT it gets better though, firing nicely, decent trigger.
    Blueing is always the best.
    Now they dont make it anymore everyone wants 1, funny, its still the same rifle!
    I have both the Eli and Pat, both .22
    The Eli is FAR too expensive for the quality it has, and its finished less
    It does shoot nicer though and has a better trigger
    With the pat I've had broken and bent (loctited!)stockscrews. It also tends to elongate its stockholes. The Eli isnt perfect either though, I had a cockinglinkpin walking out and it now is at 20Ftp..
    I still have both though. The Eli WILL be nice to shoot once fixed and let down to about 24Ftp. The Pat is a collectorsitem. And imo easier to shoot as the Eli.Mine hasnt seen much use, maybe 1/2 tins. And it was quite accurate I must say.
    In .177 rams can be quite lively indeed. Especially in short barrels.
    I like my Pat though, just because the way the beast ís. Would love to have 1 in .25 I am now having tight guides fitted to the standard spring, maybe insulator. Would make it far better. Didnt like the maccarikit..It also has a goldplated trigger by the way.
    ATB,
    yana

I think the Patriot is at its best in .25 or .22 calibre, the .177 version would give me pause. Even pushing a heavy pellet, the .177 version probably has the harshest firing cycle.

I agree, .177 is not a good magnum springer caliber.
    Maybe .25 for me 1 day..
    Offtopic: Nice to see you have a Hipower too by the way
    ATB,
    yana

I've just been using my Patriot and thought I'd post a few comments on this thread.
    Firstly, I chronoe-ed it. Not something I do very often but I wanted to see what it was actually doing. The answer is 800 ft sec with H & N FTT 20.1 grain pellets so 28 ft lb. Perfectly acceptable and a remarkable 3 ft sec variation over my test.
    I set about shooting a few pellets and can report a) it didn't kick b) my shoulder is more than up to cocking the rifle c)the accuracy was perfectly acceptable-one big hole group over my 30 metre measured range and d) a nasty audible whack as the pellet struck my target board.
    All this shooting pleasure for £200 including a good scope-Simmons Pro Air 6-18x40 which is ideal for the rifle so I am 'well pleased.'
    For those of you who are interested in a comparison with the Eliminator well here goes.
    I have owned 4 Eliminators and used several more including a very refined .25 owned by my friend Lionel on here which was formerly owned by Jon Budd who knows a thing or two about shooting. I sold my last one-a .20-to Brian747 as I found the cocking effort too much for my bad shoulder. He can speak for himself but I believe that he is delighted with the rifle unlike the rabbits on his shoot. Now for the conclusion: ignoring the cocking for a moment, for me the best self contained air rifle I have ever used is the .20 Eliminator. Taking cocking effort into account I would choose a Venom tuned Weihrauch HW80-probably in .22. which would however cost quite a lot more.
    As it is my current 'bad boy' is a .25 Patriot with a garish stock and that is likely to be with me for a long time.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    If I had FAC it'd be the first rifle I'd buy no doubts, mucho bargains in my opinion. 2nd would be a a .25 cal mk2 Huntsman thumbhole as Ive allways wanted one of them too

Had a few shots with a .25" set at 34lb.ft. Two arms to cock it and the vibration through the trigger blade when shot left a mark in my finger.

Quality rifle to look at and build quality seem good, but totally impractical at that lb.ft if you ask me. At the time I was shown a replacement F.A.C spring for the rifle. It was knocking on for twice the length as a standard jobbie.

Interesting experience, but not a rifle I'd change a .22" rimmie for.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.