Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webley Patriot-a review

The rifle Nick has was mine at one time and it has non std spring and piston washer, the Patriot Brian speaks of had a gas ram fitted

The usual achilles heel of the Patriot was too much spring and too little piston washer, they can run themselves in eventually and sweeten up (if you havent expired by then)

But IMO the Eliminator in .22 or .25 will beat the Patriot as far as shootability goes, once of course you have got used to it

When the Pat first came out Webley and Theoben had a back to back gruelling test (which was in AGW I believe) Ben told me about it and brute performance wise there was little in it but the Eliminator pipped the Pat in silly long range testing, I seem to remember Tony at Theoben was hitting a litre plastic bottle at around 150yds consistently, my memory may be not as sharp as it was but thats the gist of what happened
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    The rifle Nick has was mine at one time and it has non std spring and piston washer, the Patriot Brian speaks of had a gas ram fitted

The usual achilles heel of the Patriot was too much spring and too little piston washer, they can run themselves in eventually and sweeten up (if you havent expired by then)

But IMO the Eliminator in .22 or .25 will beat the Patriot as far as shootability goes, once of course you have got used to it

When the Pat first came out Webley and Theoben had a back to back gruelling test (which was in AGW I believe) Ben told me about it and brute performance wise there was little in it but the Eliminator pipped the Pat in silly long range testing, I seem to remember Tony at Theoben was hitting a litre plastic bottle at around 150yds consistently, my memory may be not as sharp as it was but thats the gist of what happened

Funnily enough I saw Tony last week with Costas and we were chatting about long range use of the Eliminator. I am very pleased with this Patriot-it certainly isn't difficult to cock and shoots pretty well. 28 ft lb with 20 grain pellets gives a pretty reasonable trajectory. The rifle maybe isn't as smooth as an Eliminator but it certainly isn't the twanging beast I had heard about. You did a good job on this rifle Baz so thank you!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Glad to hear the Patriot is agreeing with you. Perhaps more owners will speak out and address its undeserved reputation. For the money you pay for them in the UK they are hard to beat.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    After shooting nikos's .25 patiot I have changed my views on the rifle.
    Easy to cock and I mean easy, lovely trigger, and deadly accurate without too much recoil, one of the best springers Ive shot in a long time, top bit of kit. You lucky man nickos from Mogador.
    I'm forever blowing "Bubbles"

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    i own a patriot had it for years tuned it to around 24ftb using slightly weaker spring fitted a piston sleeve a good tight fitting steel spring guide and tight nylon top hat it shoots great low recoil very smooth with no spring noise forget fitting gas rams to these they are rubbish good tuning is the way to go for good accuracy and an all round good performance the trigger is very nice to i would say the patriot once sorted is the best allround recoilling fac airgun and they are getting very collectable now the best webley springer ever made by far.

Dave.
    Praise indeed from a guy like you Dave. I'm pleased to own one especially such a nice one as this.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Question Quick question chaps.

Are the .25 cal Webley barrels true .25 sized or undersized like BSA's .25 barrels???

I think the Patriot is the best Webley ever made too, excellent quality and far better than the other Webleys, they should have cost a little more and had decent guides, springs and piston washers from new, plus forget the 30+ftlb in .22 and set them up at cruising power

Same can be said for the Eliminator too, sweetest at around 25/26ftlb in .22 in my opinion
    Baz

Same can be said for the Eliminator too, sweetest at around 25/26ftlb in .22 in my opinion[/QUOTE]

O, oh! Sounds like I have to pump up mine to above factory pressure than!
    The newer Eli's all seem to settle as very low velocities, mine's around 23/24Ftp now, and its standard and not leaking..

I agree good tune is better than gasstrut. I have my Pat stock back, stockholes have bushings now, also, Maccari kit is OUT, standard spring + tight guide is IN. Welcome back!! Now replacing the bent screws and we're back in business!
    Imo Pat is nót their best rifle. Longbow is more civilised design, has a nice LW barrel, no twang, no link play, and FAR better trigger..Patriot is pre-venom design, its a tool but not refined at all.., Kinda antique design..
    ATB,
    yana

The Longbow wont reach Patriots performance even when shortstroke rubbish is removed, nice rifle though, strange stock grip though, I have hands like JCB shovels and it still seemed designed for a giant

Tuned Longbow in a decent stock (std Walnut looks like desklid quality)
    Baz

I had an Eliminator/Crusader here that shot at 20ftlb sweet as a nut and it only had a 12" barrel And was easy enough to cock with HW moderator fitted
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    Are the .25 cal Webley barrels true .25 sized or undersized like BSA's .25 barrels???

They certainly aren't tight like the BSA .243 barrels so I reckon 'true sized'.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    This is a cracking review and very interesting thread Nick, not sure how I missed it until now!

As you know I've been tempted by a Patriot for some time, especially in .25 calibre and think I might get round to putting in a variation soon so I can look for a decent one. Actually this thread almost makes me wish I'd gone for this option in the first place, instead of all the fannying around I've had with my HW80!

ATB
    Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    This is a cracking review and very interesting thread Nick, not sure how I missed it until now!

As you know I've been tempted by a Patriot for some time, especially in .25 calibre and think I might get round to putting in a variation soon so I can look for a decent one. Actually this thread almost makes me wish I'd gone for this option in the first place, instead of all the fannying around I've had with my HW80!

ATB
    Paul
    In spite of your 'tribulations' with your HW80, I think you made the right call! As a general purpose self contained FAC air rifle a Weihrauch HW80 in .22 or .20 would be my choice based on every rifle I have owned and those I have shot. Note however my use of 'general purpose'. My problem is that I don't need a 'general purpose rifle: I need rifle dedicated to doing a particular job. That is why I use either a 30 ft lb.Rapid or a .22LR for hunting and vermin control over distance, a 17HMR for longer range work and a Falcon Lighthunter .177 for use around buildings and up into trees.. The self contained FAC rifles-Eliminator and HW80 which I had owned for ages- have been sold because of my bad shoulder and because I only ever intended them for use as backup and to use on the rare occasions when I wanted something totally different.
    When Gareth's Patriot came up I used the slot I had been keeping for a .25 Rapid and the result is this review. The biggest surprise for me has been the ease of cocking and that is why I like it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by cinstone View Post
    Had a few shots with a .25" set at 34lb.ft. Two arms to cock it and the vibration through the trigger blade when shot left a mark in my finger.

Quality rifle to look at and build quality seem good, but totally impractical at that lb.ft if you ask me. At the time I was shown a replacement F.A.C spring for the rifle. It was knocking on for twice the length as a standard jobbie.

Interesting experience, but not a rifle I'd change a .22" rimmie for.

Chris.
    That is an awful lot more power than mine running at 28 ft lb-and for what? It sounds like nothing but grief.
    In a self contained rifle 6 ft lb more-or 21% more-power than mine means one thing: a bigger more powerful spring which twangs like the devil shouting for more sinners to feed the furnace. My conclusion is the same as yours-that your rifle was running way beyond its limits and that the spring should be changed.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    In spite of your 'tribulations' with your HW80, I think you made the right call! As a general purpose self contained FAC air rifle a Weihrauch HW80 in .22 or .20 would be my choice based on every rifle I have owned and those I have shot. Note however my use of 'general purpose'. My problem is that I don't need a 'general purpose rifle: I need rifle dedicated to doing a particular job. That is why I use either a 30 ft lb.Rapid or a .22LR for hunting and vermin control over distance, a 17HMR for longer range work and a Falcon Lighthunter .177 for use around buildings and up into trees.. The self contained FAC rifles-Eliminator and HW80 which I had owned for ages- have been sold because of my bad shoulder and because I only ever intended them for use as backup and to use on the rare occasions when I wanted something totally different.
    When Gareth's Patriot came up I used the slot I had been keeping for a .25 Rapid and the result is this review. The biggest surprise for me has been the ease of cocking and that is why I like it so much.
    Yes I know you're right Nick (about the section I've highlighted) but the grass is always greener...

I am still on the lookout for something short(ish), light, probably .22 and sub 12fpe for my close up shooting around the farm. An old FN12 is probably favourite for that one but who knows... I do think a 26-28fpe .25 Patriot would be good, though maybe a little more than I really need.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd