Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air leaking from Skan R32

Air leaking from Skan R32

....Hmmm as above. I have just connected the Hills pump & as fast as i pump, air appears to be escaping from the barrel. It's a new 2nd hand purchase for me so i'm not too familiar with the Skan..Am i doing something wrong or have i buggered a seal or something? I first noticed at the gun club the other night, just as i was about to finish shooting & pack-up the gun just blew its remaining air out the barrel.
    Regards,
    Toecutter

BG is offline Does not have big teeth but will sing "Staying Alive"
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    ....Hmmm as above. I have just connected the Hills pump & as fast as i pump, air appears to be escaping from the barrel. It's a new 2nd hand purchase for me so i'm not too familiar with the Skan..Am i doing something wrong or have i buggered a seal or something? I first noticed at the gun club the other night, just as i was about to finish shooting & pack-up the gun just blew its remaining air out the barrel.
    Regards,
    Toecutter
    The Skan R32 has a detachable air bottle so I don't think this is what you own. It does sound like some seal(s) have blown. I think you need to contact Mike Childs at Skan to arrange for its repair.
    Gordon

Sounds like youve run the gun too low on air and the hammer spring has over come the remaining air pressure behind the valve and dumped .
    To refil from flat try cocking the action as it take the weight of the hammer spring off the valve before pumping like mad to get the valve shut . If that doesn`t work you need to fill it from a dive cylinder as the higher pressure will shut the valve better .

Quote Originally Posted by nutshot View Post
    Sounds like youve run the gun too low on air and the hammer spring has over come the remaining air pressure behind the valve and dumped .
    To refil from flat try cocking the action as it take the weight of the hammer spring off the valve before pumping like mad to get the valve shut . If that doesn`t work you need to fill it from a dive cylinder as the higher pressure will shut the valve better .
    Thanks, just tried it & nearly gave myself a heart attack pumping, with no result. I'll get the dive bottle filled tomorow & give that a whirl, it all sounds feasable
    Regards,
    Toecutter.

skan

hammer springs holding the ex valve open, as abouve cock it and then fill ,

How are you filling the R32 with the bottle attached to the gun? I can only fill mine with the bottle off the gun.

If it is dumping the air after you attach the bottle to the gun then the exhaust valve on the gun may be jambed or stuck. Try removing it and see if has seized. You will need some long nosed pliers to pull it out. Once out clean it and put it back and try the bottle again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    How are you filling the R32 with the bottle attached to the gun? I can only fill mine with the bottle off the gun.

If it is dumping the air after you attach the bottle to the gun then the exhaust valve on the gun may be jambed or stuck. Try removing it and see if has seized. You will need some long nosed pliers to pull it out. Once out clean it and put it back and try the bottle again.
    As Gixxer says ? To the best of my knowledge, the bottle has to be taken off to charge.

Hi ....Well my Skan R32 has a quickfill adapter at the butt end which is handy, an aftermarket fitment perhaps? Anyway i got my dive bottle filled today & followed the advice regarding filling theSkan & i'm still getting air leaking. I've tried doing it cocked, un-cocked allsorts but the air is just coming out of the barrel Not knowing much about these PCP's i'm stuffed! If anybody wants to ring me so i can get hands on advice i will gladly return your call I'm all set-up to go shooting tomorrow & the bl**dy gun wont fill My number is 07776142898 & i'm sat here at the table with all the gear out smoking a fag & thinking what to do next
    Regards,
    Toecutter

Does it leak when off the gun, if so it sounds like front seal on the valve isn't holding air, I concur with the above advice but if its leaking just on the gun it could be the hammer pip is forcing the valve open, allowing air to gush down the barrel.

The Skans power can be varied (but not going into detail here), but if the spring pressure is to great internally or the pip is stuck, it'll just keep the bottle stem valve open when on the gun.

Very dangerous tinkering with these, as others have had the bottle plastic housing split which acts as the port to the barrel whilst trying to super charge these

ATB
    Paul
    Last edited by kash2001; 19-12-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: I'm ill and can't type

Quote Originally Posted by pgunning1 View Post
    Does it leak when off the gun, if so it sounds like front seal on the valve isn't holding air, I concur with the above advice but if its leaking just on the gun it could be the hammer pip is forcing the valve open, allowing air to gush down the barrel.

The Skans power can be varied (but not going into detail here), but if the spring pressure is to great internally or the pip is stuck, it'll just keep the bottle stem valve open when on the gun.

Very dangerous tinkering with these, as others have had the bottle plastic housing split which acts as the port to the barrel whilst trying to super charge these

ATB
    Paul
    No, nothing leaks when 'off the gun' The gun is completely empty & as soon as i turn on the air supply from the dive bottle to refill the guns resovoir, the air just hisses out of the barrel so i quickly shut down the dive bottle. The gun just wont hold air, also remember i dont have to remove the guns air bottle, i have a quickfill adaptor fitted into the end of the butt, i just slide the butt end up a few inches to reveal a fitting which i connect to my dive bottle that means i dont have to remove/unscrew the guns buddy bottle. I really dont want to go down to Skan's HQ to find out it's a simple fix, the sticking exhaust valve theory sounds feasable but i'm just not confident enough to take the gun apart...Yet!
    Regards,
    Toecutter

Being serious here .. but having a qf in the buddy bottle can be lethal mate !
    the bottle is only relativly thin on either the sides or the bottom,
    Ive heard some people had the "mod" in their Rapids a while ago,and browsing the U.S forums I heard some frightning stories,

But .. try cocking and firing the gun (no pellet in) as its leaking,as that might close the valve,

JASON..
    lots of takedowns

Quote Originally Posted by JJSTEALTH View Post
    Being serious here .. but having a qf in the buddy bottle can be lethal mate !
    the bottle is only relativly thin on either the sides or the bottom,
    Ive heard some people had the "mod" in their Rapids a while ago,and browsing the U.S forums I heard some frightning stories,

But .. try cocking and firing the gun (no pellet in) as its leaking,as that might close the valve,

JASON..
    they dont have a buddy bottle its an AA type cylinder with the AA QUICKFILL on the end

sniper22 Guest
    in my r32 instructions it says top up the gun with the cylinder fitted but should all the air be dumped, the cylinder must be filled off the gun. i suspect that the striker pin on the bottle pressing the firing valve holding it open.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper22 View Post
    in my r32 instructions it says top up the gun with the cylinder fitted but should all the air be dumped, the cylinder must be filled off the gun. i suspect that the striker pin on the bottle pressing the firing valve holding it open.
    Hello, I just put your theory to the test & it now does'nt leak air, sounds like you were right! But.... I think i've stuffed a few pellets up the barrel in previous fumblings. Now when fully charged i cock the gun & pull the trigger i can hear the action firing but no pellet emerges, then when i push the black cocking button on the forend of the stock a puff of air escapes from the loading area Is this consistent with having a few pellets in the barrel? Next step is to shine a torch down the barrel after making it all safe then i suppose it's off to a gunsmith. I feel a right 24 carat plonker & given myself a dam good bollocking.
    Regards,
    Toecutter

skan

ive sent you a strip guide, you can remove the barrel easily if pellets are stuck up there,if only one or two they will come out ok !