Thread: saving a mk4 airsporter questions

saving a mk4 airsporter questions

hi there , new to your forum. back to airguns after a 15 year break.
    I have inherited a mk 4 airsporter??? (GI15774) as a winter project...rusty a bit, half rubbed down to metal. still fires although bit twangy. stock ok.
    have got a new titan spring , seal and buffer washer for starters. had to rub it all down to metal, cost is an issue so is it worth re-blueing or doing a neat spray job on it??
    now on the tap i think i'm missing some bits , on one in gunshop there is an audible click where the ball bearing locates between open and closed. I have no spring or bearing and i cant see where it would fit. the tap is able to rotate 360 deg when stock is off, there does seem to be a machined out piece opposite side to the tap handle???? confused???
    any experts out there that can help with this tune up/winter project
    thanks for taking time to read. Rich

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Rich, have just approved the above, your first post, and as such, say welcome to the BBS and Collector's Corner (the best bit imo ). Regarding your Airsporter project, have a look at the Chambers web site, as they carry exploded diagrams for most BSA air rifles (among many others ), which will show what bits are needed, and what bits go where . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Regarding your Airsporter project, have a look at the Chambers web site, as they carry exploded diagrams for most BSA air rifles (among many others ), which will show what bits are needed, and what bits go where .
    Had a spare moment while having a brew, so have found the link for you: http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...=24686&cat=Mk4 (just click on the link). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi Rich, have just approved the above, your first post, and as such, say welcome to the BBS and Collector's Corner (the best bit imo ). Regarding your Airsporter project, have a look at the Chambers web site, as they carry exploded diagrams for most BSA air rifles (among many others ), which will show what bits are needed, and what bits go where . Atb: G.
    thanks for the welcome, it is the best bit , i agree !!!
    had a look on chambers first, that's where the confusion began. my tap is not like those shown. i have no hole for spring/ball bearing and the tap handle finishes rounded with no protuding bit.its almost like i'm missing a shaped plate off the opposite side to the handle. theres nothing stopping it rotating 360 deg..

OK ... I am working a bit from memory here:
    I think your is a MKIV model.
    You may have a parallel sided tap?
    On our Airsporter, the tap handle is secured by a screw/bolt through the centre of the tap handle. The opposite side of the tap has a hole for a spring and ball in the outer side of the tap barrel near the end. The ball locates into a recess in the cylinder housing. There is often a shim under the tap handle. If you remove the handle you can push the tap out ... this is when the spring and ball ping out into the sky. The tap should only rotate about 90 degrees because of a 'peg' that sticks out from the underside of the tap lever. The tap fits into a recess in the cylinder and the peg butts up against a cut out in this recess to prevent complete rotation of the tap. The tap is effectively held captive by the stock.
    I believe that some taps were tapered but do not know to which models they were fitted.

A new spring can be made from a small biro spring and a new ball from a cycle bearing ... about 1/16" size or maybe 3/322 I think.

Hoping this helps a little.
    Cheers, Phil

this is where it gets confusing ... prefix on the gun says GI which makes it mk4 , but with some digging i've found out i have a mk2 loading tap arrangement. the part im missing is an index plate which is not on a mk4 diagram from chambers... i'm confused as well.....??? the handle on the tap is fixed on with no centre screw as you , very accurately described i must say.
    maybe i have a mk2 with a mk4 stamp,maybe made at the time of changing between marks.....god knows!!!!

The Mk II loading tap was a self opening device and is therefore likely to be quite different from that fitted to the Mk IV. If you do indeed have a MkII tap fitted you will probably be best off obtaining the correct Mk IV parts.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by lurchy View Post
    hi there , new to your forum. back to airguns after a 15 year break.
    I have inherited a mk 4 airsporter??? (GI15774) as a winter project...rusty a bit, half rubbed down to metal. still fires although bit twangy. stock ok.
    have got a new titan spring , seal and buffer washer for starters. had to rub it all down to metal, cost is an issue so is it worth re-blueing or doing a neat spray job on it??
    now on the tap i think i'm missing some bits , on one in gunshop there is an audible click where the ball bearing locates between open and closed. I have no spring or bearing and i cant see where it would fit. the tap is able to rotate 360 deg when stock is off, there does seem to be a machined out piece opposite side to the tap handle???? confused???
    any experts out there that can help with this tune up/winter project
    thanks for taking time to read. Rich
    Hi Rich

And welcome to the Gentlemans Lounge.

If your tap lever is retained by screw in the center of it then you have a parallel tap which should have an indexing plate built onto the tap lever to stop it revolving through 360 degrees ?
    With the parallel tap there should be a hole drilled in the righthand side of the tap to accept a spring and bearing which holds the tap open or shut.

If your tap lever is brazed to the tap then you have a tapered tap which is indexed by a plate screwed onto the righthandside of the tap.
    This plate is held in the open or shut position by a spring and bearing which fit into a hole drilled into the gun below the tap.

If you get stuck PM me and I'll have a look for you (I live in Higham ).

All the best Mick

right then , sounds as if i have a tapered tap here then, as there is a hole under the tap which would take spring/ball bearing. looking on chambers site at the exploded diagrams i may have a mk3 type then. gonna be tough to find may have to get a picture and make one!!! that'll be fun , keep me busy for a while..thanks
    off to halfords tmrw to have a look what paints are available, cheaper option than re-blue

Quote Originally Posted by lurchy View Post
    right then , sounds as if i have a tapered tap here then, as there is a hole under the tap which would take spring/ball bearing. looking on chambers site at the exploded diagrams i may have a mk3 type then. gonna be tough to find may have to get a picture and make one!!! that'll be fun , keep me busy for a while..thanks
    off to halfords tmrw to have a look what paints are available, cheaper option than re-blue
    Use plastikote satin black - available from B&Q. Loads of thin coats and it comes up a treat.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

thanks for that tip, satin black has come up better than i expected.. stock next.......