Thread: Are AA Fields lubed?

Zanx Guest

Are AA Fields lubed?

Doesn't say anything on the tin but I've just lubed a tin of 4.50 and there's a white waxy residue inside the bag. Not had it before with other pellets.

The Birdman Guest
    Zanx, Don't lube em it's rubbish. Is it for the S400 ? You tried 4.52's ? I'll send you some if not. Most people on here use 4.52's on their S400's or S410's.

Zanx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman
    Zanx, Don't lube em it's rubbish. Is it for the S400 ? You tried 4.52's ? I'll send you some if not. Most people on here use 4.52's on their S400's or S410's.

Birdy, got a tin of 4.50 and a tin of 4.52 both lubed now

Should I give them a rinse in white spirit and let them dry off?

So are you saying they are already lubed or not?
    Last edited by Zanx; 02-10-2004 at 09:57 PM.

it's not that they're ready lubed, it's just that they don't benefit from any sort of heavy oil lubrication...

I've always used them to good effect, but then tested some Exterminators in my 400/410 and made the switch permanently

By all means try lube on your ammo, but keep a record of "what you lube with what" kinda thing - you'll soon find what your particular rifle/amo combo agrees with.

ATB,

Dan

The Birdman Guest
    I'll send you some "Clean" 4.52's if you want them. Not sure about cleaning them as there so fragile i presume most of the skirts will get damaged in the process ? When i did lube my pellets with napier it was just 2 drops per tin and that was plenty.

I don't have a S410, but I do have a S310, which has the same barrel and virtually the same internals. I have shot AA5.52 Fields and Daystate 5.52, but I have found, whether or not its just me, that the Webley lazerdomes, which are JSB Exacts re badged, shot the best out of my AA310, and according to the tin they are lubed.
    I was using accupels in my .177 Titan (John Bokett PCP design) as they came with the gun when I bought it, but I have switched to the webley lazerdomes 4.52, as they seem to give tighter groups. I have yet to really do some in depth tests on my .22 Pro Elite, but I would be surprised if the results were any different then my S310 with the Lazerdomes, as it has a Lowther Walther barrel as well, but we will see.

jim
    Last edited by boltaction; 06-10-2004 at 12:45 PM.
    ex blue job

There not lubed most of them are'nt even round these days The last few tins of .22, 5.51 and 5.52 have been any shape but round.

Kev
    You laugh at me because I'm strange I laugh at you because your stupid!
    A Turkey is for Christmas not for life.

The qestion of lube or not to lube is one down to the individual barrel irrespective of wether it it a walther or an anschutz or.....whatever.

Two barrels made consecutively may respond better to one make or pellet size than its brother.

Generally, good pellets will give you a greater chance of getting a good result. When you find a pellet that groups well in the rifle, then try a lube of your own and see if the group tightens or not.

Using a combro chrono will also allow you to jot down changes in velocity and ft lbs energy so again you can see if the lube helps or hinders.

The basic principle is that each barrel is an individual and its the fine tuning that makes the difference. You just got to be able to shoot well enough to be able to spot the improvement or deterioration.

Bench resting will help reduce the human factor and you should clean the barrel, put 40 shots through then shoot unlubed pellets on a fresh charge of air (if using a PCP.

Then repeat the barrel clean, shoot 40 lubed to stabalise the barrel, then shoot a batch of lubed on a fresh fill.

You can also try different sizes of the same pellet e.g 4.51's v's 4.52's.

Just a bit boring doing it but worth it in the end.

Steyr
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill