Thread: Poor Quality Rifles

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Poor Quality Rifles

Does anyone collect rifles that are only of the poorest quality?

A seemingly strange idea, but if you look through Gun Tests in old Airgun Worlds there are a huge number of obviously dire sold-for-profit-to-the-innocent guns which have never been heard of again. Consequently they are rare as Hen's Teeth.

For example, the Brema 35, which was an Italian 'copy' of the Original Diana 35, except it only copied what it looked like, inside it as a nasty piece of crudity.

And in this 1986 copy of Airgun World I see the very nasty 'Marathon 100', a plinker made out of old Army cots. Has ANYONE ever seen one?

Or what about the DUO 300, a cheap recoilling spring-powered version of the expensive FAS 604 pistol?

Making a collection of these rare duffers must be the most difficult task of all.

Smile

I don't think anyone would want to really

I actually threw an air pistol in the bin once because it was just sooooo cr*p..

it was (i think) a manuarm or something similar, the one with a trigger guard that went over the whole of the hand...
    the piston was a manky die-casting (zinc alloy or rather more aptly named, monkey metal )
    it was the most awful airgun that i'd ever seen

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I don't think anyone would want to really

I actually threw an air pistol in the bin once because it was just sooooo cr*p..

it was (i think) a manuarm or something similar, the one with a trigger guard that went over the whole of the hand...
    the piston was a manky die-casting (zinc alloy or rather more aptly named, monkey metal )
    it was the most awful airgun that i'd ever seen

John
    Ah, yes the wonderful French Manuarm! I had a similar die-cast 'crapistol' called a 'Zip' made by ... some Italian company, suffered the same fate - in the bin with it. Appalling, appalling!

This is my point - they must be very rare as most got binned. So a collection would be quite a challenge.

There are thousands of Airsporters out there because while they are not brilliant, they did the job and are built like Churchill tanks. Collecting Airsporters is easy, all you have to do is have £100 spare each month and you will be done in a couple of years. Collecting things which are almost all now in landfill is a different question...
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 21-12-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Red face

It was actually one of these useless items...

John

It was actually one of these useless items...

John
    Hey, that's an EMGE - quite a nice German make! Perhaps your hands were too big for it ...

Hmmm

it said Record LP77 when i found the pic...

the one i had was deffo monkey metal, unless it was a cheap copy of the one you mentioned

John

Hmmm

it said Record LP77 when i found the pic...

the one i had was deffo monkey metal, unless it was a cheap copy of the one you mentioned

John
    Sorry you are right, it is a Record. Plinker/cheap target pistol.

Manuarms and IGI RO72 pistols were worse though!

Yours was a tarted-up version of an old design, but you can't polish a toad as they say ...

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I remember the Zip, actually i thought it was quite a nice design though built of monkey metal!

The Predom Lucznik a copy of the Walther pistol springs to my mind. And wasn't there Chinese copies of the FWB 300 and mod. 65 pistol?

Season greetings.
    Ian p
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    Just makes me wonder if i should start collecting cheap b2's and such. £30 each, 3 a month for a couple of years, keep them in greased paper and leave them for 30yrs. wonder what they'd be worth????

yeah, you're right, still be worth £30 even with inflation wonder if they'd even last that long????

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The Predom Lucznik a copy of the Walther pistol springs to my mind. And wasn't there Chinese copies of the FWB 300 and mod. 65 pistol?

Season greetings.
    Ian p
    I think the Predom is regarded as being not half bad, and was much cheaper than the Walt. There are the Chinesian FWB copies, I even looked into buying one ...
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 21-12-2009 at 06:01 PM.

I was thinking about the AK47 sidelever Chinese jobby that was sold as the
    " Ratter " a few years ago in the comics .

These only very rarely come up for sale , even though you would imagine tons were sold , I for one want one !!

They are as crude as you can get but still look unlike most airguns around these days .

Carl.
    " This , is MY safety "

Quote Originally Posted by PHOBUS View Post

These only very rarely come up for sale , even though you would imagine tons were sold , I for one want one !!

They are as crude as you can get but still look unlike most airguns around these days .

Carl.
    That's the sort of thing Carl. Although I think you can still purchase them in America.

Quote Originally Posted by PHOBUS View Post

Carl.
    So bad that if you fired a few shots from one position you actualy left a little pile of metal shavings on the floor!

And wasn't there Chinese copies of the FWB 300 and mod. 65 pistol?
    Interesting read on the Chinese copies of the FWB 65.

http://www.ihmsa.org/tom/techarticles/Axelrod%20Air.htm