Thread: Pre-WW2 rifle boxes

Pre-WW2 rifle boxes

Recently I was commenting on here about never having seen more than a handful of early factory air rifle boxes, either the cardboard or presentation ones that the Webley Mk2 Services came in or the heavy wooden BSA underlever cases. There was also the plain (original?) Webley Mk1 cardboard box posted by Ollie (ogilkes) last month.

The other day a fellow collector kindly let me take some pics of his rare Midland Gun Co. box:

Midland Demon box 1
    Midland Demon box 2
    Midland Demon box 3

Does anyone else have pics of pre-WW2 rifle boxes to show?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    That certainly is a diabolical fiend charging out of the fires of Hell on that box. Or is it the fires of the steel foundry used in the making of the gun? And is the rifle invested with the spirit of the demon, or is one to fight against demons, personal and otherwise, with the rifle?

Whatever, it is far more exciting packaging than plain brown boxes printed with 'This Gun Could Be Dangerous If Used By An Idiot' or 'Made In Webley-on-the-Agean' on them. Always thought BSA did packaging really well, nice polystyrene boxes with oil, pellets, target holder and instructions. Perhaps the BSA Buccaneer was the best of the BSAs ... a fairly decent rifle in a very nice package. Top Xmas present for the 14 year old in 1979 I expect...

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Seems likely that my Mk1 box is not as original as it looked! Will post more on this later.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Recently I was commenting on here about never having seen more than a handful of early factory air rifle boxes, either the cardboard or presentation ones that the Webley Mk2 Services came in or the heavy wooden BSA underlever cases. There was also the plain (original?) Webley Mk1 cardboard box posted by Ollie (ogilkes) last month.

The other day a fellow collector kindly let me take some pics of his rare Midland Gun Co. box:

Midland Demon box 1
    Midland Demon box 2
    Midland Demon box 3

Does anyone else have pics of pre-WW2 rifle boxes to show?

WOW!.that's brilliant Garvin.......many thanks

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    As Ed said!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    As Ed said!
    ... and as Ed and Paddy said.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... and as Ed and Paddy said.
    Wot Him said too