Thread: Classic BSA Underlevers

Classic BSA Underlevers

Hi

Info required from BBS experts.
    I am trying to establish the approx year of manufacture of the following:
    BSA .177" Improved Model D Serial No. 37602. This rifle has the bayonet type underlever and has a straight, shotgun type stock. O/All length of rifle is 43".
    Linclon Jeffries .177" Serial No. 890. This rifle has a pistol grip stock and a press button underlever release and is 44" O/All length. On the side of the stock is: Registered Linclon Jeffries. Inventor & Patentee. 121 Steelhouse Lane . Birmingham.
    Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

edbear2 Guest
    HI,

Imp D........made.....Jan/April 1911.......

Lincoln.......made.....mid 1905......It's an early (first batch BSA made) one!

Any chance of some photos please.......never tire of seeing these!

P.S........reason for the quick answer was .I was reading my BSA book!!!

P.P.S..Just realised...the press button release on the lincoln is not original.......does it say "H" the Lincoln" on top of the air cylinder?.It may well be a post WW1 BSA, but sold by Lincoln Jeffries, (he stamped his retail guns on the stock...I have a 1920's BSA with this stamp)....(the serial numbers started again in 1919).......is the checkering hand cut or pressed, and is the trigger guard cast or sheet-metal?.also is the pistolgrip rounded at the bottom?
    Last edited by edbear2; 21-12-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Classic BSA Underlevers

The Lincoln Jeffries belongs to a friend so I will give it a detailed examination tomorrow and report back. It has spent the last many years in a gun cabinet so is less than pristine, it is however complete apart from one horrible screw on the loading tap.

Ian

lincoln

Hi Ian,

as eddy says the early lincoln jefferies normally have a bayonet style underleaver here are some photos of my 2nd batch version.
    http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSC_1372.jpg

If you go by the serial number of you friends I would have thought it has had a replacement underleaver. This might be because the early ones had a tendency for the end part to bend and sometimes snap off! So it may have even been sent back and replaced by BSA???

Caddy.

Lincoln or probably not Lincoln

Hi

I now have the gun in front of me, so here are the key points:
    The gun has a bayonet type underlever.
    I cant see any marks on top of the cylinder but the surface finish is poor.
    The trigger guard is cast.
    I think the chequering is pressed but not too sure.
    The pistol grip is flat at the bottom.
    There is, and this may be the clincher, a tiny pylarm stamp with BSA underneath it in front of the loading tap and behind the rearsight. In summation it looks identical to the photo.
    Thanks for the previous info and I look forward to more pearls of wisdom. Photo's to follow over Chrismas period.

Have found marks on top of air chamber using a strong magniying glass but need to do more work to decipher!
    Last edited by POLO; 23-12-2009 at 03:27 PM.