Thread: A.S.I sniper

A.S.I sniper

anyone got an A.S.I sniper?

this was the first air rifle i owned,when i was about 12.it was .22 calibre, and i loved it.
    i sold it to buy my next rifle, a mercury, which i still have.

i have fond memories of my sniper.from what i remember , it was a fairly well made and sturdy little rifle (well, i never managed to break it ).
    i think it cost £22, and that was in 1976/77.
    i sold it to a schoolmate to fund the mercury..ive tried to find him on friends reunited and facebook, to see if he's still got it, but i havent found him yet.
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Ive got a El Gamo Expomatic in .177 which is the equivalent of the A.S.I. Sniper repeater. Neat little rifle that can fire flat headed pellets as quick as you can cock the rifle.

Seasons greeting
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ive got a El Gamo Expomatic in .177 which is the equivalent of the A.S.I. Sniper repeater. Neat little rifle that can fire flat headed pellets as quick as you can cock the rifle.

Seasons greeting
    Ian
    thanks for that Ian.. from what i remember,the sniper was quite similar to yours.perhaps a bit slimmer though ?

i remember the sniper repeater.it had a tube on top of it where you put the pellets in..i didnt go for the repeater,because of reports that it was unreliable,and the pellets kept jamming.

A great little gun I got one for my 10th birthday in 75, I must have put 1000's
    of round's through it,shot it till the spring snapped.
    Then got the Airgunaid tuning kit for it and made it into what I thought was
    the most powerfull air rifle in the UK,well I was only 14 at the time,any way a
    lot of fond memories with that gun.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by airgundog View Post
    thanks for that Ian.. from what i remember,the sniper was quite similar to yours.perhaps a bit slimmer though ?

i remember the sniper repeater.it had a tube on top of it where you put the pellets in..i didnt go for the repeater,because of reports that it was unreliable,and the pellets kept jamming.
    The Expomatic is the repeating version of the model 200 which was called 'Sniper'by the U. K importers A.S.I. I suppose its like waist lines - with age they get wider.

Ive found the best pellets to put through it, strangely enough, are flat headed ones. Something like a RWS Hobby which, while no improvement in the accuracy, they very rarely jamb.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

pm sent
    SUPPORT THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN OR LIVE IN THE COUNTRY YOU SUPPORT......SIMPLES

Zatnikatel is offline He's coming in. I feel safer already
    I had a Sniper when I was around 12 twelve I think. It was the first 'proper' rifle I had and was very powerful compared to the things I had previously shot. Mine was also .22, second (or third) hand and in pretty good condition - this would have been in the mid to late eighties. It met its fate at the hands of my cousin, who decided he could replace the mainspring for me with the minimum of hassle. The gun came back to me a week later with a slightly bent barrel and a broken stock

To this day I still don't know how the cack-handed muppet managed to do such a number on it

atb, Glyn

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatnikatel View Post

To this day I still don't know how the cack-handed muppet managed to do such a number on it

atb, Glyn
    I think he might have cocked it and fired it with the barrel in the 'down' position. Or possibly have not put the stock bolts in properly and done the same thing.

Quite nice little rifles, made for a very long time.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by airgundog View Post
    anyone got an A.S.I sniper?

Yep..... .177

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Asi

Hello
    if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the .177.
    I have an AS NEW .22 and cant find any interest at £60.00

M

I've got quite an old example of an ASI Sniper with an all metal foresight.

Picked it up for £25.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin5oaks View Post
    Hello
    if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the .177.
    I have an AS NEW .22 and cant find any interest at £60.00

M
    perhaps its a psychological thing..my sniper cost £22 new,so when i see your sniper up for sale at £85 i think "bloody ell thats expensive".i dont think i'd pay any more than £40 for a sniper in good condition.i know one will come along at the right price one day.
    i dont think snipers are a very popular rifle either,so maybe not so many people know what they are..just my thoughts,and i may be totally wrong.

i've noticed you have 2 for sale posts up, and neither one is for £60..one is £85,and the other is £75..both plus postage
    Last edited by jeff0100; 22-12-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Ive been reading this with interest-I have a few Gamo rifles that I will never part with-and the ones I have sold I now regret...just hope there isnt an upsurge in Gamo collecting as I think that they are cheap and of (cough) decent enough quality. I still have my old statical that looks good if a little under power now.
    As for the sniper its coolest feature was the post in the scope...used to think that I was a WW2 sniper!