Thread: Dating an Airsporter.

Dating an Airsporter.

Hi Chaps,
    I have finally found the number on the airsporter that is now mine! It is GL41248. If anyone could tell me what date this rifle is I would be very grateful. Also I may keep it as it is clean and seems powerful enough to hunt with-is there anything particularily good or bad that I should be aware of-the best sort of scope?
    Thanks in advance-when the snow goes I'm off out to play with it.

Dating an Airsporter

I thought this was a fettish post

You got me! Actually its better looking than most of the women in Cumbria! If it could cook chips I would marry it.

Hi, GL says its a Mk V1 .22 issue number 5 from April 1976.

As for a suitable scope I just bought a 60's Bushnel 4x32 in shiny black for mine from that auction site place cost me £21 and looks just perfect, very accurate too.. Dave..

Thanks for that-1976 is earlier than I thought! Apparantly there is an Ox spring fitted but it doesnt seem to be too powerful? Thanks for the year-I have an old 4X40 that seems to be from the late 70s or early 80s so I will slap that on! How powerful should it be 10 foot pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    You got me! Actually its better looking than most of the women in Cumbria! If it could cook chips I would marry it.
    I will second this Statement

Graham (resident of Newby Bridge in the Eighties)
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Airsporter

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Thanks for that-1976 is earlier than I thought! Apparantly there is an Ox spring fitted but it doesnt seem to be too powerful? Thanks for the year-I have an old 4X40 that seems to be from the late 70s or early 80s so I will slap that on! How powerful should it be 10 foot pounds?
    Most .22 Airsporters seem to perform around the 10 ft lb mark, which is about 550 ft/sec with 14-15 grain pellets. I have had 1 or 2 earlier versions (mk1&2's) that were around 600 ft/sec.
    I must admit I am not a lover of square section springs but if the gun is pretty easy to cock and is nice to shoot and pretty accurate, then probably the spring has been shortened and is probably as good as it will get
    The Airsporter is a bit pellet fussy like a lot of loading tap rifles, Marksmen 5.6mm pellets are ok (there will be a few bad ones in the box)and for short range work the Bisley Practise wadcutter does quite well
    The best pellets in the Airsporter used to be Eley Wasp but unfortunately they are no longer made
    The current 5.6mm Wasp pellet (in blue tin)is a poor substitute.
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Angry

Thanks for the pellet info, I thought that it would have been more powerful
    ...Newby Bridge was impassible last week! No mistake in leaving Graham!

I still miss it though mate-I lived at Townhead-next to fell foot park. Miles of lake frontage, hundreds of acres of woodland to shoot over and most of Gummer's How Fell

All lies matter

Your right, its a beautiful spot that has to be one of the most amazing places in this country, I am in Ulverston and there is enough wildlife to keep you occupied all day within a five minute walk-no shooting permission though!

There are plenty of farms around you-try approaching a few

All lies matter