Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 10 metre rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mustntgrumble View Post
    Sorry you misread, i would prefer NOT to have a break barrel
    Ooops, yes I did, sorry!

The Walther LGR Match is a fine rifle, the seals are easy to get hold of, Walther still make them. The biggest problem would be the cost of replacing the piston if the seal gave up. Piston seals are bonded to the piston & I believe not available as separate units from Walther, although I believe someone in Australia does make a seal to fit. I have one in for a new piston now.

FWB have not made spares for the 300s for at least a couple of years. Spares are by no means scarce though, these guns are a bit more complicated than the LGR.

The 75 seems to have been covered quite well by others. Spares are available, although a bit pricey in the UK. More complicated than the FWB 300s to work on but by no means rocket science, I have one requiring a new front piston, £77 & a bit trade plus VAT when I enquired, Ouch!

The FWB 600 is a fine rifle, it does have one one weak point never really corrected until the 601 appeared. That is the cocking linkage is prone to break & is expensive to replace with the modified unit which itself is not foolproof. Spares tend to be a bit expensive. Don't get me wrong, I have a 600 bought from new in the eighties & it's been bullet proof.

Hammerli 450, if fitted with the modified action by Hammerli, is in my opinion the best of the lot & most reliable. the action is composite, the cocking is by "over lever" & it's pneumatic for those not familiar. The down side is the stock's a bit "plankish" (mine is fitted with an Alcraft made to measure custom stock) although seals can easily be sourced other parts cannot, Walther, who took Hammerli over, do not have any 450 spares at all.

Accuracy, that's a moot point, they are all accurate with the right pellet.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Target Rifle

I can only endorse the Original 75 as a superb rifle. DM80 on here is an absolute expert on these ( I speak from experience of his work on 65, 66, 75, 6M, 10, etc.) and he is not dear either. Two years ago I did a bipod/rested trial of my 75 at 20m using a 9x `scope; result- 10 shots making a 6mm dia ragged hole with R10 4.50x7.7grn flat heads. Not too bad I thought for a rifle made in 1980. John
    Laudator temporis acti

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Must'nt
    I've seen your PM and have replied, didn't realise you were local, have now looked it up, deepest Suffolk, but not far away.
    Everything every one on here has said is correct, and I have to apolagise for getting drawn into the ether of memories of driving an Oringinal 75, its predecesors, and its shooter all over Britain and Europe and missed giving the best bit of advice which you have asked in your PM.
    Don't buy anything yet!!! Join a club, use club guns, get coaching, try every gun you can first.
    We have a very active 10 mt club in Norwich, all levels, all ages. if you are interested contact me on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com
    best regards
    Robin

FWB300 or Diana 75. 75 is harder to work on.
    I personally dont like ssp's because of the way they cock.
    When kneeling/prono not very easy to cock. Sidelevers far easier.
    Bút ssp's dó shoot fár more recoilless though than the sidelevers.
    Cheaper even than 300/75: Anschutz 250.(200 euro's) But make sure to get a GOOD 1!! Serviced..They're VERY sensitive to damage. They're not 100% recoilless, they're recoil damped. But it feels nice, good practise for .22LR as well.
    ATB,
    yana

One rifle not mentioned within your price range & worth a look if you can find one, is the Original/Diana 100 ssp.

The cocking method, although a side lever, is a bit "fiddly" but can be overcome by a simple mod.

A close friend of mine who was NSRA 10m British Champion in 2000 came out of retirement a couple of years back. He now uses a Mod 100 for bell target.
    Shooting 3 leagues this season (22 match's) so far he has not dropped a point. He has also shot a couple of 10mtr opens & achieved scores of 570 & over ex 600 without any serious training, & all with a rifle that's never had a "spanner" on it & is over 20yrs old......Not too shabby eh!

As said by Robin, Try them all first, make your mind up, then it's down to the "Nut on the butt" ENJOY!
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    FWB300 or Diana 75. 75 is harder to work on.
    I personally dont like ssp's because of the way they cock.
    When kneeling/prono not very easy to cock. Sidelevers far easier.
    Bút ssp's dó shoot fár more recoilless though than the sidelevers.
    Cheaper even than 300/75: Anschutz 250.(200 euro's) But make sure to get a GOOD 1!! Serviced..They're VERY sensitive to damage. They're not 100% recoilless, they're recoil damped. But it feels nice, good practise for .22LR as well.
    I have to say that most of the SSP 10m rifles that I have seen have all been side leavers. Being penumatic rather than spring powered they are also all effectivly recoiless.

Alan

Another local guy to me BigAl, where and what o you shoot?ATB

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I have to say that most of the SSP 10m rifles that I have seen have all been side leavers. Being penumatic rather than spring powered they are also all effectivly recoiless.

Alan
    I think he means that they cock when pushed forward rather than being pulled back...