Thread: Left eye dominance Problems

Question Left eye dominance Problems

Is there any prone 25 yard/ 50m .22 shooters out there who have experience of using the Gehmann crossover prism or the offset sight mounts?

I am right handed but left eye and I can cope ok with other types of shooting using rifle scope and a blinder but prone is still a problem.
    EV2 ~ HW30S ~ ST22 .22LR ~ Marlin 39 .22lR ~ CZ452 LH .22LR ~ GSG1911 LBP .22LR ~ Walther KKK Match ~ Anschutz 1813~SAM60 .22LR Free Pistol~Walther LPM1~Steyr LP10~Walther PPQ-M2 LBP~HW97K

I would definatly recommend using a blinder with your target rifle, espescially as I works for you with a scoped rifle. If you cannot use the blinder then the next thing that I would recomend is to learn to shoot it left handed! That is far more likely to get you the results that you would want. Use the periscope/ offfset sights as a last resort. This is from the experiance of one of my coaches. He lost the sight in his right eye, so used all the gadgets to shoot right handed using the left eye. None of them really worked very well. Then he learned to shoot left handed, and withing a month was shooting as well from the left shoulder as he had from the right. He eventually regained the sight in his right eye and in the end found he could shoot as well from either shoulder.

HTH

Alan

I support everything BigAl says, the only difference in my advice would be to give left handed shooting a try even if the blinder works. You may find it is the better option.

If neither of the above provides a solution the its almost down to your own preference for the prism or offset sights. The prism is a bit more robust but the offset sight blocks provide more adjustment. If I had to choose I would probably go for the offset blocks first.

Hope this helps

Rutty

The offset blocks have the disadvantage of adding weight to one side, tilting the balance of the rifle toward you. The Gehmann prism doesn't do this.

Whilst the sight blocks do offer adjustment, its more bothersome than the prism, you have to do front and rear of course.

That said, a shooter I know made a set of off-set blocks from 2 sets of 8mm blocks and some fancy welding which works very well indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    I support everything BigAl says, the only difference in my advice would be to give left handed shooting a try even if the blinder works. You may find it is the better option.

If neither of the above provides a solution the its almost down to your own preference for the prism or offset sights. The prism is a bit more robust but the offset sight blocks provide more adjustment. If I had to choose I would probably go for the offset blocks first.

Hope this helps

Rutty
    Hmm... being left eye dominant I know there is a balance between how much your handicap of dominance affects you over the handicap of handidness. For me it simply didn't work swapping hands.

Using a blind helps enormously. Setting up the sights so the head is relaxed helps as well. Cant becomes critical with offset sights. (but perhaps you can use a sight level in your discipline? Can't in 10m)

I only know one shooter who swapped hands, and he displayed a more even handidness than most anyway to start with. I can't even brush my teeth left handed.

Thumbs up

Many thanks for the advice about the prism and off-set blocks.
    I will have try shooting left-handed, I have not tried that yet.
    One of my club members has a L/H 1813 and he is not shooting at present and I will ask to try his rifle out.
    EV2 ~ HW30S ~ ST22 .22LR ~ Marlin 39 .22lR ~ CZ452 LH .22LR ~ GSG1911 LBP .22LR ~ Walther KKK Match ~ Anschutz 1813~SAM60 .22LR Free Pistol~Walther LPM1~Steyr LP10~Walther PPQ-M2 LBP~HW97K

i am right handed but with a dominent left eye, i took to shooting left handed and i get on very well with it! i had to buy a left handed stock for my s400 but its worth it to be able to shoot comfortably, give it a try, its alot easyer than you might think.

jim.

I am originally left handed but went to school when it was considered to be unlucky. I was forced to work right handed but I am left eye dominant. I shoot right handed but both eyes open
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    I am originally left handed but went to school when it was considered to be unlucky. I was forced to work right handed but I am left eye dominant. I shoot right handed but both eyes open
    Me too! I`m left eye dominant,shoot rifle LH, but shoot pistol RH.write RH but crap you could get a prescription on my writing,throw LH,and can use hand tools L or RH. PS I can remember my english teacher rapping my hands with a ruler to make me write RH,

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Me too! I`m left eye dominant,shoot rifle LH, but shoot pistol RH.write RH but crap you could get a prescription on my writing,throw LH,and can use hand tools L or RH. PS I can remember my english teacher rapping my hands with a ruler to make me write RH,
    I got my left hand tied behind my back. Those where the days
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Me too!!

Following a squint in my left eye early on in life,over correction left me with incredibly lazy(almost useless,although i dont like to admit it) right eye, i, like a couple of the other guys on here am as right handed as they come but have taught myself to shoot left handed and after a lot of persistance am seeing results, all i'd say is give it a go, if it doesn't work out then you've lost nowt and its amazing what the body can learn to overcome.
    Best of luck with it,
    Pete.