Thread: Webley Tempest. Rough one, needs sorting

Webley Tempest. Rough one, needs sorting

Hi.

I've been given a Webley Tempest to sort out, because I do some shooting I must know how sort them out

The Tempest is in a Rough state to say the least. The markings have been scratched off? The Breech Seal is missing, the barrel locking catch is bent worn & it won't lock the barrel down. The rear sight screws are chewed, the rear barrel is bent / worn. There was a pellet stuck half way down the barrel, which I've managed to get out. There was something rattling in the grip, which was a part of the plastic grip. There is rust in various places.

I've cocked & fired it with a 'new' pellet & the pellet didn't even move down the barrel, which I have now removed.

So apart from throwing it in the bin, what can be done with it. Is it worth saving??

Pictures >>HERE<<

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

rough tempest

pm sent!

sounds/looks too bad to be saved.

as long as the compression cylinder is ok then it should be ok but if its buggered then spares only i'm afraid.

some people dont thumb the barrel latch to open when they return the barrel back to the closed position hence the wear on yours.

i hope you do get it up and running again,great little pistol for plinking.
    Last edited by ikarma70; 26-12-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks for your replies & all PM's replied to.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I.ll have it if you are going to throw it in the bin!----Seriously, its not really worth spending much on but you shuld be able to sort it. You should be able to straighten the barrel near enough. For some reason, the barrel catches on these are often bent but I sorted one out that was worse than yours. The metal is quite soft and you can clean up the rough bits with a file. The screw on the rear sight is not really a problem ( not sure if these are a ba size). The grips often break but can be araldited etc on the inside unless they are really bad. A breach seal will be about £3-50 and obviously that is part of the reason a pellet was stuck in the barrel. A new mainspring could be fairly costly for the size of pistol (not checked Chambers yet). I reckon it,s one of those guns that if you accept it is never going to be worth much or be in brilliant condition, that it is worth spending a bit of time and a little money on to get a good fun plinker.
    I've already checked chambers & the breech seal is £5.75 . Before I spend my time straightening the barrel & barrel catch, I'll inform the owner, as I should of been more clear that it isn't mine 'yet'

I've already told him that it isn't worth anything really in the condition it's in & not viable to restore it to it's former glory.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    I've already told him that it isn't worth anything really in the condition it's in & not viable to restore it to it's former glory.
    Regards
    Paddy.
    Doing it DIY, it's worth working on, but going to a gunsmith would cost more than it would sell for.

Bit of a pig to work on, in comparison to a MK1 or Senior, but worth having a bash at.

Hi all

I managed to get a breech seal at Kibworth Shooting Ground.

It isn't an original on but it fitted & it was free

However the barrel still doesn't lock down properly, due to the barrel not going under the locking catch.

Inside the barrel it is very badly 'burred' (if that is the right word) Just wear the pellet was stuck in the first place.

I've used a pull through with cloth & wire brush. I've pushed a fair bit of loose lead out but it is still really bad.

So what now? I have not yet checked the availability of new barrels yet.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Thre is someone on here selling a coupe of Tempest barrels. Search 'Tempest' and you will find them.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If the barrel won't go under the stirrup catch, it's probably cos' the barrel has slammed down on it at some point and bent it, I would put a straight edge on the barrel and you'll probably find this is bent too (esp. if its a .22) and maybe even gouged the alloy 'ears' that the barrel sits between...

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Thre is someone on here selling a coupe of Tempest barrels. Search 'Tempest' and you will find them.
    Hi I found the thread & told the neihbour how much the barrels are.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    If the barrel won't go under the stirrup catch, it's probably cos' the barrel has slammed down on it at some point and bent it, I would put a straight edge on the barrel and you'll probably find this is bent too (esp. if its a .22) and maybe even gouged the alloy 'ears' that the barrel sits between...

It looks that the barrel has been 'slammed' down a hell of alot of times. As the end of the >>barrel is worn at an angle<< & the >>locking catch is deformed<<

If I do manage to get this pistol fixed, I don't reckon it will be treated with respect once handed back

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Arrow re tempest

throw it in my bin.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    It looks that the barrel has been 'slammed' down a hell of alot of times. As the end of the >>barrel is worn at an angle<< & the >>locking catch is deformed<<
    The end of the barrel is cut at an angle as standard
    and the stirrup catch has been clouted on the top face all right, but the bottom face still looks straight, so I would be surprised if this wasn't fine as it is.
    As before, I suspect all your problems are down to a bent barrel.....

Edit....Just seen picture 1 in your album and barrel does look bent as a nine-bob note.
    New fore ends are available from Protek for £16.00.
    The barrel could be straghtened fairly easily, but if there's burr's in the rifling, then its scrap.
    Other than that, it could be reclaimed fairly cheaply and it's a late wide trigger model too.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 12-01-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added postscript