Sparton
Yes, you and the other guy are correct, the cylinders are not covered by UK regs. The Germans regs did not cover them either, and as far as I'm aware still don't, it was down to manufacturers standards and product liability. When these cases occured the German manufactureres all got together and set a cylinder life and testing requirement, as far as I'm aware they have not published their testiing standard, but in the event of a failure of a cylinder within its 10 year life they would be called upon to satisfy the authorities that those standards were satisfactory and that the cylinders had met them to meet their obligation under product liability which is law.
I repeat again, the German manufacturers directive I do not believe is enforciable in UK law (unless it is made a EU safety directive and I have no knowledge of any moves in that direction). In fact one Italian manufacturer had given their cylinders a 20 year life so it cant be set in stone, whether they have supply problems to Germany I don't know. I am unaware if any UK gun manufacturers have a cylinder life or if cyinders from their products are date marked, if they are its up to them to demonstate its adequacy.
The original question was, does the German directive apply here, the answer is directly no, but UK safety legislation where no regulation applies uses "best practice" and the German directive could be interpreted as such. It is irrelavent as long as every thing works fine, no one can say that a cylinder is illegal because its over ten years old but if one goes pop resulting in an injury it could be up to an idividual or a business in a civil or HSE case as a defence to demonstate that they had followed all practical requirements and in the absence of regulation that may be best practice.
The problem is, the Germans are a big and influential market, and by them taking this step there is a danger that others may be forced into the same action.
This came out of Germany, they make the majority of target air guns, the ISSF have a safety rule that states that guns must comply with the manufactures safety requirements so any German gun (most) used in ISSF events must comply with the ten year rule.
Cylinders are not blowing like party ballons, as long as they don't this should stay at that level, as I said let the sleeping dog lay.
Best regards
Robin