i think im right in saying cylinders under 500cc do not require testing, regarding the safety of older cylinders, i dont think any british manufactuer offer a pressure testing facility, i dont see how they could offer such a test, what would you test them to? unlike diving cylinders that have a reccomended working pressure and a test pressure stamped on the cylinder, air rifles do not, so what would you test them to??,

its ok for manufactures to say the RWP of a rifle is 200bar, so in theory you should be able to test the cylinder to approx 340bar with no problems, i doubt some rifles would pass that test, so what are the safety margins they build into the rifles, it would be interesting to ask them,

it seems to me manufactures seem obsessed with lightness and shot capacity, and dont give much thought to the cylinder construction, everything is done to a minimum, eg minimum amounts of threads on the valves, minimum wall thickness on the tube, if you look at the specs reccomended by the tube manufactures, some of the guns are on the limit, personaly i would rarther have a gun which weighed a pound more but had a robust cylinder

the best way i would think to test a cylinder would be how they do it at BOC ect, first visual test, inspect for internal rust and external pitting, lets face it, if there is no pitting or rust there should be no problem, my freind works in the test dept at BOC and tells me the have bottles over 50 years old still in service, steels ones though, the next test would be done with ultrasonics to look for internal flaws, the good thing about that is i does not over stress anything, but finding someone who offers that service is the problem