Thread: Air rifle cylinder laws?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air rifle cylinder laws?

Found this on Weihrauch's website:

According to regulations, you must not use the air cylinder longer than 10 years. After 10 years from the manufacturing date the air cylinder must not be used any further, must be emptied (see ”Emptying The Air Cylinder“ p. 19) and sent back to the manufacturer for checking against extra charge. Please note the date of your rifle’s manufacture, or check the date inscribed on the rifle’s air cylinder. (see ”Inscription of the compressed air cylinder“, p. 26). Relevant laws of your country should be followed as well.

Link here. http://weihrauch-sport.de/englisch/e...te/e_index.htm

I haven't seen any such regulations in the UK, so guess this applies to Germany, but are there any such laws here?
    Last edited by JollyJohn; 29-12-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    HW95k cal .177, Simmons WTC 1.5-5 x 20. CZ 452 American .22LR, MTC Mamba 3-12 x 44IR.

im new to this and only just had my rifle,i dont have a cylinder at the moment only the charged gun but i will be asking a freind who's a diver to see what he thinks.
    theoben mk1 rapid 1.77,LOGUN SOLO 177 10 SHOT MAG ,BSA Lightning 1.77
    WEBLEY VENOM VIPER 22 2SHOT, airarms 410 carbine,1.77

Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    im new to this and only just had my rifle,i dont have a cylinder at the moment only the charged gun but i will be asking a freind who's a diver to see what he thinks.
    This refers to the rifle's cylinder, not the diving bottle.

It mentions the dreaded words "European directive" So it could be coming to Blighty.
    HW95k cal .177, Simmons WTC 1.5-5 x 20. CZ 452 American .22LR, MTC Mamba 3-12 x 44IR.

If you send your rifle back to the manufacturer for service the will check the integrity of the cylinder. At least Hull Cartridge an Daystate do. Probably AA and Theoben aswell.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    i think he might mean the cylinder on the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    i think he might mean the cylinder on the rifle.
    i said i was new to this,lol
    theoben mk1 rapid 1.77,LOGUN SOLO 177 10 SHOT MAG ,BSA Lightning 1.77
    WEBLEY VENOM VIPER 22 2SHOT, airarms 410 carbine,1.77

On reflection, this is probably not a bad idea.
    Last edited by JollyJohn; 29-12-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: crap spelling

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    It might not be a bad idea, but it's totally un-enforcable. The vast majority of us with PCPs fill them ourselves. It's not like we all go to the dive shop or local RFD to get them filled, so there's no-one to refuse to fill them except ourselves...
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

cylinders

This came up some while ago when I belive some Anshutz cyinders (aledgedly! I state for legal reasons although it is well documented) went pop. It is on every one of the target gun manufacturers sites FWB, Walther, etc, and Anschutz also have a picture of a blown cylinder if any one thinks its a joke.
    The Anschutz cylinders were (aledgedly) defective ones and they will replace certain cylinders manufactured at certain dates free of charge, but this then set the beaurocratic Effing Safety machine going in Germany. These cylinders originally escaped legislation due to their size but with pressures of 4000 psi and being continualy pressured up and down, and with moisture also present the risk was recognised and the directive you have seen was the result. The single biggest action was the major manufacturers setting a 10 year life, this is almost certainly for their own legal protection, not our safety.
    It came to a head last year when the ISSF started to enforce it at most big events, World Cup, Europeans, etc, the Germans in particular with great enthusiasm. It is unlikely to effect any one other than serious target shooters at the higher levels, I am not sure ( this is an opinion, not fact) but I do not believe it is enforcable in UK law, I think gun cylinders are too small under our law. It has effected the resale value of older PCP target guns as the cylinders have to be inside the 10 year rule, or replaced or serviced by the manufacturers.
    BUT, in the event of an incident where no direct legislation applies, the HSE may apply the "best practice" rules and this could fall with in this area, I am a retired H&S manager for a major PLC and in the knowledge of the Anschutz incidents and the European action I would advise any manufacturer to give this some serious consideration. The European action is about ass covering and if I was a manufacturer I would do the same.
    Best regards
    Robin

spare cylinder would be vry handy

just reading what you all say about reservoir cylinders. i think its down 2 yourself . if its old and tattered do you want it blowing up in yours or even worse your lads face as shot is taken. i think not could do with some advice though. cant find a site with price of spare karbine cylinder, for those long days with dogs out. any help welcome thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by geeroffmiland View Post
    just reading what you all say about reservoir cylinders. i think its down 2 yourself . if its old and tattered do you want it blowing up in yours or even worse your lads face as shot is taken. i think not could do with some advice though. cant find a site with price of spare karbine cylinder, for those long days with dogs out. any help welcome thanks.
    what rifle is the cylinder for???

Red face air cylinders

Gents i read with great interest: It is my undertanding that air cylinders are not subject to pressure testing as they are under 1/2 litre capacity as already mentioned test pressure are at least 340 bar for a 200 bar fill
    If you have ever charged a cylinder you will know that they get hot this is what is known as parelstatic heating and over a period of time can weaken large cylinders.
    Large cyliders are subject to a 5 year test regardless of materials used for thier construction.
    Steel cylinders have no life span and are good until the test station says othewise
    Composite cylinders must be scrapped at year 15 regardless of condition
    Oh one last thing please remember you get.
    Air in cylinders
    Soldiers in tanks
    Milk in bottles
    Sorry gents!!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogs View Post
    parelstatic
    Have another shot at that one please, the word doesn't seem to exist,
    Sorry Fella!
    Nick

Answer can be found here though,

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive...p/t-39446.html

Enjoy!
    Last edited by magicniner; 01-01-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Add link