Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Review Feinwerkbau 300S 10m Target Air Rifle

New Review Feinwerkbau 300S 10m Target Air Rifle

Hi,

I added the Feinwerkbau 300S review the other day along with my Model 65 Pistol review.

So here is my take on two oldish Feinwerkbau 300S air rifles.

Find it here under Airguns :- http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/

Have Fun

Mark

The 300s is just such a cracking gun. From 10m competition to plinking in the back garden. So easy to cock and such a pleasure to shoot.

The Model 65 is a one that I hope to add to my collection some day

Great write up as always

good reveiw

Hi there.Good reveiw,really interesting and confirms pretty much everything that i find with my own fwb 300s.Superbly built and super accurate even by todays standards.I'm a member of an air rifle league down here in south wales
    we shoot bell target and the 300s holds it's own against all the newer high tech stuff,even though some of the fwb's are near 40 years old.

Nice review Mark. I'd say that the rifle you describe as having a beech stock is in fact in walnut, just plainer wood than the lovely tiger striped one on the other rifle.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Nice review Mark. I'd say that the rifle you describe as having a beech stock is in fact in walnut, just plainer wood than the lovely tiger striped one on the other rifle.
    Thanks.

Yes, I was a little confused why it looked so dark after stripping off all of the old finish with nitromors.

I just thought that most of them were made with Beech stocks?

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cones View Post
    Thanks.

Yes, I was a little confused why it looked so dark after stripping off all of the old finish with nitromors.

I just thought that most of them were made with Beech stocks?

Thanks

Mark
    No, I believe from what I've seen that most of the FWB 300 series rifles were made with walnut stocks with only a minority in beech. The 300S Junior version seems to have been made exclusively with beech stocks, although perhaps there's a some factory walnut 'specials' out there somewhere.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Couple of things to comment on - the FWB twang, bloody annoying, but easily resolved without using sticky grease.

Simply add a steel sleeve wrapped around the spring inside the piston. If you have a sheet of 10-12 thou shim steel that would be good, or cut up a steel soft drink can (Pepsi Max is in steel cans) remove the paint from it and use that.

No more twang just smooth shot delivery.

Re springs, I was quoted £50 for a set of genuine FWB springs!

Personally I rate the Maccari spring - it is a better fit on the guide and gives a little more velocity (around 650fps with 8.4gr JSB's).

On my FWB's for lubrication I use a little moly paste on the piston ring and spray moly dri-slide type lube on the spring - seems to work very well.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 06-01-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    No, I believe from what I've seen that most of the FWB 300 series rifles were made with walnut stocks with only a minority in beech.
    I assumed mine was beech, but if anyone can identify from this photo I'd be grateful.

I've had a few quality rifles over the years, TX200s, a Pro-Sport, BSA Superstar and Goldstar, but none have come close to the feel of the FWB300S. It's in a different league. Like Stuart_B, I want a FWB65/80 to complement it.

As with Garvin's comment, all of the 300S stocks I have seen so far have been walnut, but the quality varies from impressive to very average. Looking at your pic it appears to be an average bit of walnut.

The Junior models I have seen to date have all been beech stocked.

Cheers Rockdrill

Hi,

I have just updated my original review with the results of the restoration.

Shaun Hill of ISP Air Rifles did all of the polishing and reblue work. A big thanks to Shaun from me for turning them back to almost as new again.

I stripped and oiled both the stocks and rebuilt both actions with new factory springs, seals and piston buffers.

Just as a taster.

Before

http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/Airguns...8Medium%29.jpg

After

http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/Airguns...8Medium%29.jpg

See the whole set on my website

Find it here under Airguns :- http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/

Thanks

Mark
    Last edited by Cones; 06-03-2010 at 04:43 PM.

I know someone with a 300 which might be a Running Boar model as it has an adjustable cheek piece,
    No sights apart from a scope.
    It is somewhat neglected being left around in a cupboard on a farm and never cared for.
    If I where to make an offer for it what might be resonable.(How longs a piece of string)
    Some surface rusting on blueing.
    Stock is good.
    Has been used to take out rabbits
    They paid £140 for it two years ago.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

I'd say £140 would be a bargain!

The reblue cost me about £100 with the postage both ways.

The stock refinish is just your own time.

New Springs are £55 a seal kit is £25

So for £300 or so you could have an almost as new rifle.

HTH

Mark

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by manxteddy View Post
    I know someone with a 300 which might be a Running Boar model as it has an adjustable cheek piece,
    No sights apart from a scope.
    It is somewhat neglected being left around in a cupboard on a farm and never cared for.
    If I where to make an offer for it what might be resonable.(How longs a piece of string)
    Some surface rusting on blueing.
    Stock is good.
    Has been used to take out rabbits
    They paid £140 for it two years ago.
    Graham
    Its probably a 300 SU but is still well worth that, if it was a (rare) Running Boar then its worth considerably more in any condition and there is probably a gent from Falmouth getting exited at this moment! I would'nt mention RB when you make them an offer in case it is and they do some research!
    Best regards
    Robin

Is the stock a thumhole version? If it is BUY it TODAY!

Mark