Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Venom?

Webley Venom?

Hi,
    been reading through my old magazines over the holidays and found an article from 2003 describing a Webley Venom Longbow. Did any one buy one? How do they compare to the Webleys made now? Are the Turkish Webleys any good? I only ask because I have the pleasant problem of choosing a new rifle which is a rare occurance and dont want to end up with a lemon! Still considering a Gamo...any suggestions?
    Thanks.

hi

keep away from the turkish ones......

made in birmingham oozes of quality

What on earth posses you to want a Gamo?????? There are lots of better rifles s/h or the price of a new one of them!

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up

Webley Longbow British/made in Birmingham is a break barrel as good as anything made by those dastardly Bosh types,the Webley Longbow is as good as any break barrel ever made,better than most in fact and prettier than all.My example when I get it right puts in 5 pence piece sized groups at 55 yards and Iam only an average shot so what the likes of Mr Sparks,Charlts and Co etc could do with her is anyones guess. Cracking good rifles.
    Last edited by R. P. McMurphy; 28-12-2009 at 06:50 PM.

the webley longbow is a 'crackin' rifle but the turkish ones have nothing on the original brummie types.

depending on your budget and taste, the venom sidewinder compact - tuned longbow, is about as good as it'll get.

good luck in your choice

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    What on earth posses you to want a Gamo?????? There are lots of better rifles s/h or the price of a new one of them!
    Maximus- i'm afraid that i lusted after a Gamo but only when i couldn't get the british equivilant

the very next day, the BSA version that was like new became available for £250
    didn't have enough wonga to buy the beesa too, i felt like jumping under a bus, or sticking me head down the khazi and pulling the flush!!!!- goodbye cruel world

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thanks chaps,
    I was rather hoping to buy a new rifle as its a bit of an event for me-hence the Gamo! I suppose I wont be buying a Turkish Webley! The choices are narrowing already! With just over £200...maybe I will have to wait longer! What about the BSAs-they are owned by Gamo?

JohnBaz-hust checked out your Stutzen...beautiful...

I have a Sidewinder Compact - a venom longbow with a shrouded barrel. a wonderful rifle and the only one I've never sold on!!!

ora

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Thanks chaps,
    I was rather hoping to buy a new rifle as its a bit of an event for me-hence the Gamo! I suppose I wont be buying a Turkish Webley! The choices are narrowing already! With just over £200...maybe I will have to wait longer! What about the BSAs-they are owned by Gamo?
    Two hundred pounds would get you a really nice secondhand something or other. Gamo's are OK but they get very secondhand much faster than the more expensive guns. I'd rather have a third-hand Mercedes than a new Seat.

And you wouldn't have to wait til the guarentee period has elapsed so that you can clean out any grease and/or swarf, and relube properly. ALL factory-issued spring-guns need this regardless of make.

As soon as you buy a rifle and fire a few pellets through it, it becomes second-hand so its only a few moments of 'newness' to enjoy!

Got to be honest Ive never heard of it! Will try and hunt a pic down as I like the idea of a shrouded barrel! As a youngster none of my mates had anything more expensive than a supersport we all tried to save for Innovas etc but never had one!

Good point Hsing...cant argue with the logic at all I just wanted something new! Maybe will reconsider as not many people like either Gamos or Turkish Webleys!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Plenty of decent secondhand bargains have come up on here recently, although I'm not a great lover of German things you really can't go wrong with most rifles from Weihrauch, and even Tx's are turning up at pretty good prices as well.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Plenty of decent secondhand bargains have come up on here recently, although I'm not a great lover of German things you really can't go wrong with most rifles from Weihrauch, and even Tx's are turning up at pretty good prices as well.

Pete
    Agree with that but not quite as heartily since I got a Venom Stingray Compact, Venom Tomahawk and my lovely new (to me) Venom Sidewinder - all Brummies of course! The blueing on Brummy Webleys is to die for and the fit and finish second to none; sorry Heinrich!

The only disadvantage is you cannot buy a new one; if that really matters!

So, on balance, I'm with the Venom Webley brigade! I also have some lovely HWs with which I will not part!

Happy New Year to you all!

Best wishes
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    Agree with that but not quite as heartily since I got a Venom Stingray Compact, Venom Tomahawk and my lovely new (to me) Venom Sidewinder - all Brummies of course! The blueing on Brummy Webleys is to die for and the fit and finish second to none; sorry Heinrich!

The only disadvantage is you cannot buy a new one; if that really matters!

So, on balance, I'm with the Venom Webley brigade! I also have some lovely HWs with which I will not part!

Happy New Year to you all!

Best wishes
    David
    Must admit I do like the look of Brummie Webleys but just found the triggers let them down (on the Stingrays anyway), owned a few different tuned Stingrays (Venom and SFS) and the triggers never seemed to have any work done too them, lovely tuning and accurate but the triggers always seemed slack.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in