Thread: Uberti 1858 New Army - whadya think?

Uberti 1858 New Army - whadya think?

Morning gents.
    As per my last thread I am new to the BP game and am looking round for a revolver.
    I have seen in my local a .44 Uberti 1858 New Army 5.5in barrel in stainless.
    I LOVE this gun! Not only does it look beautiful but feels very nice in my hand. Not too front heavy with the 5.5 in barrel.

So, firstly is this any good? Secondly is it worth the £350 it's up for?

Also what are my essential shopping items for BP? Been given a powder flask and nipple key and am in the process of building my box.

Many thanks all

Keith
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our Police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future". Quote - Adolf Hitler, 1935.

Uberti's are a nice gun - we have a club gun in blued Non target sights that is well liked

I have had a Pietta Stainless Remmy NMA (and my father too) - both target sighted - lovely guns

I am surprised at the price you quote as you can get a new Pietta Stainless with Target sights for around £275 ??

Cheers

Roy

As Roy said, thats far too steep a price for second hand. Way less than half that for a minter second hand. Have a look about on the forums or trader site.

For £350 you can have the pistol, lead melting pot and moulds plus a supply of powder and caps and still have change for wads/filler etc

Quote Originally Posted by uk_biker99 View Post
    Morning gents.
    As per my last thread I am new to the BP game and am looking round for a revolver.
    I have seen in my local a .44 Uberti 1858 New Army 5.5in barrel in stainless.
    I LOVE this gun! Not only does it look beautiful but feels very nice in my hand. Not too front heavy with the 5.5 in barrel.

So, firstly is this any good? Secondly is it worth the £350 it's up for?
    Also what are my essential shopping items for BP? Been given a powder flask and nipple key and am in the process of building my box.

Many thanks all

Keith
    Look for a decent second hand one that is sensibly priced. I bought an as new .44 Uberti New Army stainless 5.5" last week off a chap for £100 who reckoned he'd been trying to sell it for ages. It came with some extras as well. There are some good deals out there!

Essential items. I'll start the list for you,others will no doubt add:

Safety specs. ALWAYS wear - caps often fragment on firing and a piece of hot copper in the eye is seriously bad news.

Nipple pricker.

Tool to remove fired caps from nipples when they jam in place. Something like mini needle nose pliers.

Wads, either plain or pre-lubed. I use plain.

Filler and something to measure it with. I use ground rice and a 9mm case with a handle attached as a measure.

Something to seat wads square in cylinder. I use an old plastic marker pen to seat mine.

WD40.

Cleaning rod and accessories.

BP solvent.

Light oil.

Hand wipes (baby bum wipes are good).

Wow, thanks for all of the replies guys.
    The Uberti is a brand spanking one though I'm told I can pick BP stuff up from auction sites (not been able to find one yet) pretty cheaply. The dealer it's at is known for being pretty pricey so would obviously have a shop around.

Basically I like the strap over the cylinder and I like the 5 1/2 in barrel - any other suggestions? Is stainless a much better option than blued? I imagine Otis much easier to clean.

John - thanks for the shopping list! I presume I can get a lot of that from the club shop?

Thanks again all

Keith
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our Police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future". Quote - Adolf Hitler, 1935.