Thread: Newbie average score

Newbie average score

What would be an average score out of 60 shots for a newbie at 10 metres?
    Last edited by mustntgrumble; 31-12-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Wink

59.5 on a bad day

That would depend on lots of factors (I take this to be a total shooting novice, not someone coming across from 3P or FT). Notably (in no particular order):

- The natural competence of the student
    - The ability of their instructor/coach
    - The availability of suitable jacket/trousers/boots for the shooter to use
    - The quality (or lack thereof) of the rifle
    - The quality (or lack thereof) of the pellets used
    - The availability of training aids like SCATT
    - How often they train and their mindset/how seriously they take their shooting
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

For the British Airgun championships, there is a Class D. The average score to shoot in Class D must be 524.9 or under. So thats a good target for a newbie to aim at. However, I think that the winners of class D end up scoring considerably more than that.

That aside, although it may seem counter intuitive, progress is faster if you don't concentrate on the score, and instead concentrate on group size, and taking a "perfect shot".

Steve

I was shooting 490-500 within about a month of starting. A year later I am now shooting 530-540.

U.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    That would depend on lots of factors (I take this to be a total shooting novice, not someone coming across from 3P or FT). Notably (in no particular order):

- The natural competence of the student
    - The ability of their instructor/coach
    - The availability of suitable jacket/trousers/boots for the shooter to use
    - The quality (or lack thereof) of the rifle
    - The quality (or lack thereof) of the pellets used
    - The availability of training aids like SCATT
    - How often they train and their mindset/how seriously they take their shooting
    Excuse my novice ignorance but what is SCATT

Quote Originally Posted by urban winter View Post
    I was shooting 490-500 within about a month of starting. A year later I am now shooting 530-540.

U.
    Is that with all the gear on?

Quote Originally Posted by mustntgrumble View Post
    Excuse my novice ignorance but what is SCATT
    http://www.scatt.com/

An electronic training aid.
    You clip a laser pointer on your barrel and point at an electronic target.
    The computer then logs not only the predicted fall of shot (it's usually used dry fire, although live fire systems are available), but also shows the point of aim several seconds before the trigger goes click, and the path that the barrel followed, so you can see if you're getting lots of vertical/horzontal/diagonal movement, how you approach the target, how long you hold, it measures your pulse pattern, etc, etc. It also gives various statistical analyses to do with certain aspects of your shooting.

The advantage of shooting dry, is that the recoil can mask errors in trigger squeeze and follow through. Without recoil you can accurately analyse what the shooter is doing.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

I will be using a recently purchased FWB300S

Nothing wrong with a 300S. They are still widely used in comps. The winner of one of the classes in the NSRA-Eley final last year was using one and I always see at least one in the open comps that I enter. Don't be shy about using the 300S. You may find that you shoot so well with it that you never bother to buy a PCP. Happy shooting.

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    I will be using a recently purchased FWB300S
    I've never heard anything bad said about these, so don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
    I've never heard anything bad said about these, so don't worry about it.
    Just before the start of the (winter) season, I changed from my FWB300 to a FWB700 (PCP) and find there has been an insignificant difference in my scores!

If anything, the extra weight of the 300 was a help!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Big Dunc,
    The test target of the 300 will be little if not any different to the 700, the difference in accuracy (if any) over a machine rest is more to do with the spring guns tollerance to pellet sizing and weight. A spring rifle relies on the pellet staying put until the pressure builds as the piston thunders up behind it, the pressure at which the pellet starts moving is effected by it's size and weight so a rifle such as the 300 was more sensitive to pellet quality. Modern pellets are more consitant, so in theory a 300 shoots better now than it did 30 years ago. The real advantage of the 700 is faster lock time, ie precharge air being released, against spring time, shorter barrel, faster firing bolt, all of which favors the lower standard shooter who will get way more with a shot snatched as it waves past the target, so Dunc if your scores havn't changed, that suggests that your hold and technique is reasonably good!

Best regards and a happy new shooting year
    Robin

Is that with all the gear on?
    Ah. The mistake I always make - I always assume that when people talk about 10m shooting they mean pistol, not rifle. And it's pistol that I do so "all the gear" doesn't really apply.

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy pistol shoes until I could shoot 560 without them (which probably means I will never get them!)

U.