Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HFT Positions-Standing, Kneeling, Prone etc.

HFT Positions-Standing, Kneeling, Prone etc.

Anyone out there that regularly competes in HFT comp's can you tell me the most commonly used position(s) ?

Like, I was wondering if your forced into taking alot of standing shots?
    Or, perhaps alot of the shots are kneeling, a compromise between standing and prone?

I'm just after the most frequently used shooting position in HFT, standing, kneeling or prone, out of an HFT event you've been to, or the average over more than one event you've been to.

Thanks for your replies

Take a look at the pictures taken on the day

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...name=airgunner

Regards
    Barry
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

If Sparky, Bones or Lou aren't around I usually sit, don't worry about Steve(Goldenshot) hes that small even when your sitting it looks like your standing to him.

On a more serious note, the course designers are Bast.... are very clever and place targets so you have to stand, kneel or go prone, making the course a good variation.

Steve I lov ya really
    "I'm an enormously talented man, and there's no use pretending that I'm not.."

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    You take the shot in the position that gives you the best chance of hitting the target (except sitting). The shots themselves though rely heavily on who set them out, it's not uncommon for the organiser to place a target and shooting post in such a place that, for example, a prone shot would be almost impossible.

I guess it's meant to reflect the varying situations that you might encounter whilst out hunting, but that's not something I would know about. Besides all that though, it's just a welcome challenge .
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

Quote Originally Posted by NearoZero
    I'm just after the most frequently used shooting position in HFT, standing, kneeling or prone, out of an HFT event you've been to, or the average over more than one event you've been to.

Thanks for your replies
    I've done 9 HFT's to date including the friendlies, and an average (guesstimate) would be;
    Prone = 65%
    Kneeling = 25%
    Standing = 10%
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    I've done 9 HFT's to date including the friendlies, and an average (guesstimate) would be;
    Prone = 65%
    Kneeling = 25%
    Standing = 10%
    Good stuff Dave, good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT "Sticky Pants" Strachan
    You take the shot in the position that gives you the best chance of hitting the target (except sitting). The shots themselves though rely heavily on who set them out, it's not uncommon for the organiser to place a target and shooting post in such a place that, for example, a prone shot would be almost impossible.

I guess it's meant to reflect the varying situations that you might encounter whilst out hunting, but that's not something I would know about. Besides all that though, it's just a welcome challenge .
    Just remembered something, thanks Swat, the pegs you have to touch with yourself or rifle, lol, does long hair count? we've got a couple of horses here, perhaps i could bosh one of their tales onto my hat and take those standers kneeling Only kidding.

I suppose it must be common place to put pegs up high to make people stand? Or is it more common place for the course designers to change the position of the target, like so a bush is in the way for prone/kneeling shots? Or perhaps its both?

p.s. Swat, check your name in my quote (hilarious )

The Golden Shot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF
    If Sparky, Bones or Lou aren't around I usually sit, don't worry about Steve(Goldenshot) hes that small even when your sitting it looks like your standing to him.

On a more serious note, the course designers are Bast.... are very clever and place targets so you have to stand, kneel or go prone, making the course a good variation.

Steve I lov ya really
    cheers Matt at least someone duz

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    STICKY PANTS??!!??!?!?!!

Dammit, busted .
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

Gary C Guest
    I have no idea how Davestate shoots but I've managed 85% prone this year.
    10% Kneelers
    5% Standers

Purely depends on the course - but most have been 26 min out of 30 standing

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk but originally a Brummie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    I have no idea how Davestate shoots but I've managed 85% prone this year.
    10% Kneelers
    5% Standers

Purely depends on the course - but most have been 26 min out of 30 standing
    Erm d'you mean prone rather than standing there Gary? Just trying to be helpful, like

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    I have no idea how Davestate shoots but I've managed...
    1) I drink way too much the night before to be getting up & down that much, &,
    2) I'm there for the social side, so don't take it as serious as some.
    Rgds,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    1) I drink way too much the night before to be getting up & down that much, &,
    2) I'm there for the social side, so don't take it as serious as some.
    Forgot No.3) Being left-handed doesn't help either.
    Rgds,
    Dave.

Gary C Guest
    yeah true enough Dave
    I've seen a few I could take better LH but courses do favour the RH shooter this year I think. (chance).
    Also size helps (ooooeeeerrr)
    Tall has deffo been better early on

(and yes I do mean Prone ya Prawn )

it's not uncommon for the organiser to place a target and shooting post in such a place that, for example, a prone shot would be almost impossible.
    Scot, WHAT are you implying as if!! Just wait till Sunday.

Nero, when we set up a course we always place the pegs in the ground because that way no one can say that "as the peg is on the branch, then the whole brance is the peg" and more importantly, it makes the position equal for all statures. i.e if a 6ft 12" course builder put a peg at his shoulder height, then someone smaller could never reach the peg.

Not sure what happens in UKAHFT though as I've only had the chance to view part of the course at Ford, but it looked like all the pegs there were in the ground as well.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975