Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bsa centenary gun bag repair

bsa centenary gun bag repair

hello and a happy new year to everyone,i was wanting to know were i could get a new zip fitted to a bsa centenary gun bag (one of a thousand)1982.it is a used example but in good condition.i want it repairing as it will be coming up for sale when i get the zip fixed,it might seem a small point to some peoplebut like it to be right to sell,yes the two handles have gone but the rest of the bag is good.thanks kevin

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    You'll get the best solution suggested in the collectors section regarding this problem I feel, as many of the regulars there (myself included), have owned examples of these Centenary combo kits over the years, and a few have even experienced the bag handles splitting, and zips going, like you, too, so I am moving this thread to there . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Its not really going to make a difference to the price you get. Nice to have it fixed but a replacement zip is no longer original; so don't get too hung up about it. Sorry can't help you to who can do it but don't spend too much on it even though they are nice thick cases.

The plastic handles self-destruct even when mint in box and having never seen the light of day. So bad is it that they don't effect the collectors value.

One of the loveliest rifles ever made.

What calibre is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Its not really going to make a difference to the price you get. Nice to have it fixed but a replacement zip is no longer original; so don't get too hung up about it. Sorry can't help you to who can do it but don't spend too much on it even though they are nice thick cases.

The plastic handles self-destruct even when mint in box and having never seen the light of day. So bad is it that they don't effect the collectors value.

One of the loveliest rifles ever made.

What calibre is yours?
    thanks muskett for the reply,all it is with the zip,the gun was left standing up on the recoil whilst in the bag and its damaged one of the teeth on the zip, so when you zip it up half way up the recoil pad the zip opens back up,but just in that area, it bugs the shxt out of me,its a 22 calibre and yes it is used but a nice used example,thanks again kevin

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    To my mind the Centenial was a lovely rifle let down by it's accessories. The PH mounts supplied with the rifle were rubbish and like Muskett said above, the case handles just disintegrate after a few years. My Centenial has been used a lot, but is still in very good condition, and all the accessories are still there. What do they fetch on the market these days?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    What do they fetch on the market these days?
    Got £450 for mine last spring when skint, but it was in truly v-vgc, and near mint, with all the bits and bobs, and the bag was as new, too (perfect condition handles and zip ).

Have seen them go for far more than that in that condition however, but like I said, I was without a work contract then, and skint, with three kids to feed, so £450 injected into my finances at that time, was like a couple of grand would be now ... Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B, you had a tough year last year, but you weren't alone. Selling the odd collectable can keep ones head above water.

The Centenary doesn't make the money it probably should. It struggled to sell at the time due to its high price asked. The mounts were never great for the notorious Airsporter's ultra fine rails, which really translates to fitting the few dedicated after markets ones that came out to solve the problem.

A 6x scope would have been better too rather than a 4x.

I have a rarer .177 but the Airsporter was never going to compete with the HW77 tack driver. The .22 is therefor probably the better choice and a lovely set up for farmyard ranges. Mounts lovely as BSA's do so well and the triggers can settle down to give a fair let off.

£350 to £450 is the market rate for a top used example with all the extras. Mint a tad more, though there seems to be plenty still about mint (£650 has been asked but I'm sure £550 is tops). Well used, missing the odd thing, then neared £200 but then these don't appear often as so few were used.

Again one of the prettiest rifles ever made.
    Last edited by Muskett; 02-01-2010 at 01:31 PM.

thanks for the replys, only wanting to sell because on restoring a 70's moped,and what a get for the rifle will fund the last part of the restoration.i do have some photos but i dont know how to post them on,thanks again kev

£350 to £450 is the market rate for a top used example with all the extras. Mint a tad more, though there seems to be plenty still about mint (£650 has been asked but I'm sure £550 is tops).
    £650 seems to be the going rate for superb boxed examples, complete with all accessories, as several were sold for that price last year.
    I would have expected a price differential between the two calibres, considering the number of .177's produced (264) in comparison with .22's (736) .

Just aquired a .22 unfired, boxed with all the accessories. One of the Gun bag handle mounts was broken, otherwise it was a minter, until the screwdriver sliped out of my hand when I was tightening the mount ring screws.Oh for socket headed cap screws.

Still, now the only question is how long it will remain unfired.

can anybody explain how i can post some photos up,as i don't know were to start ,thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fs1edx View Post
    can anybody explain how i can post some photos up,as i don't know were to start ,thanks

Hi

I've pm'd my email addy to you, if you send them to my email, i'll stick them on here for you

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

I've pm'd my email addy to you, if you send them to my email, i'll stick them on here for you

John
    thanks john, pm sent and its very kind of you thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fs1edx View Post
    thanks john, pm sent and its very kind of you thanks

Hi

You forgot to put anything in the PM

Regards, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

As a long shot to get the gunslip fixed, it might be worth contacting some of the leathermaking companies still operating in Walsall to find out of they could do the job. Or maybe Brady's of Halesowen? (Assuming that Brady's still operate). It might even have been them who made the original gunslip in the first place.