Thread: Flintlock shotgun kit?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flintlock shotgun kit?

I'm interested in building a flintlock gun from a kit to do a bit of shotgunning, just to add some interest to my clay shooting! Does anyone know where I could source one from,
    Thanks

flintlock shotgun

There is a 12bore flintlock Cape Gun shotgun for sale on the MLAGB site http://www.mlagb.com/cgi-bin/forum/Y...num=1261124901

The problem with kits is the fact that the barrel has to be in proof before the RFD or private seller sells it it. This somewhat negates the kit building aspect.
    The only other alternative is to import one as a private individual. You would then only need to proof it if you intended to sell it at a later stage
    Import Licensing Branch will do you a letter if you are a FAC or SGC holder stating you don't need an import permit for the kit so it is simply a question of finding a supplier in the US who will FedEx you one over.

There's no reason why a kit can't contain a proofed barrel though. I took a bag of barrels up to London to be proofed. I kept two of them and made a gun from one and still have the other unused.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    There's no reason why a kit can't contain a proofed barrel though. I took a bag of barrels up to London to be proofed. I kept two of them and made a gun from one and still have the other unused.
    Agreed. But how do you proof an unfinished/unplugged muzzleloading barrel as supplied in a kit? Some degree of assembly will be required by the person selling in order for the proof house to physically load a charge in it and fire it.
    That is assuming the proof house has a suitable jig to rig up the barrel sans lockplate and furniture and fire it.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by loach369 View Post
    The only other alternative is to import one as a private individual. You would then only need to proof it if you intended to sell it at a later stage
    Import Licensing Branch will do you a letter if you are a FAC or SGC holder stating you don't need an import permit for the kit so it is simply a question of finding a supplier in the US who will FedEx you one over.
    I've recently retired, and am in the process of starting a home / hobby mail order business. I intend to sell airguns, black powder guns, and pre-1899 antique guns - none of which require a license in the US - to US addresses, and also to ship such items to the UK, where legal.

Many US suppliers are balking at direct sales overseas, or are charging large handling and shipping fees, way in excess of actual postate costs. I would gladly handle this transaction for you for actual costs, plus only a $10.00 fee on my part.

Please let me know.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

As most kits originate from the U.S, is there anyway to get the barrels proofed in the U.S before being sent to the UK?
    Or dont they need to be proofed to be fired in the U.S?
    A.V Marochinni O/U 12 Gauge
    Baikal S/B 12 Gauge
    Air Arms S200 MK2 .177