Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flintlock shotgun kit?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    a gun only has to be in proof if you want to sell, import or pawn it. There is no proof requirement selling antiques held as curiosity or ornament. There is no proof requirement if all you want to do is shoot it.
    Robin, does it have to be proofed BEFORE being imported?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

[QUOTE=Flashinthepan;4020846]Firstly happy new year to one and all.

Re proofing of barrels etc i would suggest a quick look at the birmingham proof house site which is a mine of information

http://www.gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

From it comes this quote

Foreign proof marks
    Until June 1980, there was reciprocal agreement for recognition of certain foreign proof marks by international agreement. Since June 1980 when the United Kingdom became a member of the International Proof Commission ( the CIP), the United Kingdom has recognised all the proof marks of other member nations and reciprocally they all recognise United Kingdom marks.

The USA is not a subscriber to the CIP.
    You do not need the barrel to be proofed to import it but, if you buy it through a UK dealer, it must be proofed before he can offer it for sale (to you) even if the sale price is zero. The dealer is the one at risk.
    The offence occurs at the point when the barrel is offered for sale.
    Your (and your club's) insurance may be invalid if using an unproved barrel.
    The finished gun must be on your SGC (or FAC as appropriate) as it is modern - as soon as you have "component parts" ie pressure bearing parts.
    One final point: I don't believe there is an exemption for antiques - even if they are collector's items only, unless the Proof House issues a certrificate of unprovability.
    Last edited by majex45; 06-01-2010 at 11:45 AM.

[QUOTE=majex45;4023851]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashinthepan View Post

The USA is not a subscriber to the CIP.
    You do not need the barrel to be proofed to import it but, if you buy it through a UK dealer, it must be proofed before he can offer it for sale (to you) even if the sale price is zero. The dealer is the one at risk.
    The offence occurs at the point when the barrel is offered for sale.
    Your (and your club's) insurance may be invalid if using an unproved barrel.
    The finished gun must be on your SGC (or FAC as appropriate) as it is modern - as soon as you have "component parts" ie pressure bearing parts.
    One final point: I don't believe there is an exemption for antiques - even if they are collector's items only, unless the Proof House issues a certrificate of unprovability.
    OK - here's what I'm thinking:

If someone in the UK had the appropriate licensing - SGC, or FAC - and sent a copy to me, or some other private citizen in the US, said US private citizen could legally send the gun to the licensee in the UK, without any need for proofing, either on the US or UK end.

There WOULD be a problem if the UK owner tried to sell it to someone else in the UK.

There MIGHT be a problem shooting the unproofed gun at a UK range.

Either problem could be resolved by having it UK proofed.

Does anyone know what that would cost?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

This appears to be a minefield....

I saw bill harriman write an article on building these kits in the BASC magazine (not a member any more), I did not realise the problems of getting one, I assumed you could just buy one! The problem with usa imports atm is the exchange rate.

I thought all guns firing obsolete cartridges, or muzzle loaders are exempt, as long as you don't intend to use them majex45. I don't think they need a certificate.

robinghewitt, that is an interesting option! On the other hand, if it is possible to import the barrel tube untapped, I may wait until I get my lathe and build the rest. Does anyone have information on conversions, or are plans available for a full gun?

Thanks everyone btw

Could a modern 12 bore breech loading barrel be threaded and plugged? Presumable it would be strong enough?

Could a modern 12 bore breech loading barrel be threaded and plugged? Presumable it would be strong enough?

Quote Originally Posted by outside View Post

I thought all guns firing obsolete cartridges, or muzzle loaders are exempt, as long as you don't intend to use them majex45. I don't think they need a certificate.
    My understnding of UK gun law is that cartridge guns firing obsolete cartridges, or muzzleloading guns that are genuine antiques (I think they must have been made before 1940, but don't quote me on that date) are exempt from licensing requirements: but that this does NOT apply to modern-made replicas of same.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    My understnding of UK gun law is that cartridge guns firing obsolete cartridges, or muzzleloading guns that are genuine antiques (I think they must have been made before 1940, but don't quote me on that date) are exempt from licensing requirements: but that this does NOT apply to modern-made replicas of same.

Jim
    Hi Jim

It is Section 58(2) of The Firearms Act that covers antique and obsolete firearms. The cut of date is generally accepted to be 1939 ie anything made prior to the outbreak of WW2 that is a muzzle loader or fires a round on the Home Office Obsolete list is exempt from licensing requirements if kept as a curio and not used to fire live or blank ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by loach369 View Post
    Hi Jim

It is Section 58(2) of The Firearms Act that covers antique and obsolete firearms. The cut of date is generally accepted to be 1939 ie anything made prior to the outbreak of WW2 that is a muzzle loader or fires a round on the Home Office Obsolete list is exempt from licensing requirements if kept as a curio and not used to fire live or blank ammunition.
    Thanks, Loach.

See, I was pretty close!

Jim

Coach Harness, where are you when we need you .

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Coach Harness, where are you when we need you .

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Robin, does it have to be proofed BEFORE being imported?
    You get 90 days to submit it for proof. If imported incomplete the clock starts to tick when hutted and touch hole drilled

Theoretically it has to go on SGC or FAC before you get you stickies on it, but that's assuming HMCE spots it.

Robin