Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flintlock shotgun kit?

Flintlock shotgun kit?

I'm interested in building a flintlock gun from a kit to do a bit of shotgunning, just to add some interest to my clay shooting! Does anyone know where I could source one from,
    Thanks

flintlock shotgun

There is a 12bore flintlock Cape Gun shotgun for sale on the MLAGB site http://www.mlagb.com/cgi-bin/forum/Y...num=1261124901

The problem with kits is the fact that the barrel has to be in proof before the RFD or private seller sells it it. This somewhat negates the kit building aspect.
    The only other alternative is to import one as a private individual. You would then only need to proof it if you intended to sell it at a later stage
    Import Licensing Branch will do you a letter if you are a FAC or SGC holder stating you don't need an import permit for the kit so it is simply a question of finding a supplier in the US who will FedEx you one over.

There's no reason why a kit can't contain a proofed barrel though. I took a bag of barrels up to London to be proofed. I kept two of them and made a gun from one and still have the other unused.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    There's no reason why a kit can't contain a proofed barrel though. I took a bag of barrels up to London to be proofed. I kept two of them and made a gun from one and still have the other unused.
    Agreed. But how do you proof an unfinished/unplugged muzzleloading barrel as supplied in a kit? Some degree of assembly will be required by the person selling in order for the proof house to physically load a charge in it and fire it.
    That is assuming the proof house has a suitable jig to rig up the barrel sans lockplate and furniture and fire it.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by loach369 View Post
    The only other alternative is to import one as a private individual. You would then only need to proof it if you intended to sell it at a later stage
    Import Licensing Branch will do you a letter if you are a FAC or SGC holder stating you don't need an import permit for the kit so it is simply a question of finding a supplier in the US who will FedEx you one over.
    I've recently retired, and am in the process of starting a home / hobby mail order business. I intend to sell airguns, black powder guns, and pre-1899 antique guns - none of which require a license in the US - to US addresses, and also to ship such items to the UK, where legal.

Many US suppliers are balking at direct sales overseas, or are charging large handling and shipping fees, way in excess of actual postate costs. I would gladly handle this transaction for you for actual costs, plus only a $10.00 fee on my part.

Please let me know.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

As most kits originate from the U.S, is there anyway to get the barrels proofed in the U.S before being sent to the UK?
    Or dont they need to be proofed to be fired in the U.S?
    A.V Marochinni O/U 12 Gauge
    Baikal S/B 12 Gauge
    Air Arms S200 MK2 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
    As most kits originate from the U.S, is there anyway to get the barrels proofed in the U.S before being sent to the UK?
    Or dont they need to be proofed to be fired in the U.S?
    Proofing is not a legal requirement in the US, though I daresay most manufacturers probably do shoot proof loads: at least in a sampling of their products.

This is something I can look into, for anyone who's interested;

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I think the proof test required for a sale in this country needs to be done at London or Birmingham.

Yes you can have just a barrel proof tested and as I mentioned, I had a bag of musket barrels proofed at London.

I don't know the rules for importing the kits but I thought that if you bought a blank tube which was not tapped for a breach plug nor drilled for a touch hole, then the sale was unrestricted, but as I say, i don't know this for a fact.

A friend has made several of Track's kits so i'm sure the problems aren't insurmountable.

Steve.

I thought US proof was accepted in the U.K. I think we need clarification on this matter.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    AA S410, one gun, and I know how to use it.

My mistake, there are no US proof houses, any 'proving' will have been done in house.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    AA S410, one gun, and I know how to use it.

Gun kits and proofing

Firstly happy new year to one and all.

Re proofing of barrels etc i would suggest a quick look at the birmingham proof house site which is a mine of information

http://www.gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

From it comes this quote

Foreign proof marks
    Until June 1980, there was reciprocal agreement for recognition of certain foreign proof marks by international agreement. Since June 1980 when the United Kingdom became a member of the International Proof Commission ( the CIP), the United Kingdom has recognised all the proof marks of other member nations and reciprocally they all recognise United Kingdom marks.

Re the actual submision of guns for proofing they say the following

Since stocks, and particularly those with unusual “bend” or “cast”, are not designed to withstand the heavy recoil of proof, it is customary for the wood to be removed. Indeed, the Proof House do not accept responsability for damage to stocks resulting from proof.

Jim I like your idea and when I have got the pennys together would ceretainly be interested in such a transaction.

Cheers
    Nigel
    Last edited by Flashinthepan; 04-01-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Dyslexic I think that how its is spelt

Why not buy a cheap, antique percussion gun, already proofed, then convert it? This may invalidate the proof, BUT, a gun only has to be in proof if you want to sell, import or pawn it. There is no proof requirement selling antiques held as curiosity or ornament. There is no proof requirement if all you want to do is shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashinthepan View Post
    Firstly happy new year to one and all.

Re proofing of barrels etc i would suggest a quick look at the birmingham proof house site which is a mine of information

http://www.gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

From it comes this quote

Foreign proof marks
    Until June 1980, there was reciprocal agreement for recognition of certain foreign proof marks by international agreement. Since June 1980 when the United Kingdom became a member of the International Proof Commission ( the CIP), the United Kingdom has recognised all the proof marks of other member nations and reciprocally they all recognise United Kingdom marks.

Re the actual submision of guns for proofing they say the following

Since stocks, and particularly those with unusual “bend” or “cast”, are not designed to withstand the heavy recoil of proof, it is customary for the wood to be removed. Indeed, the Proof House do not accept responsability for damage to stocks resulting from proof.

Jim I like your idea and when I have got the pennys together would ceretainly be interested in such a transaction.

Cheers
    Nigel
    Sounds good, Nigel! Just let me know when.

Jim