Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More co2 pistol questions

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......

More co2 pistol questions

Sorry, more info needed
    Just what is the difference between a Walther cp88 and CP99 ? I would have imagined the '99 to be the newer one, but it seems cheaper than the 88. Anyone out there know ?
    Cheers

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    The CP88 is a copy of the Walther P88, the CP99 is a copy of the Walther P99, it doesn't get much more simple than that . Both guns are still in production but they do have differences.

The CP99 can be bought in either all plastic (the CP99 Sport) or metal slide version. The Sport can only be fired double-action though, as there's no cocking mechanism and the hammer is internal. The metal slide version though can be cocked and fired single-action. However both models suffer from low power, partly because they use a revolver action for feeding pellets (8 shot rotary mag) but also because the CP99s have removeable valve assemblies (in the CO2 clip).

The CP88 is also a rotary mag, but as the CO2 valve is fixed, it has slightly higher power. But the CP88 is a double or single action pistol with an external hammer. In my opinion, the CP99 is the better looking pistol, but the CP88 is the better to shoot. You can also get a barrel extension for the CP88 from 4" to 6".
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

Is there anything else that looks as good , and is multi-shot, ie co2 ? The only other gun im considering is the Anics Skif, but Im still not sure, I dont know wether that long barrel is removable on the Skif.
    Sorry to be a pain in the ass !

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    If you want a good alternative multishot CO2 pistol, then the only realy (affordable) choice is the Smith & Wesson 6" or 8" revolver. It's accuracy is well proven and it has a 10 shot mag instead of the 8 shot found in most of the Umarex clones.

The barrels on the S&W are interchangeable, so you can find which suits you best (mine's the 8" nickel version). The standard sights are fully adjustable for windage and elevation and the sight blade is replaceable with different size units. However you can easily replace the open sights with either an 11mm rail or a Weaver one, then mount the red-dot sight of your choice. Hell you can even get silencers and shoulder stocks for them! (note: shoulder stock not allowed in comps). Personally I wouldn't go for the Skiff (I do have one though ), although it's a 28 shot pistol, that trigger pull is just WAY too heavy to make it practical for competitions, good for informal plinking though. Pellet jams can be a right pain in the %&£$ as well.

Most members of this BBS will attest to the quality of the S&W pistols. There are other pistols you could consider, such as the Rohm Twinmaster / Trainer range, but they're less adaptable and more expensive. The Steyr LP5 is a fun little semi-auto pistol that can rattle off 5 shots in the blink of an eye, but you'll need a second mortgage to buy one .

Hope that's of some help.
    Last edited by SWAT Strachan; 05-10-2004 at 10:07 PM.
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

Externally the Skif is quite similar to the CP99, particularly around the grip area. The Brocock version with the longer barrel is not removable, and it's not a silencer either.

DJP Guest
    The CP88 and 99 are frustrating little pistols: Look good, shoot cr@p. I agree with SWAT - if you wanna hit what you aim at then get a S&W. They're leagues ahead of most other CO2 pistols.

For me the S&W is the best CO2 pistol I've ever had, and I've had lots of them. It is accurate and reliable IME. I like the sights, the balance, and the simple fact that if you need to take a more precise and studied shot, you can simply cock the hammer without losing aim. I also find the trigger to be one of the best.

Darren Petts Guest
    S&W IS the best of the modern pistols but still pales next to a 40+ year old Crosman 600.

Well, Im not really interested in competative shooting, its just plinking really.Ive seen the S&W, it looks so huge though.
    Im still undecided ,but Im still leaning towards a CP99... I assume the Gamo pistols arn't up to much?

Iv got a berreta 92Fs it shoots great easy to use and is all metal with wooden grips.

Darren Petts Guest
    If you try a CP99 and a S&W side by side the Cp99 won't be picked up twice.

I've got a CP99 and its great fun for plinking with, you just keep squeezing that trigger and watching the tin cans fly. As its CO2 its easier to load than a springer, enabling children to use it (under supervision of course).

If its just for back garden plinking at tin cans and the such, then you won't be disapointed with a CP99. If you want to do some target shooting then go for something else.

Has anybody got any info on the "remanufactured" Crosman CO2 pistols at JSR.at 30quid they seem a bargain.Or is it that they're only worth 30 quid?

'Tis only for plinking really. Bugger it, its getting closer

Streff Guest
    I have a S&W (6"), a Skiff and a Beretta 92fs - my personal favorite is the Smith.
    I never use the other two for any competitive shooting, but i do plink in the back garden range with them, their fine for 10m work, but dont have the accuracy/power for distance stuff. The 92fs is the looker of the bunch though.