Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More co2 pistol questions

Amen to that.

Skimmer Guest
    I have the CP88, and also the Beretta92F and the Walther PPK and Makarov 654k.

The CP88 is the best of the bunch for accuracy, but the Beretta feels much better in the hand. The PPK is great fun - but not accurate at all. The Makarov is more accurate than the PPK because it doesnt blow back, but it does have a pretty ropey trigger.

My favourite - is the CP88

Only problems I know of are CP88 slide release catch sometimes rotates to far and sticks. The PPK return spring bends easily and does need replacing now and again. The Makarov would probably work if you filled it full of treacle! Very substantial! The Beretta has seen no problems.

Streff Guest
    I've seen a few problems with some of the CP88's during fast reloading, the magazine not indexing correctly, and causing a jam. easily fixed, but annoying. I've never had that problem with the Beretta, even though its a similar setup... not sure if its exactly the same though.

Never had a reload problem with the Smith & Wesson or the Skiff, though the Skiff has a delicate metal plate on the magazine that could be prone to bending...

Mike Pearce Guest
    If you can wait there's another pistol about to appear on the scene.

Its the Anics A9000 & is a Beretta look-alike with a new 22 shot mag.

Aparently it's trigger is much better than the original Anics & you can get 3 mags to the CO2 capsule. If it's as good as promised, it should be a very good little pistol.

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    Any idea how long before that comes out ? It could be ideal

abbo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pearce
    If you can wait there's another pistol about to appear on the scene.
    Its the Anics A9000 & is a Beretta look-alike with a new 22 shot mag.
    Hmmm, must remember that. I recall reading something about a new model when they moved factories last year.

Quote Originally Posted by throdgrain
    Well, Im not really interested in competative shooting, its just plinking really.Ive seen the S&W, it looks so huge though.
    Im still undecided ,but Im still leaning towards a CP99... I assume the Gamo pistols arn't up to much?
    Plinking is more fun if you can actually hit what you are aiming at occasionally. Yes, the S&W is huge. I guess that the folks in Texas, who the original model was made for, must have very big right hands for some reason. But the gun is well balanced and very accurate, you get used to the feel of it after a while.

Streff Guest
    I think the trick with the S&W is to hold it far higher up than you would expect, lining up your hand with the top end of the grip, rather than holding it where it would "seem" logical, as the front end is hella heavy, and will droop faster than the proverbial brewer.

It is a big gun, but the weight and general size really help make it a steady, accurate and reliable shooting iron.

(and no, i'm not getting sales commision. )

Skimmer Guest
    JUST AN OPINION - As what you are asking really is a bit subjective.

The P88 is a copy of the handgun Walther created with the target market of the USAforces handgun competition - later won by Beretta. The P88 was Walthers first ever gun that moved away from their own barrel locking system and adopted the more standard Browning blowback system.

Much to Walthers dismay - the US decided it would have prefered Walther to offer one of its previous system!

The P99 was fairly rushed in - as an alternative, offering more modern technology, including polymer frame options, accessory rail, streamlined latches and safety for ease of holstering etc. It also offered a positive "cocked" indicator, not present on the Umarex copy.

The P99 has not proved a popular style for most - apparently because it may appear more "Toy" in appearance, and not meeting most peoples Idea of what a gun looks like. Its fair to say both models have not had "booming" commercial sales successes as real firearms - which limits the appeal for those seeking a replica.

Both Umarex versions use the same rotary mag, the CP88 delivers a bit more power - not much. The advantages of the P99 would be the CO2 bulb being housed in a drop magazine, and the mag release catches at the rear of the trigger guard.

Walther have now dropped the P88, but are still offering a variety of P99's including .22, sport, DA only and various other flavours.

One point of interest is that Umarex are launching (already available in the USA), a custom laser unit for the CP99, which actually uses the forward accessory rail, and styles in nicely with the shape of the gun. It will be in the UK by Xmas apparently and would make a nice add-on. They also do the Nighthawk "tactical abominations with all sorts of stuff bolted on.

Pays ya money - takes your choice. I chose the CP88 - and have enjoyed it a lot, but the CP99 is tempting again with the new laser coming along.

clubshot Guest

Arrow

You get what you pay for these day's especially with Gamo

CP99 looks great , but valving makes it good for a couple of magazines then you will have trouble as power drops until gas warms up

CP88 is a much better valving and better constancy

But the 8 shot magazines often wear and loose teeth resulting in bad pellet engement.

My Favourite and most peaople I have up on the Range is the 6in Smith

I have a Anics Skiff , great in competitions , but end up with sore fingers after competitions.

The F1 is a longer barrel to give more power , still same trigger , heavy.

And Yes I do have Licensed Brocock Pistols

www.practicalpistoluk.com

For pistols Shooters that want to do more than plink

But recently got into Shooting .44 Underlever Rifle , Gallery Style so it's another world

BOB/R

A question for all you Smith & Wesson owners out there. Is the S&W 6 " powerful enough to knock over the metal boar knockdown target that is widely available. I ask because my Webley Hurricane can knock it over at a reasonable range but my CO2 powered CP99 doesn't have the power to knock the metal target over.