Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10M pistol home practicing

Smile

I currently train with the GB Squad even though I shoot for ROI we do Dry fire training, and train triggering it is a big part of our training but I will say only work on one thing at a time, so one day your training goal is to have a smoother trigger so if you are live or dry firing .

This is the reason I do not like the laser dot or shooting in front of a mirror you can only concentrate on one thing at a time so if you are looking at a red dot or at the end of your gun in a mirror you cannot be looking at the sights.
    I do have a list of drills and stuff pm me if you would like a copy.

Peter

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Peter got there just before me! I was about to reply much along the same lines, anything that takes the concentration away from the sights such as the mirror idea and the laser dot is likely to cause a problem rather than help, just concentrate on the sights and maintaining that sight picture through the trigger release.
    If you wish to train for a steady hold that is a completely different issue, but it will be irrelavent unless the sight picture is held correctly through a good trigger release and that is where the most advantage can be gained from training.
    As also being another returning old fart, I am constantly surprised at how wobbly (not choice, but because of old muscles!) my hold can be and yet I can shoot good scores as long as the sight picture and release is good.
    As I said "Successfull Pistol Shooting" by Frank and Paul Leatherdale is a good foundation and development pistol shooting book.
    best regards and good shooting,
    Robin

Thanks Robin, I used to have a copy of Paul's book, it is very good.

I'm begining to wish that I'd never replied to this thread! (only joking)

The way I see it is this: To release the perfect shot you must combine several factors. Sight picture, hold, trigger release and follow through.

Sight picture involves the eyes, the hold, stance and breathing (don't shoot me down in flames if I've missed anything, don't forget I'm an old fart).

Trigger release involves grip and trigger finger, so, you should be able to practice trigger release with you eyes closed as a seperate exercise, and, also break down the other parts of the position into seperate units and practice them, a bit like working on different muscle groups one at a time in the gym with the ultimate aim of improving overall body fitness.

Peter says you can only concentrate on one thing at a time but to execute the shot you have to divide your concentration over all the factors, so I believe(rightly or wrongly and I'm sure someone will correct me!) that you can train each factor seperately then bring them all together with live shooting training sessions.

Well I gone on long enough about this and I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur who has been involved in the sport in one form or another since 1970. I hope my comments have at least contributed something to the thread.

Regards

Nigel

mentioned previously www.bullseyepistol.com

and i have recently found that the magazine "bow international" have regular articles on the phsycological side of shooting,all be it archery.
    the same principles apply. available from w.h.smiths.

if any body has any back issues?
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    A good book is "Successfull Pistol Shooting" by Frank and Paul Leatherdale, we don't need the book, Frank is a regular at our club!
    Now that is impressive! I am sure that he is still a very competitive shot.

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Thanks for all the useful advice.
    For now, I've been practicing holding the sight picture during trigger release, and can see a slight improvement already.

I'll be shooting 20 scoring shots each day as well to see how any improvements go, but I'll be looking at the grouping more than the scores themselves.

Cheers all.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Rockphoon,
    Frank is still very enthusiastic, at 86 a charming gentleman and still a superb coach with that ability to help others improve. He still shoots regularly and switches between a Steyr and his FWB 65.
    Best regards and good shooting
    Robin

YHPM

Rod

Depending on how fanatic you are:
    You can:
    dry fire
    Now is great to use practise targets as well, to check for and solve, technique mistakes and improve technique.
    You can use a reddot. This very clearly shows trigger errors.
    You can work on yr strength in arms/hand, yr balance, fitness, etc.
    You can life fire, at smaller targets
    You can funshoot at funtargets. Good to keep the fun in shooting alive, the motivation . Shooting is never useless. And its fun! I always do several shots on the gamo silhouet pellet trap after my serious shooting. Just as a fun closure.
    Last edited by hwtyger; 08-01-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    A good book is "Successfull Pistol Shooting" by Frank and Paul Leatherdale, we don't need the book, Frank is a regular at our club!

Now that is impressive! I am sure that he is still a very competitive shot.
    I just got my ex library copy of this today after hunting around on Amazon. It's in pretty good condition and looks to have some very useful information. Sad seeing all the now banned pistols in it though.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cones View Post
    I just got my ex library copy of this today after hunting around on Amazon. It's in pretty good condition and looks to have some very useful information. Sad seeing all the now banned pistols in it though.

Mark
    just had a look on amazon out of interest, please tell me those prices are incorrect!! £54.00 up to £100.
    i have two copies sitting here
    happy with my lot!

Mine was only £18 posted.

I don't think I would want to part with more than £30 or so for one.

Mark

I was lucky to get Laslo Antal's 'Competitive Pistol Shooting' in mint 2nd edition paperback for £4 inc. postage from a lady on e-Bay.
    IanR
    Daystate MK4 S .177 ~ Steyr LP2 ~ Brno Tau-7

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    I was lucky to get Laslo Antal's 'Competitive Pistol Shooting' in mint 2nd edition paperback for £4 inc. postage from a lady on e-Bay.
    considered to be 'the bible' by many.
    happy with my lot!

The hardest thing for me is focusing on the foresight rather than the target. When I remember to get this right my groups improve vastly.
    IanR
    Daystate MK4 S .177 ~ Steyr LP2 ~ Brno Tau-7