Thread: Old Nikko Stirling Platinum W.A

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking A Spanner in the works

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    Are you certain these are fully multi-coated? The box says "fully coated" i.e single layer on every element. All other literature I have found describe these as fully coated. e.g

"I remembered these scopes from the mid 90's and dug out an article by Nick Jenkinson in an old copy of AGW which was lurking in the loft.
    This confirmed that the Nikko had fully coated lenses and excellent optics."

Except ad for Webley platinum. They're not the brightest of scopes either and the image has a slight blue tint in direct comparison with my other scopes which are all fully MC.
    It may be that spec may have changed over the years or be slightly different per badge.
    Very clear though with good contrast, mono tube and the build quality is solid. I have the Nikko 3-9x40 wa/pa. Beats current Chinese Simmons, Hawke etc easily
    Thanks for the pics on the link!!!! You maybe right maybe they did change later on but the bloke who sold these new years ago said they were multi coated and on the box it says about the 15 layers of ruby coating so i am not sure now??? The 3-9x40AO i have has the slight blue tinge to the picture you talk about where as the 4-12x40AO doesn't but both are crystal clear!!!!

I have just found both boxes which are the same. It says and i quote:
    Obj. lens multi coated with 15 layers ruby coating for the best clarity & quality. Fog proofed by nitrogen process. Image moving system. Parallax corrected, shock proof. 1/4 click adjustment. Wide Angle. Made in Korea.

Niko stirling

I have some NIKO STIRLING PLATINUM 6-24X56 nighteaters with the ruby lens which i was thinking of parting with but all the good press they get they might be keepers.

I had a SIMMONS WHITE TAIL CLASSIC 3.5-10x50 on a Rapid 7 years ago, supposed to be all singing all dancing scope at the time, until i got hold of a Nikko sterling platinum 4-12x50, imo the simmonds didn't come even close!
    6mm BR, Lawton Action ,Kreiger BarreL lazzeroni thumbhole Stock, Jewel Trigger, 6.5-24x50 Zeiss/drone prox10, tikka t3 super varmnt.223 vortex viper HST 6-24x50, /drone prox10, cz .22lr

I agree I have a 4-12x40AO on a old Daystate Huntsman Mk2 .22 crystal clear on all ranges on all mags. I am still looking to find another, however they seem as rare as the stuff that comes from a rocking horse. Love the scope and love the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by PB17 View Post
    I agree I have a 4-12x40AO on a old Daystate Huntsman Mk2 .22 crystal clear on all ranges on all mags. I am still looking to find another, however they seem as rare as the stuff that comes from a rocking horse. Love the scope and love the rifle.
    Try Bob (username Scotland rifles) He was selling one a short while ago and may still have it.