Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Nikko Stirling Platinum W.A

Thumbs up Old Nikko Stirling Platinum W.A

Now i am like everyone else, i like to use a nice scope.
    I like the classic looks so older scopes of the 80's and 90's especially those with a gloss black body really appeals to me.I have various scopes and brands, Japanese Tasco to name but one that we all know.

There was one old scope that i seemed to keep missing, usually found it when someone had just said" i will take this" And then i bought 2 in a space of a week and a 3rd to follow in the next couple of weeks depending when you are reading this.

The Nikko Stirling Platinum W.A with the ruby front lens.
    The same Korean Factory made the top of the range scopes for two other brands Webley Platinum and Parker Hale Premier Gold, all basically the same scope.

There seems to be very little information on any of these any where
    But this is what i know from what i have found on the net and from people in the know;
    The scopes in the Platinum range are made in Korea using top grade Japanese glass. All lenses are multi coated and the front lens it has 15 seperate layers of ruby coating for best light transition and best picture as these scopes were top of the range, just incase i forgot to mention Bumf finished.

I have the Nikko 3-9x40AO, 4-12x40AO and soon the 4-12x50AO
    I have put them on my non ticket S410k and Annie .22lr so far.

To look at them they just look fantastic and the all in one gloss body tube should prove robust. all the adjustment point feel good and positive without being stiff. The mag and fast eye adjustment design i really do like as it is so quick and easy to change mag and zoom in, effort less with one hand infact

The deep ruby lens looks swish and the picture quality is amazingly clear and bright. The fine detail in the picture is great and to think these scopes must date back to the 90's i would think is a testerment to them!!

The ret is simular to the ole Simmons Truplex and is Air gun to Centre fire rated which is great as the cross hairs of old could be fragile

In the field the Platinum works really well always giving a nice clear picture even in over cast conditions and never loosing zero even after being knocked.
    The only thing i don't like is lamping with them, and they are both the same. They have too much glare from the light,the picture is too bright and uncomfortable to use. I am not sure why although a filter helps the some what.

I rate these scope highly but i admit at first the thought of them being made in Korea put me off a bit even knowing they use Jap glass, however to be honest the quality is up there with the best of them so i am chuffed with them hence buying another

These won't be to everyones liking i know but if you get a chance atleast take a look, it will be worth it

If anyone know anything else of interest about these scope please tell us!!!

Chuckles

PS i have bought another Nikko Stirling 4-12x50AO making 4 in all, these are seriously good But that's my lot now as i have run out of guns to fit anymore on!!!
    Last edited by jumbuck; 09-01-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added PS and a bit of humour!!!!

scope

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    Now i am like everyone else, i like to use a nice scope.
    I like the classic looks so older scopes of the 80's and 90's especially those with a gloss black body really appeals to me.I have various scopes and brands, Japanese Tasco to name but one that we all know.

There was one old scope that i seemed to keep missing, usually found it when someone had just said" i will take this" And then i bought 2 in a space of a week and a 3rd to follow in the next couple of weeks depending when you are reading this.

The Nikko Stirling Platinum W.A with the ruby front lens.
    The same Korean Factory made the top of the range scopes for two other brands Webley Platinum and Parker Hale Premier Gold, all basically the same scope.

There seems to be very little information on any of these any where
    But this is what i know from what i have found on the net and from people in the know;
    The scopes in the Platinum range are made in Korea using top grade Japanese glass. All lenses are multi coated and the front lens it has 15 seperate layers of ruby coating for best light transition and best picture as these scopes were top of the range, just incase i forgot to mention Bumf finished.

I have the Nikko 3-9x40AO, 4-12x40AO and soon the 4-12x50AO
    I have put them on my non ticket S410k and Annie .22lr so far.

To look at them they just look fantastic and the all in one gloss body tube should prove robust. all the adjustment point feel good and positive without being stiff. The mag and fast eye adjustment design i really do like as it is so quick and easy to change mag and zoom in, effort less with one hand infact

The deep ruby lens looks swish and the picture quality is amazingly clear and bright. The fine detail in the picture is great and to think these scopes must date back to the 90's i would think is a testerment to them!!

The ret is simular to the ole Simmons Truplex and is Air gun to Centre fire rated which is great as the cross hairs of old could be fragile

In the field the Platinum works really well always giving a nice clear picture even in over cast conditions and never loosing zero even after being knocked.
    The only thing i don't like is lamping with them, and they are both the same. They have too much glare from the light,the picture is too bright and uncomfortable to use. I am not sure why although a filter helps the some what.

I rate these scope highly but i admit at first the thought of them being made in Korea put me off a bit even knowing they use Jap glass, however to be honest the quality is up there with the best of them so i am chuffed with them hence buying another

These won't be to everyones liking i know but if you get a chance atleast take a look, it will be worth it

If anyone know anything else of interest about these scope please tell us!!!

Chuckles
    years ago when money was always in are minds i got one of theres scopes and never missed any thing. then when i was older and got better scopes i often think the old ones were better

Are you certain these are fully multi-coated? The box says "fully coated" i.e single layer on every element. All other literature I have found describe these as fully coated. e.g

"I remembered these scopes from the mid 90's and dug out an article by Nick Jenkinson in an old copy of AGW which was lurking in the loft.
    This confirmed that the Nikko had fully coated lenses and excellent optics."

Except ad for Webley platinum. They're not the brightest of scopes either and the image has a slight blue tint in direct comparison with my other scopes which are all fully MC.
    It may be that spec may have changed over the years or be slightly different per badge.
    Very clear though with good contrast, mono tube and the build quality is solid. I have the Nikko 3-9x40 wa/pa. Beats current Chinese Simmons, Hawke etc easily
    Last edited by POK!; 03-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Talking A Spanner in the works

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    Are you certain these are fully multi-coated? The box says "fully coated" i.e single layer on every element. All other literature I have found describe these as fully coated. e.g

"I remembered these scopes from the mid 90's and dug out an article by Nick Jenkinson in an old copy of AGW which was lurking in the loft.
    This confirmed that the Nikko had fully coated lenses and excellent optics."

Except ad for Webley platinum. They're not the brightest of scopes either and the image has a slight blue tint in direct comparison with my other scopes which are all fully MC.
    It may be that spec may have changed over the years or be slightly different per badge.
    Very clear though with good contrast, mono tube and the build quality is solid. I have the Nikko 3-9x40 wa/pa. Beats current Chinese Simmons, Hawke etc easily
    Thanks for the pics on the link!!!! You maybe right maybe they did change later on but the bloke who sold these new years ago said they were multi coated and on the box it says about the 15 layers of ruby coating so i am not sure now??? The 3-9x40AO i have has the slight blue tinge to the picture you talk about where as the 4-12x40AO doesn't but both are crystal clear!!!!

I have just found both boxes which are the same. It says and i quote:
    Obj. lens multi coated with 15 layers ruby coating for the best clarity & quality. Fog proofed by nitrogen process. Image moving system. Parallax corrected, shock proof. 1/4 click adjustment. Wide Angle. Made in Korea.

Niko stirling

I have some NIKO STIRLING PLATINUM 6-24X56 nighteaters with the ruby lens which i was thinking of parting with but all the good press they get they might be keepers.

I had a SIMMONS WHITE TAIL CLASSIC 3.5-10x50 on a Rapid 7 years ago, supposed to be all singing all dancing scope at the time, until i got hold of a Nikko sterling platinum 4-12x50, imo the simmonds didn't come even close!
    6mm BR, Lawton Action ,Kreiger BarreL lazzeroni thumbhole Stock, Jewel Trigger, 6.5-24x50 Zeiss/drone prox10, tikka t3 super varmnt.223 vortex viper HST 6-24x50, /drone prox10, cz .22lr

I agree I have a 4-12x40AO on a old Daystate Huntsman Mk2 .22 crystal clear on all ranges on all mags. I am still looking to find another, however they seem as rare as the stuff that comes from a rocking horse. Love the scope and love the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by PB17 View Post
    I agree I have a 4-12x40AO on a old Daystate Huntsman Mk2 .22 crystal clear on all ranges on all mags. I am still looking to find another, however they seem as rare as the stuff that comes from a rocking horse. Love the scope and love the rifle.
    Try Bob (username Scotland rifles) He was selling one a short while ago and may still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    I have just picked up one of these Platinum Nikkos in 6 x 45 with Glossy metalwork for 35 quid

Have I done well?

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

scope

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I have just picked up one of these Platinum Nikkos in 6 x 45 with Glossy metalwork for 35 quid

Have I done well?

Matty
    can't go wrong Matty, the old gloss looks neat on period kit, ie 80s hw anything.

I have the 3.5-10x45 version. It's comparable to the Bushnell trophy I have (3-9x40) and the WTC I had (3-9x40). Nothing special but quite nice.

I believe that with the passage of time, the 'ruby' lenses may have become 'rose tinted' to some peoples eyes
    Last edited by benchstop; 22-12-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: bushnell

Thumbs up I still have them and my opinion is still the same as 2 years ago

Two years after writing the review i still have the scopes.
    3-9x40AO on BAM B40 (TX Clone)
    4-12x40AO on AA TX200HC MkII
    4-12x50AO on Annie 1517 .17HMR
    4-12x50AO on BSA Spitfire Carbine SF
    The Parker Hale Premier Gold is the same scope in Matte and on the BSA

I have no intentions of selling them as still excellent scopes
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Well the 6 x 45 "Ruby" arrived today and the quality is superb

I have put it straight onto my AGT 77K

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.