Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Longbow ... The Omega MkII

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post

why go back to the omega name
    dont think so
    I agree with all the above, especially the differences in design between the Omega and the Longbow (barrel catch and open sights on the former, omitted from the latter, the latter available in walnut, the former not ), and am glad that Webley (as was) settled for the name Longbow, rather than Omega II.

But Omega II was, I believe, the first name suggested for calling this rifle, as told me by the guru alluded to in this thread’s opening post, for the guru in question, was none other than Tony Wall of Sandwell Field Sports … Nuff said.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    I agree with all the above, especially the differences in design between the Omega and the Longbow (barrel catch and open sights on the former, omitted from the latter, the latter available in walnut, the former not ), and am glad that Webley (as was) settled for the name Longbow, rather than Omega II.

But Omega II was, I believe, the first name suggested for calling this rifle, as told me by the guru alluded to in this thread’s opening post, for the guru in question, was none other than Tony Wall of Sandwell Field Sports … Nuff said.
    there you go then
    he is off his friggin head

there you go then
    he is off his friggin head
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... dontcha know it.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Exclamation Longbow = best Webley ever made

Nuff said

Omega & Longbow = joint best Webleys ever made

Now that is 'nuff said.

I posted a thread about this a while ago

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350878

It was about a review I saw that was for the "New" Turkish Longbow but the action of the test rifle looked to have Omega on it. (The link in my old post has now changed).

I was told that the Omega went out of production a long time ago but the pictures were clearly a Longbow with Omega written on the cylinder.

I bet that gun in the review would be worth getting your hands on if you were an Omega collector!

Johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Hi johnj, what an interesting slant on the above. Maybe a prototype tube embossing/pressing tool from the original Brum Webley factory went with the Longbow tooling when it was shipped out to Turkey ???

The genuine, -built Omega did go out of production in the 1990s however, and the Turkish built Longbows (aka the Turkish Omegas) aren't of anything like as good a build quality as their names-sakes, but are still interesting rifles, nonetheless. Again then, thanks for the above, as it ads a very interesting avenue to the original name argument . Atb: G.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I was told (on here yonks ago) by someone that the the Tomahawk was the Omega Mk2, when I had posed the question of why Webley failed to develop the Omega further.

In any case, I reckon the Tomahawk, like the Patriot, were probably developed with the US market in mind (just look at the names, both vaguely associated with the early days of the Republic, Indian wars/American rebels) and not only because Webley wanted a new rifle from its Venom aquisition.

Anyway, at the risk of encurring the mighty Gareth's wrath I'm after a Tomahawk if anyones got one......
    Last edited by ogilkes; 04-01-2010 at 03:42 PM.

stingray tommahawk longbow exocet patriot are all named after missiles are they not so why go back to the omega name
    dont think so
    Then why not the Webley Half Nori (house brick) ? Thats one of the most popular missiles round here during the summer riots.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Then why not the Webley Half Nori (house brick) ? Thats one of the most popular missiles round here during the summer riots.

ATB
    Ian

And for a long number of years beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Anyway, at the risk of encurring the mighty Gareth's wrath I'm after a Tomahawk if anyones got one......
    Ha ha. No wrath here matey, as imo, in their own way, Tomahawks are also fine rifles. Either get it upped to 20ft.lb and put on your FAC ticket however, or converted via V-Mac to a short stroke action if remaining sub 12ft.lb, and you'll have a quality bit of kit on your hands . Atb: G.

Smile

How many ft lbs is a half Nori, bet you should have an FAC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    How many ft lbs is a half Nori, bet you should have an FAC!!!
    Or if it’s an old crumbly Manchester red, ergo prone to breaking up into thousands of pieces on impact, an SGC at the very least.

Ay up Gareth

Why is it that Webley named all their guns after Planes or Missiles

except for the Omega which was named after a type of dogfood ?

All the best and a happy new year Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 04-01-2010 at 06:58 PM.

An half Nori ( Iron spelt backwards as they did not make the original moulds mirror image) would be more like an armour piercing shell than a shotty round.