Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please - Period Mounts

Help Please - Period Mounts

Hi all,
    I want to fit an Anschutz 335 and an Original 45 with period scopes. Can anyone tell me what would be the best period mounts to use. This will be followed up by a post in the wanted section.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Rhino one-piece mount would be the best. There was also the Apel one-piece, but I would not use that on the Original 45 even thought it was tailored to fit it. I had one on my 50T01 (same scope ramp) and the hard steel arrestor stud that overhangs at the front slowly ploughed its way through the soft steel of the ramp!

Rhino one-piece for the Original 45.

Apel or Rhino one-piece for the Anschutz 335 or Rhino two-piece.

Fantastic information. Thank you

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Period pellets can sometimes be found on yBay

If you have .177 rifles then try the following ..

H&N Match
    H&N Pointed (accurate if you select individual pellets)
    H&N Hollowpoint (a very accurate pellet)
    RWS Meisterkugeln (my favourite, extremely accurate, slightly heavy and consistent)
    Eley Wasp (in the little red tin, I think they did well in Original 45 barrels, make sure they are proper old ones though!)

Sorry, apart from RWS Hobby, I can't make a recommendation for a period pellet for .22. I think some people used RWS Superpoints but I always found they threw fliers. Perhaps a matter of careful selection.

Hi,
    They are both in .177 flavour so I will follow your advice
    Thanks,
    Ken

Note these pellets probably won't give as good performance at long range as a modern type like JSB, Air Arms or H&N FTT. Just thought you might want to try the complete 80s experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The Rhino one-piece mount would be the best. There was also the Apel one-piece, but I would not use that on the Original 45 even thought it was tailored to fit it. I had one on my 50T01 (same scope ramp) and the hard steel arrestor stud that overhangs at the front slowly ploughed its way through the soft steel of the ramp!

Rhino one-piece for the Original 45.

Apel or Rhino one-piece for the Anschutz 335 or Rhino two-piece.
    Are these a 13mm dovetail?

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    Are these a 13mm dovetail?
    I think they are 11mm if I can remember back 20 years ... The Weihrauchs had 13mm dovetails until the late 1970s, and the Hammerlis did too, can't remember any other 13mms from those days. Rhino and Apel did make 13mm mounts I am sure, but most were the 11mm ones.

For real authenticity, most people used two-piece mounts as the one-piece jobs were very expensive (£25, just under half the price of a new HW35 from a discount house) and these usually meant having an arrestor block as well, fitted behind the rear mount. You can still get them I think from Chambers, Knibbs or Manchester Air Guns.

For the 45 a 11mm Rhino one piece does the biz and looks good too.

If your 45 is .177 try H&N Silhouette, these were fantastic in 45s, just ask BT.

Also, don't forget that John Ford started producing his 'SportsMatch' Mounts in '83 so these are perfect for a period combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think they are 11mm if I can remember back 20 years ... The Weihrauchs had 13mm dovetails until the late 1970s, and the Hammerlis did too, can't remember any other 13mms from those days. Rhino and Apel did make 13mm mounts I am sure, but most were the 11mm ones.

For real authenticity, most people used two-piece mounts as the one-piece jobs were very expensive (£25, just under half the price of a new HW35 from a discount house) and these usually meant having an arrestor block as well, fitted behind the rear mount. You can still get them I think from Chambers, Knibbs or Manchester Air Guns.
    Thanks for that - I have a Rhino 1-piece mount in 13mm that is now surplus since the HW35 it was fitted to is no longer around.

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    Thanks for that - I have a Rhino 1-piece mount in 13mm that is now surplus since the HW35 it was fitted to is no longer around.
    Contact Gareth W-B, he is interested in one of these for his Hammerli 402 urban camo special.

Will do thanks - I will dig it out of my spares box first.

Hi Copperjacket.
    I should receive the Original 45 on tuesday and would be interested in the mount if the rifle has 13mm dovetails. Can't measure it until then i'm afraid.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Hi Copperjacket.
    I should receive the Original 45 on tuesday and would be interested in the mount if the rifle has 13mm dovetails. Can't measure it until then i'm afraid.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    No problem - I have to find it first.