Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howa - Axiom

Howa - Axiom

Well, more of a first impression than a review.

In November I ordered a Howa 1500 in.308 with heavy stainless barrel and the aluminium Axiom stock, it finally arrived and I picked it up last Saturday!
    Today I got to shoot it!

Zeroing only took about 10 rounds, then it was shooting to point of aim. I put another 20 rounds through it, just to get the feel, then had a red centre put on the target, you know the loose ones with a wire through the centre, about 2.5" dia.

I'm pleased to say that I then put 5 shots on the red disc, things were a bit up and down after that, but considering the weather, rain, cloud, strong wind gusting and veering, oh and an improvised shooting rest (my gun bag) I'm pretty well chuffed....did I mention the range?.300 metres

There's no detachable box mag, so loading is through the ejection port, a bit fiddly with a big scope mounted and feeding wasn't always smooth. I'll put that down to a new gun and see if it free's up with use. Single round feed was perfect, as was ejection.

One of the reasons for getting the Axiom stock was the double recoil reduction system. I'd seen the website and the demo looked amazing, but you never know until you try it. I can confirm that it really works, felt recoil was about the same as my .223 Speedmaster, very light for a .308 and no fatigue after a mornings' shooting.

I've also got the same Howa action in a laminated thumbhole stock in .223 that needs to be 'scoped up and I'm looking forward to taking them to the sniper range at Lydd, 1100 metres should show their true potential.

Updates to follow.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...-Guycep002.jpg

Barry

did you spot the shots , any muzzel flip , you know what i mean

Quote Originally Posted by nice one View Post
    did you spot the shots , any muzzel flip , you know what i mean
    Had butt markers. No muzzle flip, there's a compensator and the recoil reduction system pulled the muzzle a little to the left, but the target was still visible through the scope.

Barry

Nice one Barry!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Nice one Barry!!
    Thanks Simon, like yours too!

Barry

bet they are great in 204

Barry to which city is Lydd rifle range close to? do they have metal gongs hanging at different distances over there?

as a side note, does anyone know if radnor ranges are still in use?

Thanks for the review barry.

Quote Originally Posted by flims View Post
    Barry to which city is Lydd rifle range close to? do they have metal gongs hanging at different distances over there?

as a side note, does anyone know if radnor ranges are still in use?

Thanks for the review barry.
    Lydd is on the Romney Marsh midway between Rye and New Romney. I haven't shot on every serial there (they have 65!) but I don't know of one using metal gongs.
    It's used by the army for training troops deploying to Iraq and Afganistan so has paper targets, falling plate, electronic and long distance sniper as well as "urban" scenarios.

Barry

Got my paws on one of these today in the shop, the FAC application is going in
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    Got my paws on one of these today in the shop, the FAC application is going in
    You won't regret it!

Barry

I will, it will cost me a soddin fortune
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    I will, it will cost me a soddin fortune
    Not as much as an RPA!

Barry

What ammo were you using ? and did it have a standard trigger, my Howa 1500 stainless varmint has, and the pull is dreadful. Whilst mine is accurate at 100 yards with FMJ, I doubt that I could achieve a 2.5 inch spread at 300 yards, even from a rest.
    As an aside, I'm not sure what stainless means to Howa, because in my case I've got rust on the receiver and barrel from getting drenched at Bisley a few weeks ago. It went rusty before I could get home and clean it.

Vic T

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    What ammo were you using ? and did it have a standard trigger, my Howa 1500 stainless varmint has, and the pull is dreadful. Whilst mine is accurate at 100 yards with FMJ, I doubt that I could achieve a 2.5 inch spread at 300 yards, even from a rest.
    As an aside, I'm not sure what stainless means to Howa, because in my case I've got rust on the receiver and barrel from getting drenched at Bisley a few weeks ago. It went rusty before I could get home and clean it.

Vic T
    Vic,

factory ammo bought from the club, 156 gr. BT from memory.
    Yes, standard triggers on both, .308 has a "surprise" break with no creep and .223 is even better although I've only dry fired it so far. Howa say trigger is user adjustable and my RFD thinks you should be able to a 1lb. let off with no trouble. Have you spoken to your dealer or Highland Outdoors?
    Better check my stainless is rust free tonight!

Barry
    Last edited by 1911 Shooter; 06-05-2008 at 09:24 PM.

have you shot it again hows it going ??????????????