Thread: Remington SS5R Milspec Part I

Remington SS5R Milspec Part I

This is my virgin Remington SS5R Milspec.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_4080.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_4082.jpg

This is one of six brought in by Alan Wey (01306713320) and the basic rifle comes in with plenty of change under £1200, which is a good bit more than other Remington 700's. It is a factory rifle, all done in house, but not in the Remington catalogue. Its all fairly standard bar the obvious HS Precision stock and 308 stainless, they only come in stainless, 24 inch barrel with a specialized rifling 1:11.25 twist rate. I've had added a Hunters cheek piece, accushot monopod, bolt knob, 10moa scope rail, Leupold mounts, Zeiss scope and Quick Silver moderator. Its a Remington 700 short action so sky's the limit to what you can do. I would like something other than the harris bipod and maybe a magazine system.

Someone asked for this spec rifle in numbers and the first put on the open civilian market were over runs. Now batches are done as a sideline to the main production catalogue rifles. So there is a limited supply. However, they are now doing some in .223 1:9 twist and 300 win mag 1:10 twist. They all look the same. Alan has half the orders he needs to get another batch over, enough to spread the import costs out a bit, so nows the time though don't expect your order to arrive overnight as these take time to source (think 6 months). (If you want a catalogue Remington then Alan can get you one from the UK importers like everyone else.)

How do they shoot? Well if you can't wait until Part II, then here is my arm chair appraisal. Of the six over here, all 308, 5 have been shot Three fitted with moderators and three without.
    One is the Gaick Estate Factors rifle and fitted with a Quick Silver moderator, the same as mine, and has accounted for 60 beasts and never misses a beat. Comments are that the mod isn't the quietest but not by much and makes up for it by being feather weight. The rifle is a bit long and should really be painted. Everyone loves it.
    From the firing point Alan Weys, and a couple of club shots are all putting in the v bulls out too 1000m. They are giving a run for their money rifles weighing more and costing double if not more. In fact they are only being pipped to first position. So it does the job.

I'll give a fuller more detailed report once my separated shoulder, holiday accident, is mended and I can get out with my new toy. Its something different; though a bit pricey compared to a catalogue Remington. It needs a few extras but you do get a very shootable package that doesn't weigh a tonne but still well stiff enough to keep those groups, first shot, where you want. Oh, they like 170gr ish fodder and seem to shoot most things to under 1/2 mao. Out of the box that will do me.
    Last edited by Muskett; 26-01-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Picture.

many thanks for the review, unfortunately the image link is down? thanks again.

Pictures back on line. A bit flat without them
    Once the pheasant season over I'll have it rocking

Your rifle looks really good musket, that bolt Knob especially sets it off

TB.

n ice rig mate

mod looks odd being that thin tho!

u goin to keep wth the heavy stuff?

155s Amax are greast in my parker hale out to the furthest ive tried it!(900yds)

going to try a revised lapua 155g load & if that fails ill just keep with the amax!

my first atempt with the lapuas were 3/4" ish but i was a fair way from the lands & loading on the slow side!(with a twist that aint really fast enough for the job)

time will tell:-)

have fun with ur new toy

Andy

Treebone; nice job you did with the target knob Infact might as well plug your services here: If you want a target Knob fitted to your Rem 700 Treebone does it perfectly.

Andy,
    I've several loads and configurations all ready to go. Just need the right conditions to do the job properly. Part II will be a few months.

The moderator is very very good. It does the job to moderate the sound and flash. I would be hard pressed to say it was the best but it is good. Head to head with some of the big lumps I can't do but it can't be far off. The fact its titanium does allow the rifle to keep its balance and make it shootable from standing and other positions; something that can not be said of some of the bricks stuck on the end of rifles. If I had a smaller lighter scope then this rifle would be very manageable indeed for a true sporting rifle. More in Part II.

Hi Muskett is the barrel profile different from the pss, looks to be more tapered. Looking forward to field results.

neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

I believe it is but nothing radical. The rifling is different too and the barrel is 24 inch rather than 26. Stock is also a little different as it was made just for this rifle. There is a debate as to it being better than the PSS for the few $$ more. Get a good rifle of either of them and you'll have something very very good. I went for this one and I'm pleased I did.

Thanks, from what I've read, the 5R rifling fouls less. One's been on my want list for a while. and I've not heard of one that won't cluster out of the box.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.