Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids Air pistol Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    I'd get single shot too, and like Rob M says, SSP or spring is probably best.

However, I'd choose a rifle as a first gun for a child. It's easier to keep a rifle pointed in a safe direction, and hitting the target is easier, and hitting the target more will boost confidence more and help maintain his interest.

Thanks for all your advice chaps. However, I've decided to go with Nikkormat (and the gunshop's) sound advice and buy a junior rifle.

I picked up an SMK 15 Junior last night - £69.99. Kids are so fickle I elected not to spend to much as it might be another passing fad. If he does take to it, we'll upgrade as he grows. The SMK looks just the ticket; light, quite short and easy to handle, and much easier for me to keep it pointing in a safe direction.

Any tips for teaching him 'gun safety' without being too overbearing?

Quote Originally Posted by chutley View Post

Any tips for teaching him 'gun safety' without being too overbearing?

Get to know your airgun, how it works, what all the parts are, and what they do.

Always treat an airgun as if it's loaded, even if you know it isn't.

Always check the airgun is unloaded on first handling.

Never Ever point an airgun at a person even in gest, even if you know it's unloaded.

Always have your airgun pointing down range, know where your barrel is pointing at all times.

Make sure you have a good back stop so pellets can't leave the boundary of your property.

Do not load your airgun until you are ready to fire it and are sure that the shot will be safe.

Keep your finger away from the trigger until you are ready to take the shot.

Before pulling the trigger, consider where the pellet might travel if you miss the target - don't shoot unless the shot is perfectly safe.

Never put a loaded airgun down, Never rely on a safety catch to make an airgun 'safe'.

Never leave a airgun unattended.

You can never be too Over-bearing when it comes to AirGun Safety.
    Last edited by cookie; 06-01-2010 at 02:24 PM.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

I'd go with the HW40 too.

For all the reasons stated before. Its very accurate for such a cheap pistol.

Happy New Year everyone
    Linnet67
    My Guns: a Walther LP200;& a Weihrauch HW40PCA

Af10

Gamo AF10, cheap and very good and the 10 shot bb function is good as well, especially snce a tin of 500 Gamo lead balls costs about 3.50.

I love mine..

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Gamo AF10, cheap and very good and the 10 shot bb function is good as well, especially snce a tin of 500 Gamo lead balls costs about 3.50.

I love mine..
    I just picked one of these up for 30 quid from the Sales section.
    Excellent recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Get to know your airgun, how it works, what all the parts are, and what they do.

Always treat an airgun as if it's loaded, even if you know it isn't.

Always check the airgun is unloaded on first handling.

Never Ever point an airgun at a person even in gest, even if you know it's unloaded.

Always have your airgun pointing down range, know where your barrel is pointing at all times.

Make sure you have a good back stop so pellets can't leave the boundary of your property.

Do not load your airgun until you are ready to fire it and are sure that the shot will be safe.

Keep your finger away from the trigger until you are ready to take the shot.

Before pulling the trigger, consider where the pellet might travel if you miss the target - don't shoot unless the shot is perfectly safe.

Never put a loaded airgun down, Never rely on a safety catch to make an airgun 'safe'.

Never leave a airgun unattended.

You can never be too Over-bearing when it comes to AirGun Safety.
    All of that, plus stress he mustn't take it out to show his mates!
    My Guns: a Walther LP200;& a Weihrauch HW40PCA

9 Year Old

Is there an Airgunner in here? is the first Question?

Todays Lads/Lasses are soft spoiled Wimps! in the main today,

Buy him/her a Cheap chinkie springer, (having checked it for safety) instruct soundly and with respect to their limitations,

If physical difficulty is experienced in cocking said cheapo pistol, cock one out of three times for him/her and encourage/demonstrate technique that works safely for them, encourage at all times and provide ammo and access to air gun only whilst you are present,

Thus demonstrating restraint and safety,

If they dump! it, they are unlikely to be interested in the long term,

Occasional bursts of enthusiasm may well be fanned into a long lasting warmth for Air Guns,

My Dad and Elder Brother bought me a Webley Junior .177in for my 11th Birthday,

I was not strong enough to cock it, My Dad and Bro showed me how,

And left me to it,

Ten or more days after My Dad taught me how to shoot safely,

I never forgot,

I have 11 Air Pistols and 4 Air Rifles,

Excellent.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by ratgunner View Post

Todays Lads/Lasses are soft spoiled Wimps! in the main today,

Buy him/her a Cheap chinkie springer, (having checked it for safety) instruct soundly and with respect to their limitations,
    The problem with these - I own one - is that they are so inherently inacurate that they eally couldn't keep anyone occupied very long. The kid will simply lose interest very quickly if he thinks this is what air pistols are really all about: they're just no fun at all.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Cheap Chinkie Pistol

Absolutely no disrespect Jim,

But ( there will always be a but Lol)

SMK market an eight inch barrelled springer pistol by West Lake (China) for a penny under forty pounds and a wooden gripped version for even less ( if you like your wood to look like an outside privy)

They are hard for a young un to cock but once Dad has had a look and a tweak, they are very accurate,

I have been shooting the Kibworth Pistol Shoots with one with a red dot sight and came sixth in the last shoot,

I have since swapped it for a BSA Magnum 240 that needs much TLC,

However a Very Kind Gent gave me a beat up Wood gripped West Lake on my Birthday whilst on Kibworth Range,

It is now a glossy green wood gripped very accurate pistol,

That said, I still think if a young un shows interest go for it but keep it cheap,
    the best ever shots started with ball and black powder and much later with a springer,

All The Best Jim,

Bernard.

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    The problem with these - I own one - is that they are so inherently inacurate that they eally couldn't keep anyone occupied very long. The kid will simply lose interest very quickly if he thinks this is what air pistols are really all about: they're just no fun at all.

Jim
    I'd have to agree with that Jim, mine only comes out to shoot the spring category for a bit of fun and to give paddy some company

hw40 as was suggested is a lovely pistol, essaying to cock and deadly accurate.
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Got my boy a Webley Junior, about 50 years old, and he knows its his

Wayne
    If you know how many guns you’ve got, you haven’t got enough.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club Member

Absolutely no disrespect Jim,

But ( there will always be a but Lol)

SMK market an eight inch barrelled springer pistol by West Lake (China) for a penny under forty pounds and a wooden gripped version for even less ( if you like your wood to look like an outside privy)

They are hard for a young un to cock but once Dad has had a look and a tweak, they are very accurate,

I have been shooting the Kibworth Pistol Shoots with one with a red dot sight and came sixth in the last shoot,

I have since swapped it for a BSA Magnum 240 that needs much TLC,

However a Very Kind Gent gave me a beat up Wood gripped West Lake on my Birthday whilst on Kibworth Range,

It is now a glossy green wood gripped very accurate pistol,

That said, I still think if a young un shows interest go for it but keep it cheap,
    the best ever shots started with ball and black powder and much later with a springer,

All The Best Jim,

Bernard.

Glad you had / have a couple good specimens of the critter, Bernard. Mine? It's good only for the amusement value of trying to anticipate just where on the target the pellet's going to land.

Assuming that it lands on the target in the first place!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    I'd have to agree with that Jim, mine only comes out to shoot the spring category for a bit of fun and to give paddy some company

hw40 as was suggested is a lovely pistol, essaying to cock and deadly accurate.
    Sounds as through Bernard got the good 'uns, we got the bad, Sol.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Sounds as through Bernard got the good 'uns, we got the bad, Sol.

Jim

Hello Very Good Sir's

You want buy good spring Pistol???

Have I bargain for you Sir's Genuine SMK Chinese Spring Pistol,

Very cheap?? Once belonged to very strange English Person

No??

My Sister ver nice Lady, Clean ver Cheap......

Hello Very Good Sir's

You want buy good spring Pistol???

Have I bargain for you Sir's Genuine SMK Chinese Spring Pistol,

Very cheap?? Once belonged to very strange English Person

No??

My Sister ver nice Lady, Clean ver Cheap......
    I maybe trade you, chopsticks, used by Chinese Emperor, very nice...