Thread: Swapping barrels on a Senior...

Swapping barrels on a Senior...

Daft question I fear but is there any difference in a Webley Senior as originally supplied in .177 or .22 apart from the barrel itself? Would it have been common to purchase say a .177 with a .22 barrel at the same time?

And is there any way to guesstimate the power output of a Senior (ie healthy power output or not) without a chrono. Mine will happily shoot .177 Wasps through both sides of one of the thick tinned fruit cans but it ain't a very scientific test...
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Far as I'm aware just the barrels are different and a straight swap.
    I'm also pretty certain the different sized barrels were available as spares for just this purpose.
    Mine is around 400fps in .177 (obviously depending on pellet) and is pretty indicative of a healthy one.

webley

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Far as I'm aware just the barrels are different and a straight swap.
    I'm also pretty certain the different sized barrels were available as spares for just this purpose.
    Mine is around 400fps in .177 (obviously depending on pellet) and is pretty indicative of a healthy one.
    Yep - as above

I bought a cased Senior which had a .22 barrel fitted and a spare(unused .177) in the old Webley case.
    On the chrono it was doing about 340 ft/sec.

I fitted the .177 barrel (that had been supplied with the links attached) and velocity was around 460ft/sec with light weight RWS wadcutter 7 grain pellets
    JSB pellets (8.4 grain) are around 400 ft/sec

John
    hold me back !!

Thanks chaps - I don't have access to a chrono unfortunately - did plan to buy one of the basic ones but I believe they are not compatable with the Webley style pistols.

Any way to measure a guesstimate without one??

400 ft/sec - quick test without chrono

Yep

With wadcutter pellets, using a standard 10 metre pistol/rifle NSRA card, any gun that produces neatly punched holes in the card at 10 metres is producing in excess of 390-400 ft/sec at the muzzle

A .177 Webley pistol shooting over 400 ft/sec is in good nick

We use this as a quick and simple test on FAS604's, Webley Tempests/Hurricanes, Gamo's etc at the club

Hobby or RWS R10's are 7 grain and should give over 400 ft/sec at 10 M

ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Thanks John - it goes through both sides of a heavy guage tin at 5m and through a thick magazine so I guess it is pretty healthy.