Thread: Snowy Target Shooting

Snowy Target Shooting

Today seemed like a good day to catch up with a couple of rounds of 50m postal competition but the Lincs. weather wasnt sure if it agreed,it turned out to be a great days shooting though
    189 ex 200 and 194 ex 200 wont win the competition but it was enough to keep me happy

[
    Last edited by martini1215; 16-03-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: sort fotos
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Well done mate-good score in those conditions
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Nice photos and good shooting!

Remember!! Expect anything up to 100 fps less velocity in these conditions.
    Not sure if that would be a significant or marginal drop for rimfire at 50 metres or not though.

Ps... some one obviously has a few quid! Is that a Gemini Stock I can see in the back ground??

Ad

Congratulations on your eyesight yes thats a Gemini in the background and the gentleman who shoots with it stiil does very well in club ,county and at Bisley he knocked my scores into a cocked hat that day and also gave some good advice on postition and technique,I think thats what I like about target shooting even if I happen to be shooting a round which is against him he will still stand there and give helpful advice and even be happy if the scores his coaching brings means I beat him
    atb Neil
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Great pics, but you really need your head examined!

Quick question for you. While you were shooting in the snow did you notice my mirage? I was out in it the other week shooting some BR at 50m and noticed that there was quite a bit, well in the gap between snow showers and it getting dark. I was trying out the new facility that we have just got a my club, the targets are about 6' off the ground, which is why I was surprised to see much movement at 50m. Of course as I am now using a good quality 36× scope I guess I will be seeing a lot more mirage.

Alan

Sorry Al didnt see mirage that day,,lol normally get plenty in the summer though

on a serious note I went up to 4.2 on my foresight element as it was dark from cloud and continually falling snow,I normally use between 3.6 and 3.9 also had to force myself to ignore the spirtit level as melting snow was causing the bubble to look wrong
    atb Neil

Neil you surprise me with the size of foresight elements that you usually use! I used to think that I was using a relativly small ring when using a minimum of 3.9mm. I used to find that I needed to use the 3.9 at 25x as otherwise I got intrusion from the other aiming marks. I used to go as far as 4.5mm standing, but talking to some of the better scoring younger shooters it seems that 4.2mm is about average for prone these days, and 5 and even bigger is being used. I did once shoot without an element at 1000 yards at Bisley as it was still a bit misty.

Alan

I have shot at 50m using no foresight element during coaching sessions with one of our olympic veterans who comes to visit us each summer, I have always used these sizes for about 30 years of shooting and really must try to sort myself out now my eyes are getting older and less able to cope