Thread: British Air at the Trough

British Air at the Trough

On my latest trip to UK to collect additions to my meager collection, I was stunned to be presented with an excess baggage charge for "firearm handling" from BA. British Air have long been known for their mean attitude to traveler's baggage, but this is pure extortion. I guess that they have us airgun collectors by the short hairs. It was not so long ago that airlines gave 50% off the baggage weight limit for sporting goods (which included air guns). So overseas purchasers would be wise to select a different airline. Sadly BA's meanness has caught on. I've just found out that my next trip with EVA Air, they have adopted BA's parsimonious 23kg baggage allowance. My collector's wings have been well and truly clipped!

so has delta,there all the same,used to be two suit cases but now its only one.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcDV View Post
    On my latest trip to UK to collect additions to my meager collection, I was stunned to be presented with an excess baggage charge for "firearm handling" from BA. British Air have long been known for their mean attitude to traveler's baggage, but this is pure extortion. I guess that they have us airgun collectors by the short hairs. It was not so long ago that airlines gave 50% off the baggage weight limit for sporting goods (which included air guns). So overseas purchasers would be wise to select a different airline. Sadly BA's meanness has caught on. I've just found out that my next trip with EVA Air, they have adopted BA's parsimonious 23kg baggage allowance. My collector's wings have been well and truly clipped!
    You have to understand that BA are doing you a major favour in taking your money - then you can forgive their attitude.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Back in '91, I flew home from San Francisco after a business trip to CCI (Custom Chrome International), with American Airlines. My limited clothing (jeans, sweats, t-ees, socks, and grundies), were in a hand held ruck sack.

The two huge suit cases I put into the luggage hold however, each contained six Mikuni performance carburettors and chrome filter covers, for big twin Harley Davidsons (they were for me and my mates in Kent ).

These suit cases were really weighty, but a quick flirtation with the drop dead gorgeous young lady at check-in (remember, I was twenty years younger and six stone lighter back then, so could pull it off ), saw said cases go through at no extra charge ... Can't see that happening these days, eh ???
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 07-01-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: house keeping.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Once (1997 I think) flew back from Rome, Ciampino (charter airport, for cut to the bone, budget airlines) with a bag weighing 60 KG that I'd ported all the way form Tirana via hydrofoil (and before anyone asks it was full of books). I thought I might pay a little bit of excess, but check in assistant did not bat an eyelid, straight through. I know know that a: it should have cost me several hundred quid, b: its a damn sight easier to go over without being charged on flights out of Mediteranean countries. In the uK they always get officious and arsy.