Thread: Walther Model 55 (LG55)

Lightbulb Walther Model 55 (LG55)

New to this so please bear with me. having read through some threads I have noticed alot of you out there know what you are talking about when it comes to air rifles. I was given a Walther LG55 withTyrolean 21 years ago by my grandad and am after any history (when they were made etc). Someone mentioned it is a collectors item and I should insure it-is this the case and what are the current values??
    It has all the original peep sights, blueing all still intact etc I had the spring replaced by a gunsmith last year other than that plunger,trigger etc still the original.
    Any advice would be appreciated thanx

Very nice rifle the Walther LG55. The 1950s Walther spring rifles were the among the first dedicated 10m match rifles, aimed at satisfying the fast-growing German target market.

The Tyrolean version of the LG55 is not particularly unusual - quite a few have come onto the market in the last couple of years - and in Germany they usually sell for between about 200 and 350 euros depending on condition and whether they have other desirable features like figured stocks, double set triggers etc.

Here is a potted history of the Walther LG springers by Jim Edmondson, a US collector:

In 1951 Walther’s came out with their first post-WWII air rifle, hence the LG51, followed by the LG53, and then the LG55. Walther models 51, 52, 53, and 55 were made in parallel during most of their production lives, all being break barrel springers. The 51 was a simple open-sighted sporter with smooth bore, 52 included bore, the 53 had a sporter stock with improved trigger and match sights, the 55 had the target stock, an even finer trigger, and a lot of interesting options.

The LG55 began production in 1955 running through 1967 (available through 1974) and was a truly dedicated 10-meter match air rifle. Somer believe Walther's produced the LG55 to compete in the first pro-WWII German National Championship - reportedly Walther's built a very small number of special LG55 exclusely for the German National Team (something like six only). The LG55 is a barrel-cocker with simple chisel detent, heavy weight (yes, a lead chunk inside the fore end), 550 fps velocity, full match sights, and a superb adjustable match trigger. Wood is shaped in the classic rounded Olympia style, and was available in both beech and walnut. Tyrolean stocks were also available.

The Walther LGV (Luft Gewehr Verbessert = "Improved Air Rifle") was introduced as a further refined rifle in 1963 replacing the LG55 as the flagship match air rifle for the firm. The LGV was the ultimate development of the 53/55 series target springers, and incorporated the lever breech lock. It relied upon mass from a heavy barrel sleeve and weight in the forestock to damp recoil. This boosted the weight to a pretty hefty 10.4 pounds. The LGV is a beautifully made rifle. The initial Olympia-stocked version was later followed by more angular Match and Junior variants. A Tyrolean version was available as well. Most styles were available in both beech and walnut.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Lg 55 t

Classic rifle with a stunning level of quality, enhanced by the Tyrolean stock. As far as value, you talk market prices and hence, the economic climate.
    The outer condition is the most important factor, with the wood of course being the dominant element here. Technically these rifles can brought back to specs, with plenty of spares available; even the blueing can be upgradet. But not the wood in the sense of colour and structure.

I fully agree with the prices indicated by Garvin; as this is not a freshly baked loaf of bread you will always be depending on the sometimes whimsical decision making by buyers.
    To me you have a very special object that can be appreciated not only by shooters, and with perhaps a sentimental value that simply cannot be expressed in money.
    If there is no need for the latter, a (family-) piece to hold on to and to be passed on to the next generation.

Regards, Mike

P.S. And great fun to shoot with it's mild mannered nature!
    Last edited by M.Meijer; 08-01-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: P.S.

thank for your input gents-much appreciated.