Thread: Bsa Lincoln Jefferys value

Bsa Lincoln Jefferys value

I have one of the above in .22 in rough condition (back sight broken, stock cracked pitted etc).It still cocks and fires. On the top of the cyl it is stamped made by the birmingham small arms company ltd and has a letter m on the barrel under the cocking leaver. The gun is compleat inc metal but plate. Just wondering of its value, if its worth doing up, leaving as it is, or breaking for spares Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frankydiver View Post
    I have one of the above in .22 in rough condition (back sight broken, stock cracked pitted etc).It still cocks and fires. On the top of the cyl it is stamped made by the birmingham small arms company ltd and has a letter m on the barrel under the cocking leaver. The gun is compleat inc metal but plate. Just wondering of its value, if its worth doing up, leaving as it is, or breaking for spares Frank
    Probably best to post some pics of the rifle Frank. If you don't know how, email them to me and I'll post them up for you (addy in my profile).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Straight away a metal butt plate indicates a pre WWI rifle, and .22 cals were uncommon before WWI, so it is a desirable rifle.

If it is a really bad case,you could consider getting it restored. Depending on how deep the pitting was, it would probably be possible to polish most of the pitting out, as there is a lot of metal depth on these old guns, and then get it re-blued.
    I dont normally advocate this,prefering to leave guns as found but really bad cases of rare guns such as pre WWI .22's maybe deserve 'The Treatment'

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

ATB

Lakey

Posted some pictures to garvin (I hope)

Here they are. I'd say "The Treatment" is in order.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I think even Edbear would struggle to make that look good!
    Bless it, it looks like it's been lying at the bottom of a pond!
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

Hi,

I wouldn't restore that one as its too badly pitted to ever come good. It would look nasty restored.
    Instead I would respring, reseal and lube it and just enjoy it as a veteran airgun that has survived a century of use ! A testiment to the great design and high quality materials and workmanship.
    Perhaps rub a little linseed oil into the stock and gently oil and wirewool the metalwork.

It may well shoot very nicely.

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Blimey!! Those pits are deep......those pits are deep (see an echo)

By the time you give that one "The Treatment" sufficient to lose those pits you wont have any gun left

I think Silva's advice is spot on - to enjoy the gun as it is as a scruffy but practical shooter.

You win some, and you lose some

Lakey

Thanks to you all for the advice. The gun shoots fine and I only gave £20 for it . Its a nice bit of history to have in the cabinet