Thread: amount of bp allowed to store

amount of bp allowed to store

greetings all, this is the first time i have put a question to the forum i ave held a fac since 1963 for range and overland recently i was introduced to bp pistols i now have two of my own a .36 reb navy 1851 and a .44 f.llipietta my query is what qty of bp are my allowed to hold

Did your FEO not discuss this with you when you had your visit ?

The usual line of questioning is "how much BP will YOU want to hold" followed by "where will you hold it" followed by "can I see your storage arrangements" .. unless at the tim .......you told him you were only shooting 777 - in which case he wouldn't have asked any of that !

Roy

See the attached link from the ssbpcrc - tells you all you need ....

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Faq.htm
    Last edited by harricook; 08-01-2010 at 02:08 PM.

amount of bp to be held

cheers roy i am aware of storage conditions my application form for an explosives cert. has nt been sent in yet my nearest supplier is about a 60 mile round trip away so i was wondering what qty. i could store looks like i will have to contact my fo before i send my form in

You need a separate licence and a special wooden box to hold black powder - however if you use 777 or similar subsitiute you can purchase as much as you like and (I think) without any licence

Hence unless you want to shoot in a serious "black powder" only leaque stay away from the dirty stuff and use 777 - its easier to clean

Load of powder burners in the two clubs I am a member of and no one uses black powder only substitute

amount of bp allowed to store

thanks for your advice scouse as i mentioned earlier the bp scene is all new to me so all advice is appreciated , stamped on the barrel of the .44 (black powder only ) now is 777 ok to use in this gun

Quote Originally Posted by LeScouse View Post
    ...Load of powder burners in the two clubs I am a member of and no one uses black powder only substitute
    .....and the opposite with us ..... two clubs - no-one uses substitute !

I have dabbled with both 777 & Pyrodex - but have come back to the 'DArk Side'

Roy

As above. I tried 777 but went back to the proper black stuff. As did a couple of the other guys who shoot b.p. Cant think of anyone who uses a substitute. The only advantage i can see with 777 is you dont need a licence or special storage but the licence is free and ALL POWDERS should be correctly stored.
    When applying just put "max legal amount" In reality i shoot at least once a week a range of black powder guns from .577" .45/70 .45 revolver and .44 revolver and use probably 3 kilo a year, Mostly in the .577" at 75grns a pop.
    Have Fun, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Kenevs View Post
    thanks for your advice scouse as i mentioned earlier the bp scene is all new to me so all advice is appreciated , stamped on the barrel of the .44 (black powder only ) now is 777 ok to use in this gun
    Yes 777 or Pyrodex is fine in your "Black Powder Only"

amount of bp to be stored

thanks for all the info i wll apply for an explosive cert. but as all of you have done try the subs.

'Holy Black' is the only way to go ... (Swiss that is!)
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'