Thread: Proposal to change issf rules

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Proposal to change issf rules

There are draft minutes of the ISSF technical committee in circulation which wil affect all target rifle shooters who shoot to those rules which includes the NSRA.
    The proposal will ban shooting boots from the standing position, and change the dimensions of clothing, jackets, pants, gloves which would result in all existing equipment becoming illegal! Yes that means every shooter would need to buy new kit to meet the rules! JUST LEAVE THE RULES ALONE!
    This is a move to control the elite few but will impact on all shooters across the world! It would destry the grass roots of our sport!
    There is opposition from many sources and countries, but it needs the vocal masses to object. A leading light of the plan is Britains ISSF tech committee member David Parish.
    The email addresses of Parish and the President of the ISSF is on the ISSF website. Not that I would dreaam of suggesting that thousands of shooters should block their inboxes, but it would let them know we object!
    Best regards
    Robin

Robin,

Thanks for this... you'll find MASSIVE coverage of this on the Stirton forums too. Massive response!!

I hope it doesnt get passed and doubt it will

Adam

Sent to me just know by someone who I will not and cannot name.

I have a full draft of the ISSF Technical Committee rules, plus an MSN conversation between two top international shooters who are opposed to these proposals.

Don't forget that these are just proposals, and whilst it is true that David Parish is supporting them, he is only one Member of the Committee. There can be no drastic changes until after OG 2012, when the new rule book is printed. (the rest I have omitted - Adam)

Adam

"There are draft minutes of the ISSF technical committee in circulation which wil affect all target rifle shooters who shoot to those rules which includes the NSRA."

Be careful, the ISSF rules only apply to comps being shot under them.

The most NSRA comps are not shot under the ISSF rules with exception to the 50mtrs International in June.

Alan

Adam
    I'm not clever enough to patch it on here but the draft minutes of the Tech committee are on Pilkguns, "Target Talk" , Olympic rifle, and then something like "New uneccessary Rules", if you look you'll find it.
    If you read the minutes it's not just one man, it looks like it was agreed by the whole Tech committee. They are also in favour of bringing the rules changes forward from 2013 to 2011 and suggest that boots be banned in standing in 2010!
    Alan
    The local 25 yd stuff is not to ISSF, but Most NSRA 50 mt and three positional, and more importantly all air rifle is shot to ISSF rules, national and county.
    Best regards
    Robin

This is the same committee that tried to get trousers banned, the response from the grass roots made them change their minds, lets hope it works again.
    Regards
    Bob

I must say gents this is all a little bit worrying isnt it....... hmmm

Adam

Is this just about the standing position from 3P?

Or are they looking to make LSR more rule bound? The thing I love about LSR is you can just turn up with the same rifle you hunt with and compete.

Is our LSR even covered by ISSF rules?

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Is this just about the standing position from 3P?

Or are they looking to make LSR more rule bound? The thing I love about LSR is you can just turn up with the same rifle you hunt with and compete.

Is our LSR even covered by ISSF rules?
    Nah, LSR is a national discipline, as is Gallery Rifle. Remember they gained popularity in large part through their adoption of Pistol courses after 1997, which is a domestic matter that has no bearing outside the UK.
    ISSF has nothing to do with them, they're governed by NSRA and NRA respectively.

The changes to jacket & trouser thicknesses would affect all rifle disciplines - Prone, 3P and Air. Basically all jackets and trousers would become illegal because they'll be too thick, and trousers would not be allowed "reinforcement" (i.e. the grippy bits on knee and bum for kneeling). They also want to restrict materials to leather and canvas, so the new plastic and rubber jackets that people have spent £00s on in the past couple of years will have to be replaced.
    It's no exageration to say every single person who competes in events where ISSF Equipment Control is carried out will have to buy all new clothing. That's why there's rumblings about whether manufacturers are behind this or if anyone on the Tech Committee has vested interests. Makers would suddenly be getting thousands of orders for new gear overnight.

That they are considering bringing this in in 2011 is also bizarre - making everyone change gear one year before the LOGs. The 2013 date was because they usually revise the rules every 4 years, just after the Olympics go by ready for the new 4-year Olympic cycle. That they are suggesting major revisions like this just a year after the 2009-2012 rulebook was released, and that they are contemplating changes for 2011 is bizarre. It will be a disruption to everyone's training and the race for quota places, not to mention a heavy financial burden on athletes, right when their costs are highest in the cycle (travel, etc for attending every intl event in the chase for quota slots).
    It'll also dissuade grassroots shooters from competing in events like the British 50m Champs where Equip Control is enforced, because they'll have to replace potentially £500+ of perfectly good gear to compete. They'll just stick to domestic dsciplines like 25yd, Dewar courses and ISSF-style matches where EC is not enforced.

The ban on boots applies to anything that isn't Kneeling, so the Standing & Prone sections of 3P, Prone Rifle (some people like to wear the full kit for everything), and also Air rifle.
    You will have to do Prone, Standing and Air in normal shoes/Pistol shoes, and could only use Boots for Kneeling.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 10-01-2010 at 01:47 AM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

It's not only that Hemmers, it's a burden on the manufacturers who will be pressured into getting kit out that's a new design and as good as their competitors, and getting it into shooter's hands... and that's without factoring tailoring and adaptation.

Something this dramatic, if it has to go through, has to be staggered.

There's 2 points of debate, why it's done, and how it's done.

Unfortunately, this sort of crap does nothing to draw people into the sport. I don't think this changes the fundamentals that affect grass roots shooters, so this is really just going to be change that just shifts everything sideways.

Coupled with the change to the bizarre run-shoot format for pentathlon, the even more bizarre proposal to introduce laser-guns to pentathlon and the general self-centred moroncy of the people at British Shooting with their bizarre "Section 5 " concession for the elite, this does make me wonder at the mentality of the bods running the higher echelons of the shooting sports. As an ideal, someone starting out in shooting should be able to rely on any equipment he buys seeing him/her all the way through to the international levels. This rule change will make that very difficult and expensive.

Guys
    The really sad thing is that the reasoning behind this is not for any logical purpose. It is clearly stated in the minutes and has been refered in other sources as being about image, Yes really, image!
    The tech committee object to the way rifle shooters walk and how it appears on TV! They call it the "penguin parade" and that phrase is used in the leaked minutes.
    Its not about bringing scores down or making the events more difficult, after all, is the standing position too easy? No, It's just because Mr Parish and his cronies don't like the image portrayed on TV of shooters not sprinting to the firing point and jumping about like athletes! But how often is it on TV anyway? 30 seconds a year? and that only in an olmypic year!
    This is total madness, this will result in millions of shooters worldwide having to replace their equipment, manufacturers and dealers will have loads of unsellable obsolete stock on their hands, not to mention the costs of re tooling, design, and supply for new products, this will cost manufacturers millions as well as the shooters. Many club and grass roots shooters will withdrawl from ISSF events or even pack up altogether, international and olympic hopefulls will need to change equipment and train to new rules a year before the olympics, and it is being proposed and strongly supported by Britains rep on the Tech committee.
    Best regards
    Robin

Any changes have to be approved by the rifle commitee, then the techincal commitee AFAIK, neither of which are guaranteed.

If the changes do go ahead it won't be until the beginning of the next Olympic cycle.

Whilst I agree these changes are totally wrong, they are a fair bit down the road and not agreed

I don't agree that the manufacturers will lose revenue, or the retailers for that matter. The only losers will be the shooters, as usual.

Hemmers, thanks for clearing that up.

Another reason to continue loving LSR over the bondage and strap bridgade