Thread: Wyatt Earp

Wyatt Earp

Wierd question for lover of old guns

Was watching Wyatt Earp (film with Kevin Costner) - There is a scene where they are hunting bison with what looks like a large calibre hex barrel single shot rifle

Any ideas what it is?

Cool Rifle

Sharps?

More interesting does anyone know how Big nose Kate earned the name.

br22

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

I'll bite!

Quote Originally Posted by br22 View Post

br22
    Two guesses
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

'Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts'

large rifle used in western

yeah sharps was the big rifle of that era

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by br22 View Post

br22
    I understand that she stuck her nose into everyone's business.

Watch the version with Kurt Russell as Wyatt, and Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday - TOMBSTONE - it's WAY better than the Costner version.

Personal comment: I saw Val Kilmer a year ago at a Mardi Gras parade - he was riding with Bacchus as Celebrity Marshall - and I was wearing a T-shirt with his line from the movie, "I'm your Huckleberry!"

As he passed, I shouted the line to him. He heard, laughed, and tossed a load of doubloons my way.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

See here for the specific rifle that was actually used in the movie.
    http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/22601.html

Jim, I agree with you 100%. Tombstone was way better and more entertaining than the Costner version, especially the portrayal of Doc Holliday by Val Kilmer. For me, it was Kilmer who carried the entire film. Saying that, I read somewhere that Dennis Quaid lost nearly 60lbs to play his version of Doc in Wyatt Earp and I would grudgingly have to admit that his portrayal of the character was nearer to what is factually know of the real man. In fact, if you look at some of the the early pics of Doc and compare them to Quaid as Doc, the resemblance is remarkable. But I’d rather have Val with his two pistols as Doc any day – and I only watched ‘Tombstone’ about 25 times

ATB,
    Krish

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Anand View Post
    See here for the specific rifle that was actually used in the movie.
    http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/22601.html

Jim, I agree with you 100%. Tombstone was way better and more entertaining than the Costner version, especially the portrayal of Doc Holliday by Val Kilmer. For me, it was Kilmer who carried the entire film. Saying that, I read somewhere that Dennis Quaid lost nearly 60lbs to play his version of Doc in Wyatt Earp and I would grudgingly have to admit that his portrayal of the character was nearer to what is factually know of the real man. In fact, if you look at some of the the early pics of Doc and compare them to Quaid as Doc, the resemblance is remarkable. But I’d rather have Val with his two pistols as Doc any day – and I only watched ‘Tombstone’ about 25 times

ATB,
    Krish
    Don't you love the line where - is it Curly Bill Brocius, or Johhny Ringo? - taunts him: "You're so drunk, you're probably seeing double!" , and Kilmer / Holliday responds, "Yeah, and I have two pistols: one for each of you!"

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone